This is beautiful. I've seen most of the pieces before, but I like it
Suggestions From Your Friends In
Information Technologies Support
1) When you call us to have your computer moved, be sure to leave it
buried under half a ton of postcards, baby pictures, stuffed animals,
dried flowers, bowling trophies and children's art. We don't have a
life, and we find it deeply moving to catch a fleeting glimpse of yours.
2) Don't write anything down. Ever. We can play back the error messages
3) When an IT person says he's coming right over, go for coffee. That
way you won't be there when we need your password. It's nothing for us
to remember 300 screensaver passwords.
4) When you call the help desk, state what you want, not what's keeping
you from getting it. We don't need to know that you can't get into your
mail because your computer won't power on at all.
5) When IT Support sends you an email titled "Important!", delete it at
once. We're just testing.
6) When an IT person is eating lunch at his desk, walk right in and
spill your guts right out. We exist only to serve.
7) Send urgent email all in uppercase. The mail server picks it up and
flags it as a rush delivery.
8) When the photocopier doesn't work, call computer support. There's
electronics in it.
9) When you're getting a NO DIAL TONE message at home, call computer
support. We can fix your telephone line from here.
10) When you have a dozen old computer screens to get rid of, call
computer support. We're collectors.
11) When something's wrong with your home PC, dump it on an IT person's
chair with no name, no phone number and no description of the problem.
We love a puzzle.
12) When you bring your own personal home PC for repair at the office,
leave the disks and documentation at home. We'll find all the settings
and drivers somewhere.....
13) When an IT person tells you that computer screens don't have
cartridges in them, argue. We love a good argument.
14) When an IT person tells you that he'll be there shortly, reply in a
scathing tone of voice: "And just how many weeks do you mean by
shortly?" That motivates us.
15) When the printer won't print, re-send the job at least 20 times.
Print jobs frequently get sucked into black holes.
16) When the printer still won't print after 20 tries, send the job to
all 68 printers in the company. One of them is bound to work.
17) There's no need to learn the proper name for anything technical. We
know exactly what you mean by "my thingy blew up"
18) Don't EVER use the online help. Online help is for wimps.
19) If the mouse cable keeps knocking down the framed picture of your
dog, lift the computer and stuff the cable under it. Mouse cables were
designed to have 20kg of computer sitting on top of them.
20) If the space bar on your keyboard doesn't work, blame it on the mail
upgrade. Keyboards are actually very happy with half a pound of muffin
crumbs and nail clippings in them.
21) Whenever you get a message saying "Are you sure?" click on that Yes
button as fast as you can. Hell, if you weren't sure, you wouldn't be
doing it, would you?
22) When you find an IT person on the phone with his bank, sit uninvited
on the corner of his desk and stare at him until he hangs up. We don't
have any money to speak of anyway.
23) Feel perfectly free to say things like "I don't know nothing about
that computer crap." We don't mind at all hearing our area of
professional expertise referred to as feces.
24) When an IT person gets on the elevator pushing $600,000 worth of
computer equipment on a cart, ask in a very loud voice: "Good grief, you
take the elevator to go DOWN one floor?!?" That's another one that
cracks us up no end.
25) When you need to change the toner cartridge in a printer, call IT
Support. Changing a toner cartridge is an extremely complex task, and
Hewlett-Packard recommends that it be performed only by a professional
engineer with a master's degree in nuclear physics.
26) When you can't find someone in the government directory, call IT
27) When you have a lock to pick on an old file cabinet, call IT
Support. We love to hack.
28) When something's the matter with your computer, ask your secretary
to call the help desk. We enjoy the challenge of having to deal with a
third party who doesn't know anything about the problem.
29) When you receive a 30mb (huge) movie file, send it to everyone as a
mail attachment. We've got lots of disk space on that mail server.
30) Don't even think of breaking large print jobs down into smaller
chunks. Somebody else might get a chance to squeeze a memo into the
31) When you lose your car keys, send an email to the entire company.
People out in Pofadder, Nebraska like to keep abreast of what's going
32) Don't bother to tell us when you move computers around on your own.
Computer names are just a cosmetic feature.
33) When you bump into an IT person at the grocery store on a Saturday,
ask a computer question. Heck, ask him to come look at it! We do
weekends. An overdone burger and a warm beer is always fair
compensation for several hours of weekend work.
Your Friends In IT Support