Does anyone have any information on the KA630 CNF board? It is used
both with KA630s and KA650s to configure them for coprocessor mode.
Since I have never actually seen the board (which plugs into the
KA630/650 directory), I'd specifically like to know what pins I
need to connect to establish the processor as the first, second and
third coprocessor...
Megan Gentry
Former RT-11 Developer
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '@' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
Does anyone here have any 30-pin SIMMs as often found in i386 computers
that are more than 1 megabyte? I have 1-mb SIMMs but I've never seen
bigger ones
--Max Eskin (max82(a)surfree.com)
I got the NEC to seek the floppy. Sort of....
Does the APC III Use a special version of DOS? If so, what version? I
tried 5.0, and it won't work.
ThAnX,
--
-Jason Willgruber
(roblwill(a)usaor.net)
ICQ#: 1730318
<http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
At 01:45 PM 2/27/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>If it looks like a PC-clone (vertical metal strips for the expansion
>>slots at the back), then it's either a boring PC-clone or one of the
>>_very_ interesting Whitechapel machines :-)...
>
>It could also be one of the nice big-box Amiga's, though I think only the
>A2000's match that specific description. Not sure about the layout of a
>A4000.
>
Of course, since _all_ Amigas have either a "Commodore Amiga" or "Amiga"
nameplate on the front, that shouldn't cause too much confusion :v)
(except of course for one that my friend owned that had a VAXstation label
... ).
Cheers.
Mark
There are 7 (seven) shares left in the Teledisk group buy. We now have 43
total interested.
Approximate share price is now down to $7.05/person.
More updates as we get closer to closing the second run.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio:(WD6EOS) E-mail: kyrrin(a)bluefeathertech.com
SysOp: The Dragon's Cave (Fido 1:343/272, 253-639-9905)
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."
Max Eskin wrote:
>Nooo...imagine a 3.5" floppy disk chopped in half and you'd be getting the
>idea.
I may have one of these somewhere. If it's the one I'm thinking of, they
were used on some of the old Amstrad CPC and PCW's. Are they black in
colour?
--
Gareth Knight
Amiga Interactive Guide | ICQ No. 24185856
http://welcome.to/aig | "Shine on your star"
As of 10:18, Sunday, Feb. 28th, another one's joined the group.
We now have 11 shares left. Total cost per share, given the current group,
is now $7.77 (oooh, a lucky number!) ;-)
It only goes down from here, folks. If you want in, speak up.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio:(WD6EOS) E-mail: kyrrin(a)bluefeathertech.com
SysOp: The Dragon's Cave (Fido 1:343/272, 253-639-9905)
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."
The Teledisk Pro group buy is growing larger by the minute. Here's an update.
Based on continued strong interest, I have decided to extend the buy to
TWO copies of Teledisk Pro. I will continue (barring any objections) as the
focal point for both copies.
NEW DEADLINE: If you want in on the group buy, please send me a private
E-mail note indicating as much. The deadline to send in your request is by
Wednesday, March 3rd, at midnight (Pacific time). That should allow enough
time for this bulletin to circulate on the list.
UPDATED COSTS: As of Sunday, 28-Feb-99, 10:05 PST, we have 38 people
interested. This brings the cost down to about $7.98 per person. This
assumes a total cost of $300 for two packages plus $3 shipping (303 / 38).
THIS FIGURE MAY GO DOWN if more people jump onto the bandwagon.
I will post updates as they occur. As of 10:08 PST, Sunday, Feb. 28th, we
have 12 (Twelve) license shares still available.
Thanks again to all for your interest. This is certainly a cheap way to
get a nice utility.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio:(WD6EOS) E-mail: kyrrin(a)bluefeathertech.com
SysOp: The Dragon's Cave (Fido 1:343/272, 253-639-9905)
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."
I decided to run over to the surplus store this morning for a closer look at
the nicolet. It's in the front window so even though they're closed I could
get a good look at it. I also saw some other gear I never really noticed
before and would like to ask the list members for info.
1) Nicolet
There are two units. The first is a model NIC-80 Data Processor. It looks
identical to the unit on sellam's website. There's three rows of lights
labelled AC (18 lights +1 L light), IR, and PC. Below that is a set of
switches for the SR (switch register?). Top left is a "sweeps complete"
display. There's two yellow buttons in the upper right labelled "data
processor". Top center is a row of buttons labelled 'memory allocation',
with labels off to the left and right of "start" and "size" respectively.
