<> The 1002 HOST interface has a different address, register command
<structure > though there are similarities wbeing both from WD.
<
<How do the above relate to the 8-bit IDE interface?
The 8bit IDE looks like the 1002WA ISA 8bit controller. The 1002HDO host
interface however does not. In the 8bit worlds there seems to be three
different schemes.
<> In any case adding a hard disk to kaypro requires utility software, an
<> interface and BIOS.
<
<But if you have the TurboROM, you already have all of that with the
<exception of the interface. How big a chore would it be to adapt the
<WD1002/Host interface to the 8-bit IDE? If one could do that with
<minimum difficulty, it could provide an easy 40mb of HD storage - a huge
<amount on a CP/M machine.
It's not easy. The host interface only allows for a few address lines and
8bit IDE is both scarce ands strange. For practical use and the difficulty
of interface doing a 16bit IDE converter is more practical. The real
problem is you no matter what will be writing a bios for the kaypro.
People with the correct controller and MFM disk are already faced with
things like the drive needs replacing and there is no formatter or partition
utility if the drive is greater than 8mb.
Check out TCJ #80, a 1002WXA or similar is easy as pie to interface to
a 8bit bus (like the host adaptor port). and they are common enough as
they were about the best thing for the XT class. It means using a MFM
drive but, st225s and st251s are common and there are old 3.5" mfms that
work good with those too. The bios problem remains though.
Oh, 40mb would have to be sliced (partitioned) into 5 8Mb logical drives
under cpm. I know as my SB180 and AmproLB both have 20 and 45mb drives.
Under CPM even 5mb is a lot of space and a 1.44mb floppy is very roomy.
The 781k format allows me to have all of my most common utilities and
programming tools on one drive and work space on another. That good
enough.
Allison
Actually, I though ":)" meant that the person typing was smiling when they
when they wrote it.
>> BTW, " :) " is an extremely rude and nasty way to insult somebody by
stating
>> that they are too stupid to know what is or isn't a joke :-)
Seems the bidders are losing interest, not to mention he's changed the
title of it where it doesn't reflect the word Osborne (so a search
doesn't show it). There's less than 8 hrs on it and the high bid is
$12....
The guy that did the high bid last time (Imsai) bought my Kaypro 2X and
I asked him if the seller made a deal with him since it came below the
"reserve" and believe it or not the dummy seller let a $400 bid slide.
It's listed on e-pay right now as
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=62164945 in case
anyone has any interest.
I am having a little trouble with my TRS Model IV . When I boot off of the
TRSDOS system disk, the system prompts for the time and won't go any
farther. When I enter the time, it clears the field and prompts again.
The computer works just fine with all my other software so, I suspect the
disk is corrupt. If anyone has an extra copy of TRSDOS 6.x laying around,
I'd really appreciate it.
TIA, Steve Robertson
<steverob(a)hotoffice.com>
>Sorry about that. Wasn't paying much attention and rather assumed
>that the advertiser had set the response address to itself. Glad I
>also neglected to attach the images. (If you want to see them,
>they're on my home page and no, I didn't create them).
The guy was a spammer... the only way to stop them is to make them
hurt by NOT giving them any business...
I know I won't... I don't do business with ANYONE who spams, even
if I were otherwise in need of their service...
Megan
At 09:28 PM 2/4/99 +0000, you wrote:
>> are quite adequate. Screens are about 72dpi, my Sony Mavica FD-71 is
>> 640x480 (or a little over 100dpi for a 4x6 photo).
>
>Digital cameras are not cheap enough to be worth buying just to stick
>pictures on the web. For the same cost I could probably get a second-hand
>'classic' camera, and have a lot of fun restoring it, and then take some
>real pictures.
Consider:
Sony Mavica: $660
Take picture, size, and upload.
