You wrote...
>Just checking that my 8/e and PC0'4' (converted from a PC05) are still
>here.. Yes, they are ;-)
Yeah, there's been a rash of disappearences, some have reported suspicious
18-wheeler trucks parked in peoples back yards with 12 people moving
computer gear ;)
>That's probably my info - I converted a PC05 into a PC04 because I
>couldn't get the real thing either.
Why yes, now that I look it is. Kudo's to you BTW - it's a very nice clean
mod. I will do it if I have to, but wanted to check around for the "real
thing". There's just something heartsinking about taking a dremmel tool to
the front of my PC05 :)
One question though - why is the switch needed anyway (I never used the real
thing before)? It would seem to me that the PC05 arrangement where power is
turned on when data is sent works fine - why put a switch on it? If the
switch isn't needed for easy access, it could always be put on the rear or
out of site.
>You do need to get the DEC Omnibus -> PC04 interface (M840???). That's
>the only hard thing to find. The other flip-chip card is quite common.
Yup - the previous owner didn't have that either. I'm still hunting for the
module, but quite determined.
>I suppose the other thing to find would be a 'junker' PC04 and use the
>backplane and switch PCB + bezel (and rear label if you really want to be
>correct) to convert yours without any real changes. The punch and reader
>mechanisms, many of the cards, PSU, etc are the same.
True. I'll keep looking for a bit still... THANKS!
PS - I hope you didn't mind but someone on the list asked me for a copy of
the PC05/4 mod, so I passed on your email address. I apologize in advance if
youd've preferred me not to.
Regards,
Jay West
In einer eMail vom 03.02.99 12:24:16 MEZ, schreiben Sie:
<<
Jgzabol(a)aol.com wrote:
> There is a _WORKING_ 1130 at the IBM Museum in Sindelfingen, Germany.
Do you have any contacts there? I would love to visit that place.
Regards,
_---_--__-_-_----__-_----_-__-__-_-___--_-__--___-__----__--_--__-___-
Hans B Pufal Comprehensive Computer Catalogue
<mailto:hansp@digiweb.com> <http://digiweb.com/~hansp/ccc>
>>
The IBM museum there is a very remarkable place indeed. They have a lot
of equipment in perfect working condition, beginning with Hollerith equipment
more than 100 years old, _WORKING_ 650, _WORKING_ 1401,
_WORKING_ 1130, and several other things.
Contacts there are Mr. Reimer, or Mr. Spengler, or Mr. Kistermann,
+49-711-785 7434 phone.
The setup is that IBM pays the building any any direct cost, no salaries,
and the people there are all retired IBM employees - having all the knowledge,
tools, etc. , contributing their hours !!
The address is Bahnhofstrasse 43, Sindelfingen.
This is NOT a public place, visit by appointment ONLY.
The people there however enjoy very much showing their beautifully kept
machines.
Regards
John G. Zabolitzky
G'day,
This publication may be of interest to those willing to collect Soviet
computers (I never saw it, just found a reference to it in
<URL:http://www-db.stanford.edu/pub/gio/paperlist.html>.)
74. Wegner, Peter, J. Nestor, E. Schonberg, S. Smoliar, P.J.
Weinberger, G. Wiederhold, and P. Wolcott: System Software for
Soviet Computers; FASAC Technical Assessment Report, Science
Applications International Corporation, McLean VA, August 1989.
Another possible source of information: Charles Babbage Institute of
Computer History, National Bureau of Standards collection:
<URL:http://www.cbi.umn.edu/inv/nbs3.htm>
* ---. Soviet Cybernetics Technology: I. Soviet Cybernetics, 1959-
1962, 1963 Jun. NBS #: 6303048.
* ---. Soviet Cybernetics Technology: II. General Characteristics of
Several Soviet Computers, 1963 Aug. NBS #: 6303052.
* ---. Soviet Cybernetics Technology: III, Programming Elements of
the BESM, STRELA, URAL, M-3, and KIEV Computers, 1963 Sep. NBS #:
6326275.
* ---. Soviet Cybernetics Technology: V. Soviet Process Control
Computers, 1965 Nov. NBS #: 6526276.
More:
<URL:http://neptune.fedworld.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?waisdocid=1316428519+25+0+…>
Chip in the Curtain - Computer Technology in the Soviet Union (1989)
<URL:http://neptune.fedworld.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?waisdocid=1316428519+24+0+…>
Parallel Processing Research in the Former Soviet Union. (1992)
<URL:http://www.icfcst.kiev.ua/FRAME/books-fr.htm>
"History Computer Science Books"
(images of early Soviet computers are linked from this page)
<URL:http://www.alink.net/~avg/tetris.c>
A remake of Tetris, with look-n-feel of original version.
