Does anyone have an idea what these IBM model numbers
are like more precisely ??
3380- AD/AE DL131 BE4
3380- AD/AE LK
3380- AD/AE LM135 AE4
3380 "E" DL
3380 "K" BP BK4
3380 "K" BP AK4
3380 "K" LM131 BK4
3380 "D" AD/AE KJ131
3380 "D" AD/AE JJ131
3390 "2" B2C
3390 "2" A28
I am particularly concerned about disks inside these machines;
is there anything known ? Is any documentation available ?
Thanks and regards
John G. Zabolitzky
Hi Megan,
----------
> From: Megan <mbg(a)world.std.com>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: KA630 CNF?
> Date: Sunday, February 28, 1999 7:55 AM
>
>
> Does anyone have any information on the KA630 CNF board? It is used
> both with KA630s and KA650s to configure them for coprocessor mode.
All I have, is the KA630-AA CPU Module User's Guide.
> Since I have never actually seen the board (which plugs into the
> KA630/650 directory), I'd specifically like to know what pins I
> need to connect to establish the processor as the first, second and
> third coprocessor...
If i read that right, there are 10 switches on this board. Switch 7 & 8 are
defined as:
7 8
off off Arbiter
on off auxiliary 1
off on auxiliary 2
on on auxiliary 3
Switch 7 is connected to pin 4 of the J2 connector (20 pin connector)
Switch 8 is connected to pin 5 of the J2 connector.
Don't have any of this boards, simply out of the manual.
Hope it helps,
emanuel
Okay, I'm sure this is going to cost me, but... :-)
I've made a first-attempt at a list. You can find a link to it,
called "Machines to watch for", from my classiccmp web page, at
this URL:
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~yakowenk/classiccmp/
I'm open to suggestions on additions and deletions. My current rule
of thumb (which is also open to suggestions) is that it belongs on
that web page if there is sure to be someone who wants it enough to
pay shipping charges for it, or otherwise arrange to take posession
of it.
While you're there, kindly glance at the Rescue Squad volunteer
list, and let me know if your entry needs an update.
BTW, how does everyone feel about advertising that? I've considered
posting the URL to various related newsgroups, but am torn between the
possibilities of increased donations and getting the attention of the
wrong people. I'd rather not feed the e-bay "collectables" frenzy.
Should I be shooting for "high profile", or just letting interested
parties seek us out?
Cheers,
Bill.
On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Mike Ford <mikeford(a)netwiz.net> wrote:
] Novice guide to old stuff.
]
] I disturbs me to think I have ever walked past something neat, and left it
] to rot or be loaded into a scrap bin. Outside of a fairly narrow scope of
] Apple products I don't know what I should be looking for. I would like to
] see some sort of guide to old stuff, maybe a half or quarter of a doubled
] sided laser printed sheet of paper, that ran down some of the items that
] are hard to find, which I could fold up and put in my wallet. Is there a
] short list, generic or specific?
<I have a couple of motherboards sying about which use the SIPP's, though,
<and though it's quite easy to imagine SIPP's being as easy as ever to
<build, I've never seen a 4MB SIPP.
Reason for that is when SIPPs were in use 256k and near the end of life for
that config the 1meg parts started to be common. Sipps were out os use by
time 4mb parts were getting cheap enough to consider.
Often forgotten... at one time 4 or 8mb was a BIG system!
Allison
<BTW: I also saw a Rainbow 100. Anything distinguishing it from any other
<CPM/MS-DOS machine?
It was a dual processor with z80 and 8088, the bus as not PC (ISA) and it
allowed 768 or 825Kw of ram. It was color medium resolution when the PC
was still mono. It's noteable in that it ran CP/M-80, CP/M-86 and MSdos.
When Running CP/M86 or MSdos the z80 is still operational and services IO
for the 8088 giveing it better performance for it's day.
Allison
Fine,
I got a complete PCjr with pretty much all of the peripherals ever made for
it, two joysticks, color monitor, a box of software and the carrying case.
