I'm sorry! After reading my own email it appears a little gruff. I certainly
didn't mean to offend you.
All I'm trying to say is that MITS did have a 5-1/4" hard sector system
available.
- Doug
> -----Original Message-----
> From: allisonp(a)world.std.com [mailto:allisonp@world.std.com]
> Sent: Friday, February 12, 1999 5:34 PM
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
> Subject: RE: E-Over Pay strikes again! original Altair disk sells for
>
>
>
> <True enough I'm sure. MITS also produced a "mini"-floppy
> controller that
> <was also a two board TTL set. The first board (computer
> interface) was th
> <same board as in the 8" set (except for different RC
> values), the second
>
> Well heres where I stand on it. Never seen one, I was there,
> and never
> seen an advert for one, I have back issues. Was it possible,
> sure. The 8"
> design with some tweeks would certainly do minifloppy.
>
> Allison
>
The docs I have are titled "Altair 88-MDS Minidisk Documentation" they are
copyright MITS, Inc. 1977 and listed as First Printing, July, 1977. The
documentation describes both the controller card set and disk drive unit.
I have a PCJr Color Display monitor, complete with the authentic block
type connector that APPEARS to be in working condition that I really
need to find a good home for. Not free, but cheap enough - $10 plus the
applicable USPS shipping (insurance at your request) My guess is the
weight is around 26 lbs.
The monitor is in great phyical shape but has NOT been tested on a Jr
for picture. It does power and does give raster on the screen so I can
say that it is apparently in working condition. The $10 I want for it
basically covers what I have in it besides the time in locating a
shipping carton and hauling it to the post office, along with the minor
differences (if any) in calculated postage.
This is for USA addresses only. I know people ship things outside the US
all the time, but I don't have the time or the patience for the added
paperwork and other thing involved in out of US shipments.
Contact me by direct message please, not by replying to the list. The
monitor would come from zip 40144 in cae anyone needs to sneak a look at
approximate postage themselves. I hate to see a possible addtion to a Jr
collection go to the dumpster because someone was too cheap to spend a
few bucks on it.
Doug wrote:
<< It is possible that Berkeley got the idea from working on the Univac (in
the late 40's, when it was being designed by EMCC). I suspect that the
earlier relay machines also used lights to help debug faulty relays, but
I'm really looking for when lights were first used for output and switches
used for input, similar to the way a bunch of the mini front panels
worked. (It may be that Simon was the first -- I dunno.)
>>
Just a few weeks ago I looked at the Harvard Mark I, and I know
very well the Zuse machines. No lights!
John
Someone gave me a ZEOS 386 laptop, Model S99102-000, circa 1990.
It was in need of some minor repairs which were no problem.
There is a small empty compartment of the left side, measuring
1/2" by 1 1/2" and about 4" deep and with a 20 pin edge connector
at the back. Zeos support tells me that the only option for that
was a 2400 baud modem and it is no longer available, which I sort
of figured.
I got to thinking that if that card connector were a serial port,
it would not take much to fabricate a board to bring the right
signals lines out to a 9 pin D connector to add a second serial port.
My question is whether the 20 pin connector is a subset of the I/O
bus or is it a serial port? If it is a serial port, then what is
the pinout on the 20 pin connector, which signals are which pins?
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike Thompson
I've been looking in my old Tek catalogues and the disk drives for the 4050
series are model number 4907, not 4097. This is from my 84 catalogue. Option
31 is three disk drives, option 30 is two disk drives and option 40 is 4052
and 4054 compatibility.
Paxton
You have an Intel 4004? Where did you obtain this?
-----Original Message-----
From: Ethan Dicks <erd(a)infinet.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Tuesday, February 09, 1999 11:42 PM
Subject: Re: Intel 4004
>>
>> > From: Dwight Elvey <elvey(a)hal.com>
>> > To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
>> <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
>> > Subject: Intel 4004
>> > Date: Tuesday, February 09, 1999 11:43 AM
>> >
>> > Hi All
>> > I have gotten my 4004 development unit up and running.
>> > In doing so, I made some tools. I have a simple
>> > assembler, disassembler and a simulator. If anyone
>> > would like copies of these tools, let me know.
>> > Dwight
>
>I would *love* some 4004 tools. I have a 4004 that I plan to build
>into a project someday. It came out of a non-UPC grocery store barcode
>scanner I bought at the Dayton Hamfest in 1983.
>
>Thanks,
>
>-ethan
>When you're talking about "digital" signals above 500 MHz (as would be
>found on gigabit ethernet twisted pairs), it is very hard to convincingly
>describe them as digital. Sure, they are enocded from digital bits, and
>the are decoded back into digital bits at the other end, but what happens
>inbetween is analog (and basically black magic at that).
While we're not on the topic, please tell me... is light "really" a
particle, or "really" a wave? How about electrons?
- Joe
P.S. No, I am *NOT* serious, I do *NOT* want to read such a discussion.
My Sun 1/100U lives once again... reseated the boards and realized someone
had removed the ram board. I just happen to have ram boards that came from
a sun 2 server, and poof! It lives!
The monitor is in pretty good shape, the image is shifted a bit, but it
looks like its mostly if not all visible.
The main problems are: I have no idea how to enter the local prom mode,
or even if there is a local prom mode.. Whups! Looks liek one way is to
let the computer time out on its boot attempt. I still cant get any
help on available prom commands. 'printenv' printed a small hex-dump like
thing, then immediately the screen cleared and rebooted...
Anyways, main problem is going to be locating the OS for this computer.
Does anyone have SUN OS for a Sun 2 class computer? I forget what its
called, suntools or sunview or something like that..
-Lawrence LeMay
I just got back from the opening day of the Orlando hamfest. So far I
picked up an Apple IIc plus, three more Compaq Portables IIIs, three HP
97s, a HP 92, two old HP catalogs and two old Tektronix catalog and this is
only this first day!
I also found some HP cables. They have a DB-25 female connector and a 36
pin Aphenol connector on the other. They have part number 13242D on them.
Anyone know what they're for?
Joe