<URL:http://windoms.sitek.net/~fiks/tetris.zip>
"Tetris" for the MK-85 calculator.
<URL:http://www.zhurnal.ru/1/maslov.htm>
"Early days of Internet in Russia"
(I know of an ES-1010 that to this day runs MISS.)
<URL:http://kulichki.rambler.ru/moshkow/unixhelp/>
Some user documentation on Besta-88. Reportedly, Linux
<URL:http://www.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=329737050> and NetBSD
were ported to this machine.
<URL:http://www.vpti.vladimir.ru/rus/archives/humor/es.html>
A piece of folklore about ES-10xx series of machines. These are
"almost, but not quite, entirely different" :-) clones of IBM 360
series, except ES-1010, which is a clone of Mitra 225, and emulates
IBM 360 instruction set in software (if need arises).
<URL:nntp://fido7.mo.dec>
<URL:nntp://fido7.ru.bigblue>
<URL:nntp://fido7.su.mainframe>
<URL:nntp://fido7.zx.spectrum>
<URL:nntp://fido7.real.speccy>
<URL:nntp://fido7.ru.amiga>
These are FidoNet echomail conferences, bidirectionally gatewayed
to Usenet. See <URL:http://www.fido7.ru/> for details.
--
Sergey Svishchev -- svs{at}ropnet{dot}ru
>NO!!!! I just tried to run a SYSGEN on my RT-11 system, and I seem to
>have lost the filesystem when it started to rebuild the system. I'm able
>to boot to another partition (gotta love that WQESD controller), and I
>get the following results:
>
>.dir du2: <-DU2: is my main RT-11 disk
>
>?DIR-F-Invalid directory
What was the last thing you did (exact command, if you can remember it)
before you noticed the disk directory was bad - this will help in
determining how bad off you are.
If it was something trivial, and the directory (blocks 6 to 68) is
intact, it probably is something wrong with the home block (block 1).
If it wasn't something trivial, then the files may still be there, but
it will take some work finding the beginning of them (and it will
take your knowledge of what was on the disk).
Remember, RT-11 files are contiguous -- once you've found the beginning
of one, the whole file will be there (unless it was partially
overwritten).
>Please tell me there is a way to recover (unfortuanlty I doubt there is).
>I wasn't smart enough to make backups and everything I've been working on
>was on that partition.
As I mentioned, it depends on what you might have done... then again, the
controller might have, in a fit of brilliance, written whatever it pleased
on the disk...
Megan Gentry
Former RT-11 Developer
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '@' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
I hate to interrupt the discussion of "how to build a CD player
if you're stuck on a desert island with a box of valves and a
solder gun," but a friend sent me a note about an interesting
eBay auction (sorry, Doug, but you might like it):
<http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/ebayisapi.dll?viewitem&item=62692227>
Be sure to follow the link under "Read more information about this
auction" for The Rest Of The Story.
- John
>> ...
>>
>>The Meta 4 (from Digital Scientific) was a clone of the
>>IBM 1130, made in San Diego (ok, maybe Del Mar or Sorrento
>
>In fact, the Computerwoche article above maintains it is San Diego. I've
>seen San Diego in other Meta 4 references I've found like the one Stan
>offers below.
The headquarters and factory were in the Sorrento Valley, although their
mailing address may have been San Diego. I visited their offices once. I
supported a DSC Meta-4 for several years, about 1973 to 1976. It replaced
an IBM 1130 which it emulated exactly, but was 10 times faster when running
IBM 1130 FORTRAN IV programs. It was an elegantly simple machine. The
micro controller was truly a RISC machine, I think it had a 3 bit op code, 8
instructions.
>>Valley area) around 1970. IIRC it was called an 1130 clone, but
>>actually had the extra instruction(s) that would really make it an 1800
>>clone.
Yes it had the set/clear memory protection bits. The memory arrays in IBM
1130/1800's were 18 bits ... 16 data bits and 2 parity bits for an 1130 and
16 bits, one parity bit and one memory protect bit for the 1800.
>>
>>I remember that the Meta 4 had firmware that was implemented on
>>boards about 1 foot by 1 foot, with little copper squares of foil about
>>the 1/4" by 1/4" ...indicating 1/0 by presence/absence. One problem
>>was that the squares would sometimes lift up a bit, so we'd take out
>>the boards and press them down again.
Yes it was a type of capacitor Read Only Storage with a read cycle of 90 ns.
>>I remember we also had APL, on a removable disk cartridge.
>
>In the pages I've seen so far, the 1130 is said to have a max of 16KWord of
>memory but my professors at school were bragging about our machine having
>32K of memory (in 1972). Was there in fact an upgrade to 32K _words_ or
>were they simply getting 32K bytes and 16K words confoozed? Remember, this
>was all quite new to these older age professors then when few
>backwater-area colleges our size even had a computer.