So there!
Francois
>Got a second Altair today. No serial number and missing a capcitor in the
>power supply but otherwise it looks like it's in perfect condition.
>
> Joe
>
Here is someone wanting to sell a pretty complete Tandy 1000HX system. Is
it this one or the 1000EX that has MS-DOS 2.11 in ROM? At any rate its a
pretty nice little Tandy all-in-one computer.
Please reply to the original sender.
Reply-to: bluegill(a)interworldnet.net
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 23:24:05 -0700
From: C Barnes <bluegill(a)interworldnet.net>
Subject: Tandy 1000HX system
I have the following working system available if you are interested:
Tandy 1000HX personal computer (1988) - no hard drive, 640k RAM, two 3.5 in.
disk drives,
external 5.25 in. disk drive, mouse, and joystick
Tandy RGB color monitor CM-5
Tandy DMP 132 dot matrix printer
associated software, manuals, diskettes
PCM magazine for Tandy users - November 1990 - December 1992
Compute magazine - September 1991 - October 1992
Several other magazines dating back to 1994 (PC Magazine, PC Computing, Home
PC, etc)
If you are interested in any of this, let me know how I should get it to
you.
Thanks,
Cindy Barnes
Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar(a)verio.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Puttin' the smack down on the man!
Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0!
See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details
[Last web site update: 02/15/99]
More uVaxen bits...
So I finally got all my wires correct in the serial connector and now get
the following dialog:
KA630-A.V1.3
Performing normal system tests.
7..6..5..4..3..
Tests completed.
>>>
Pretty cool. However on the NetBSD/VAX faq they suggest typing 'test 50' to
get the ethernet address, if I type that it just says "Failure" does the
port need to be connected to a network?
So it turns out the _both_ systems had the Sigma Information System ESDI
controller in them (not too suprising because they came from the same
source) which everyone says "Ohhh, that's a nice controller." which warms
my heart, but I _need_ docs. Another reader said that you can plug into the
10 pin port on the board and do some cool stuff like low level format etc
etc. But I've not tried that until I get an ESDI disk.
I've done lots of searches on the net for ESDI, Q-Bus, Sigma information
systems, etc but no luck! I presume they've gone Tango Uniform.
But that brings up another issue, I need a mounting "sled" for the disk.
Preferably two sleds, (one for each disk). Anyone have any spares?
Presumably I can kludge something in a pinch (or use the bottom bay which
has a "floor" anyway.
I did get donated a complete set of VMS documentation (5.4) but I don't
have _any_ hardware documentation, again if you have said docs perhaps we
can work out some sort of trade.
Given the "mini-PDP-8 surge/hunt" that appears to be going on I expect this
thing to be in hot demand in 10 years :-)
What was the "standard" console terminal used with these in 1985? VT100?
VT220? something else?
On the tape drive in the BA123, it has a plain black front with a button
and two LEDs, one orange and one green. TK50? Where could I get media for
it? What does it look like?
Thanks for all the help everyone, this is what makes this hobby fun.
--Chuck
In a message dated 99-02-27 23:18:07 EST, you write:
> >I'm open to suggestions on additions and deletions. My current rule
>
> I think at least some Mac's are something to keep an eye out for. I
> haven't seen a Mac 128 since they were new! I've only seen one Mac
> Portable ever. Any Mac that is in something other than a Mac case is also
> a definite grab! There were kits to do it, but I've never seen one (or if
> I have, didn't realize it).
standard compact macs are rather unremarkable although i guess the 128 might
be worth keeping since it was simply the first model. I think modified macs
are far more interesting. for instance, i have a 128 in original box with all
the ship group items. the mac was modified with a third party board to
basically make it into a mac plus complete with scsi. even got an external
floppy and flight sim with it! also have two mac512k models with a hyperdrive;
a st225 hard drive and cooling fan installed INSIDE the mac. <!> very heavy
but actually works.
david