payroll as well as it did 20 years ago. Printers are faster too, I guess,
<but since the essential demise of multi-part paper, it takes about as long
<to generate the 4-part documents as ever.
Huh? The company I work for has 35pc and an intranet but invoices and
6 part sales orders are still punched out using Epson 1624s and Diablo
H-IIs!
Allison
Don't forget to do the same thing for VMS source (alpha and vax):
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=62831750http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=62837222
These went for $265.00 and $232.50, respectively.
Having VMS source would be cool. But were these disks readable? Did they
even have anything on them? Who knows. All the seller knew (said) was:
Don't know much about this one ... its a four disk set ..
I dont have the books or the box it came in. It says on
each disk "OpenVMS Alpha V7.2 Operating System" then "Source Listings".
Think of the possibilities. NT Source on CDs... Windows 98 source... use
your imagination.
- Joe
I got an old IBM laser printer this weekend from a friend of mine. It's
the IBM 4019. It's not a Lexmark one, but one of the old workhorse "leave it
running 24/7 and it'll outlive all of us" IBM printers. Weighs a ton.
Does anyone have a spare manual for it that I can get? Thanks!
[ Rich Cini/WUGNET
[ ClubWin!/CW7
[ MCP Windows 95/Windows Networking
[ Collector of "classic" computers
[ http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/
[ http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/pdp11/
<================ reply separator =================>
At 03:16 PM 2/10/99 -0800, you wrote:
>> Nope... How about the Altima 1 and 2? (See
>> http://www.sinasohn.com/clascomp/alt2.htm) Not quite the standard layout,
>
>Error 404, File not found? I think the Amstrad looks better :).
Whups, 404 is the hospital room # my dad is in... it must have worn off on
me. 8^) It's http://www.sinasohn.com/clascomp/altima2.htm all spelled out.
But, I'll agree, I do like the Amstrad better.
--------------------------------------------------------------------- O-
Uncle Roger "There is pleasure pure in being mad
roger(a)sinasohn.com that none but madmen know."
Roger Louis Sinasohn & Associates
San Francisco, California http://www.sinasohn.com/
I have an original Tandy 1000, a 1000TL, a 1000SX and a 1000TX. The TL is
the only one that boots from ROM. The older ones didn't.
I agree in the fact that they're not worth much. The SX and TL were
complete systems (TL had an EGA monitor), and the SX and the original were
floppy models. I got them all for free, all working.
--
-Jason Willgruber
(roblwill(a)usaor.net)
ICQ#: 1730318
<http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Robertson <steverob(a)hotoffice.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Tuesday, February 09, 1999 12:01 PM
Subject: RE: question about a tandy 1000
>On Tuesday, February 09, 1999 3:25 PM, Michael A. Rivas Sr
>[SMTP:mrivas@caribe.net] wrote:
>> my brother got a hold of a tandy 1000. when booted up it asks for a boot
>disk which he does not have. i have two questions
>> 1) what can i do about the boot disk?
>> 2) what does a tandy 1000 go for?
>> << File: ATT00001.html >> << File: ATT00002.gif >>
>
>Michael,
>
>1.) I've had several different 1000s and each of them would boot from ROM
>if a disk wasn't available. Since the ROM included a FORMAT command, you
>could make your own bootable disk.
>
>Some of the models might have worked a little differently. Exactly which
>model do you have (1000TL / 1000HD / 1000RL ...)?
>
>2.) There were about a trillion of these things made so, the value is
>pretty low. I have seen them for as little as $10 at the flea market
>without a monitor or hard drive. The monitor could cost another $10 to $15.
>The hard drive with OS might add another $10.
>
>So, the value of the complete working system would probably be in the $30 -
>$50 range...
>
>
>Regards,
>
>Steve Robertson - <steverob(a)hotoffice.com>
>
>
>
[Amstrad PPC512]
>Strange looking computer IMHO. It's the only laptop with a full-sized
>keyboard (including cursor pad and numeric pad). The thing is wider than
>a PDP11....
Nope... How about the Altima 1 and 2? (See
http://www.sinasohn.com/clascomp/alt2.htm) Not quite the standard layout,
but still a full keyboard, iirc. I think also, some of the new machines
with the 15" screens have full keyboards.
But yes, the PPC512 (and PPC640) are definitely odd ducks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------- O-
Uncle Roger "There is pleasure pure in being mad
roger(a)sinasohn.com that none but madmen know."
Roger Louis Sinasohn & Associates
San Francisco, California http://www.sinasohn.com/
>
> No not yet. I'm going to try and get the parts and make a terminal
>cable tomorrow.
You have to be REAL careful which way the pins go on that. I had to
make two of 'em because the FAQ (where I found the pin assignments)
wasn't really clear which way you should be looking at it. (They ended up
being opposite)
>>If the root password is changed, your going to be screwed without system
>disks.
>
> I'm afraid you're right. That's the nature of Unix.
I was lucky on mine. All of them came from the factory with a preset password
which was *something* like "MPC" or something like that. Anyway, it should be
in the 3B2 FAQ.
Les
mbg(a)world.std.com (Megan) wrote:
>
> How about simply making them available from some site somewhere
> and sending everyone a pointer...
>
> Megan Gentry
> Former RT-11 Developer
Hi Megan
I have the ftp on a later mail. I would like people that
use it or download it to contact me first. I am still making
the occational enhancement and will keep a list.
The simulator was specifically setup for the SIM4-01
board but could be easily modified for most any hardware.
It is just a matter of mapping RAM and I/O's to different
variables or arrays. All the source is there so one can
dig into it as much as one wants. Most of the changes
I've been making are to add comments to some of the less
clear coding I did. As I reread it, I often realize
it isn't even clear to me and I know it needs a comment.
I'm always looking for feed back as well. The entire thing
can be easily expanded to deal with the 4040 as well.
Anyone wanting to do such, should let me know.
Dwight
by Mits Inc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Item Was A PCC
Product
(see logo on lower left corner of label)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item: 5 1/4" Altair Minidisk Basic Disk
Version 4.1; December 1977
by Pertec Computer Corporation
Micro-Systems Division
Copyright 1977
See: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=62821235