Scanner (Cheap) $50
Cheap 35mm Camera $50
Film - dollar or two per roll
Developing (Cheap) $4 per roll
ScanTime (I got it down to 4 minutes per pic)
So, for 24 pics:
Sony Scan
$660 $105 Equip/Supplies
$ 0 $ 96 Scan time (at $60/hr)
$ x $ x Size/Upload (same for both)
---- ----
$660 $201
Now for multiple rolls (say 5):
Sony Scan
$660 $125 Equip/Supplies
$ 0 $480 Scan Time
---- ----
$660 $605
The more you take, the more cost effective it becomes. (Mind you, I don't
know how you value your time, but waiting for a scanner hardly seems a good
use of my time).
I know I've taken a lot more than 5 rolls worth of digpics -- Take a look
at <http://www.sinasohn.com/urbadv/phalbum.htm> for example. And I've got
a lot of classic computers to take too.
The Mavica is not the cheapest DigCamera either. If you go for one of the
less expensive models, your costs go way down.
>
>Also those digital cameras are too darn small. I don't fancy having to
>fix the thing...
>
>-tony
>
>
>
--------------------------------------------------------------------- O-
Uncle Roger "There is pleasure pure in being mad
roger(a)sinasohn.com that none but madmen know."
Roger Louis Sinasohn & Associates
San Francisco, California http://www.sinasohn.com/
Message sent by: Kuppler Graphics, 32 West Main Street, Maple Shade, New Jersey, 08052,
1-800-810-4330. This is a one time mailing. This list will NOT be sold. All addresses
are automatically added to our remove list.
Hello. My name is Bill from Kuppler Graphics. We do screenprinting on T Shirts, Sweatshirts,
Jackets, Hats, Tote Bags and more!
Do you or someone you know have a Family Reunion coming up? Kuppler Graphics would like to
provide you with some great looking T Shirts for your Reunion.
Kuppler Graphics can also provide you with custom T's and promotional items such as imprinted
magnets, keychains, pens, mugs, hats, etc. for your business or any fundraising activity
(church, school, business etc.)
We are a family owned company with over 15 years of experience.
All work is done at this location. No middle man. Our prices are great!
Please click reply to email us to receive more info or call 1-800-810-4330
Thanks for your interest
Bill
Kuppler Graphics
<Compupro made a Z80 slave card that supported between 64K and 256K or RAM
<that had a RS-232 port. If I recall correctly you could only put 8 of thes
I don't see it in my old catalogs. the closest one was MPX-1 with an 8085,
16k ram, Transient master and interrupts(8259a).
Teltek, Konan, Macrotek and SDS did make them however.
<There was another method of placing multiple CPU on your bus. That basical
<ment building a Single Board Computer (SBC) that could use the S-100
<Temporary Master Access (TMA) hand shaking. The S-100 supported up to 16 o
<these TMA on a bus. The advantages is the TMA's tended to use the bus more
<efficiently comparied to slaves boards with requried a bus master present
<servicing them. I don't know who use to make SBC that fully IEEE 696
<standard for TMA access but do know that they were out there.
Been there done that. Used 4 z80s in a symetrical loosely coupled
multiprocessing system. One requirement is local and public pool memory
that any DMA (device or transient master) can address.
Allison
An aside, if anyone is interested in a IIgs, IIe, or Atari 800, please let
me know; there's a thrift shop hereabouts with them.
FYI... Reply to:
>From: DUpah19927(a)aol.com
>I was browsing through your web site about the old computers that you
collect.
>I have a couple of old computers myself that I am looking to sell. If you
>would like to have them or know of anyone else that would like them, please
>let me know.
>
>I am attaching the pictures of the computers I have right now. The first is
>an Apple IIc+. The other is an Epson Apex, built in 1980.
>
>Let me know,
>D
>
>Attachment Converted: "C:\DOWNLOAD\ATTACH\EPSON.zip"
>
--------------------------------------------------------------------- O-
Uncle Roger "There is pleasure pure in being mad
roger(a)sinasohn.com that none but madmen know."
Roger Louis Sinasohn & Associates
San Francisco, California http://www.sinasohn.com/