There is a rotary knob labelled "vertical display scale", and several
buttons below that labelled 'ADC resolution'. Below that is two knobs
labelled Constant A and Constant B. Across the bottom are buttons for step,
deposit, examine, load PC, single ins, continue, and start. Finally on the
bottom right there are two buttons called Execute and Stop. Bottom right is
AC power keyswitch.
The second unit is a Nicolet model NIC-298 "diskette storage unit". It has
two 8" floppy drives. There's a row of lights vertically on the side called
read, write, and ltrack. There's an unlabelled pushbutton on the upper
right, and the lower right is a power switch.
Questions: The cpu definitely says model NIC-80. How does this relate to the
model sellam has? More to the point, can someone tell me about operation of
this unit with regards to what OS it ran, what compilers or languages, etc.
Did one hook up a terminal to this or was it just console input? What made
this unit different from more well known computers (ie. what was it's
specialty)? Most importantly, is any real documentation around on this unit
(operators guide, schematics, logic diagrams, programming info)?
2) Paper tape reader
There was what appeared to be a paper tape reader. Had the leftbay/rightbay
arrangement like a PDP PC04/05 with the read cells in the center. The brand
name appears to be Decitek. There were two switches in the center, one was a
toggle for power, the other I couldn't make out. I could easily be mistaken,
but the bays looked much wider than a PC04/05, making me wonder if it took
wider paper tape than I'm used to seeing.
Questions: Anyone have any ideas what type of system this was compatible
with, what type of interface it might use, and does anyone have docs for it?
3) Data General Mag Tape Unit
There is a DG 1/2" mag tape unit there too. The unit is about 13" tall by
19" wide, with a clear blue plastic cover. The takeup reel is on the left,
and it looks like it supports a very slightly smaller than normal 1/2" tape
reel (but larger than the little 8" jobs). The other hub is on the right for
your tape. There is a row of controls down the center sticking through the
blue cover. The top is a rocker switch for power, next is a group of two
lights marked 'ready' and 'write protect'. Lower is another group of two
lights marked 'bot' and 'eot'. Next is a rocker switch marked 'unload' on
the left and 'bot' on the right. At the very bottom is an offline/online
rocker switch, and a light on the online side.
Questions: There's no model on this unit I could see from the front. Anyone
hazard a guess as to the model number? What type of DG was this usually used
on, what interface does it use (pertec, scsi, proprietary, etc.), could it
be used on other systems (till I get a DG :) ), and are there any docs
available?
Finally - I'm still trying to decide if I want to get all of this or some of
it (depends on the prices, when I looked today none of this stuff was marked
so I'll have to ask the owner). If there's any of it I decide I don't want
that others here are interested in - let me know!
Jay West
Hi,
(This isn't really on-topic. If anyone knows of a place or mailing list which
covers obsolete but not classic computers, please let me know.)
Today I picked up a DECstation 316. Since I'm in the UK, this European model
may or may not be the same as the DECstation 316 machine which was sold in the
US.
This is a 386SX-based PC, presumably running at 16MHz. Useful to me because it
has 4 ISA slots. The machine came with 5MB RAM and an IBM 171MB disk drive,
probably added as an upgrade after purchase.
This PC seems to be a rebadged Olivetti; motherboard, PSU and BIOS code say
Olivetti. A label on the rear of the unit says Model:PC 651-A3
CMOS battery is almost dead, but the machine seems to work okay. Though when I
first tried it the Base unit system test (part of the power-on tests) reported
an error. Now it doesn't.
There is no reset button on this machine, and it came with a somewhat
nonstandard DEC LK250 keyboard.
Things I would like to find out:
- Does anyone have setup disks for this machine? I downloaded a DECstation 316
setup disk from the Digital web site, but the SPEED316.COM program on that
reports "SPEED316 ONLY WORKS ON A DECstation 316." (Which is why I suspect
the American machine of the same name is different.)
- There is no predefined setting in the BIOS setup menu for the 171MB IBM hard
disk (which is IBM-H3171-A2 P/N: 84G3902). There doesn't seem to be a way to
set user-defined drive type. What can I do about this?
- Does anyone have docs for this machine? There is one jumper and a 26-way IDC
connector on the motherboard. What are these for? How is the drive cage
supposed to be removed? I can't see any way to do this.
-- Mark