The 1130/1800 addressed 32K words, but the DSC Meta-4 had a feature so that
you could load 64K or RAM, then context switch between two 32K banks. In
this manner they developed a multi user 1130 timesharing system. The
timesharing control system was in the upper 32K and it swapped out 1130
users. If you had a fixed head disk attached, a feature available only on
the DSC Meta-4, not the 1130, you could swap out the whole 32K in some
ridiculously short time, like 50 ms., then swap in another 32K user in 50
ms. and pick up where they left off. It really worked, we attached 8 dumb
terminals to it and had 8 simultaneous 1130's running for less than the
price of a single IBM 1130, and since it was 10 times faster than an 1130,
each user could be running at about the same speed as an 1130, if they were
compute bound ... not usually because most of the users were pounding the
keyboard editing FORTRAN code and compiling. It worked well until we
replaced it with a DEC SYSTEM-20 which was 10 to 100 times faster still ...
at about the same price.
I still have the manuals for the Meta-4, even though I was dumb enough to
get rid of all of my 1130 manuals.
As an aside, DSC developed the line of National Semiconductor IBM Mainframe
clones that are now one of the Japanese lines ... and disappeared.
-- Dean
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Dean Billing Phone: 530-752-5956
UC Davis FAX: 530-752-6363
IT-CR EMAIL: drbilling(a)ucdavis.edu
One Shields Way
Davis, CA 95616
Umm. You'd better re-read the message Todd. It for a Gorilla MONITOR manual.
Joe
At 06:56 PM 2/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I posted the message about the printer. I found one thanks to someone else's
>posting. It does not have a manual, so if you care to part with it, please
>let me know. Thanks.
>
>Todd Osborne
>Senior Software Engineer
>FMStrategies, Inc.
>http://www.fmstrategies.com/
>--------------------------------------------------------
>FMStrategies, Inc: tosborne(a)fmstrategies.com
>Internet E-Mail: todd.osborne(a)barnstormer-software.com
>--------------------------------------------------------
>Founder of the Virtual Windows Class Library (C++)
>http://www.barnstormer-software.com/vwcl/
>--------------------------------------------------------
>Anagrams? (http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/)
>Can you figure out this one? Want the answer? E-Mail me.
>COCO VERDI MOM (Hint: Think Late 1970's Computer)
>--------------------------------------------------------
>Quote:
>"The timid die just like the daring, and if you don't take the plunge then
>you'll just take the fall" - Michael Longcor
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: CLASSICCMP-owner(a)u.washington.edu
>> [mailto:CLASSICCMP-owner@u.washington.edu]On Behalf Of Sam Ismail
>> Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 1999 6:33 PM
>> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
>> Subject: Re: Gorilla manual
>>
>>
>> On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Joe wrote:
>>
>> > A couple of weeks ago someone was asking about a Gorilla Banana printer.
>> > Today I found the onwer's manual for my old Gorilla monochrome monitor.
>> > Does anyone need it?
>>
>> Speaking of such, I picked up one of said printer yesterday at a thrift
>> shop (charity shop for the UK impaired) for $10.
>>
>> Sellam Alternate e-mail:
>> dastar(a)siconic.com
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------
>> ------------
>> Always hasslin' the man.
>>
>> Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
>> See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
>> [Last web site update: 01/15/99]
>>
>>
>
>
Andrew Davie[SMTP:adavie@mad.scientist.com] writes:
>S-100 George Morrow Disk Jockey 2D/B
Hmm, 50 pins, could that possibly be a SASI card?
As in Shugart Associates pre-SCSI bus
Chuck
cswiger(a)widomaker.com
>There is an 1130 site on the web at
><http://www.mindspring.com/~hshubs/1130/> which has the functional
>characteristics manual.
Thanks, Hans, for pointing this out. None of my web searches had found
this site.
Does anyone know of any other IBM 1130's in North America? I'd go a fair
distance to see one again.
----
John Dykstra jdykstra(a)nortelnetworks.com
Principal Software Architect voice: +1 651 415-1604
Nortel Networks fax: +1 612 932-8549
Hans Franke[SMTP:Hans.Franke@mch20.sbs.de] writes:
>> Uh-oh, Hans...am I detecting hostility toward the Euro?
>
>No, just about some stuipd ideas around like
>a) the name - calling it Euro and cent is a coward like solution
>
>d) The stupid symbol.
Ah, just an image problem - nothing that a few billion units of
advertising can't fix. You'll get used to it :/ Look at what
effective marketing did for uSoft.
Chuck
cswiger(a)widomaker.com