On Apr 23, 2013, at 11:40 PM, David Riley wrote:
Nope, nevermind, that didn't fix it. It got me to
BACKUP prompt... once. Haven't managed to duplicate it.
I'm still running the A7A revision of the firmware, so I
should try with both A8 and the B2A/B3 revisions that are
available. I'm particularly curious to see if they fixed
the zero disks/zero tapes bug I found in the B revs. In
any case, it seems like there's some bug related to CD
drives here that's somewhat time-dependent.
Updating the firmware to the B3A2 revision seems to have
done the trick. I'm now running through my second install
(my CD is reporting fatally bad blocks, so it's a good
thing I imaged it when I got it) and everything seems
fairly happy aside from the disc errors.
As far as I know, bumping to A8 might have fixed it, but
given the relatively long and interactive process that
testing several revisions would take, I thought I might
go for the gold. For those wondering: B3A2 seems to work
very nicely, and has vastly improved the online utility
(the one reachable through either executable code or the
serial port). It even seems to have added improved SCSI
clustering support, if anyone was interested in that.
And it even feels a bit snappier, though that's totally
subjective and possibly all in my head.
Thanks to Glen Slick for the link to the firmware! It
was quite helpful. I haven't established whether there
is still a bug related to zero disks/tapes, but I'm not
in the mood to recover another bricked board just now;
I'll check later.