I would like to extend a warm 'thanks!' to all of you who participated in
the Teledisk Pro group buy.
We've sold all our available shares. Sydex said that we definitely had to
limit it to 50 people, tops, and that we've now got.
I would also like to thank our list moderator (cripes, I don't even know
who it is nowadays...) for allowing me to coordinate this effort on
CLASSICCMP.
Now the real work starts... getting the paperwork done! ;-)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio:(WD6EOS) E-mail: kyrrin(a)bluefeathertech.com
SysOp: The Dragon's Cave (Fido 1:343/272, 253-639-9905)
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."
Well, that depends.
PanValet (by Pansophic systems, originally) had version _tracking_ by line
number, and you could have multiple libraries, and migrate things between
them. There were similar competitive systems. Wisconsin DOT had PanValet
when I arrived there in 1975.
Amdahl UTS was Unix, complete with version control I imagine. Seems to me
this was around about 1980.
Hope that helps.
Jay
At 08:13 AM 2/26/99 -0600, you wrote:
>
>Does anyone recall when version control tools became available on IBM
>mainframe OSs?
>
>
>--
>David Wollmann
>DST / DST Data Conversion
>http://www.ibmhelp.com/
>
>ICQ: 10742063
>
---
Jay R. Jaeger The Computer Collection
Jay.Jaeger(a)msn.fullfeed.com visit http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/~cube
At 02:21 PM 3/1/99 -0800, Sellam Ismail wrote:
>Its the rape and
>pillage of this once serene hobby of collecting retired computers and
>bringing some life back into them for fun that I don't care for.
>
>I never got into this for the money.
No, you got into it for the groupies and the fame. ;-)
Or maybe you got into it because you saw highly under-appreciated
old computers selling for next to nothing, which is another way of
saying that you're wise and anticipated a market that hadn't
reached its full potential.
- John
The model number for the Monitor is 4863 (with my luck it's probably the
most common one). No light pen or HD (that's where the "pretty much" comes
in). I have't inventoried the software box yet but I've noticed the BASIC,
DOS 2.10, IBM Writting assistant and Print shop. I'm not sure when I'll get
around to setting it up.
Francois
>Hi,
>
>What is the model number on the monitor? There are two different
>monitors that I know of. Do you have an extra light pen? Does it have a
>hard drive? Do you want more info on IBM PCJr's? What cartridges do you
>have? Which version of DOS are you using? I suggest 3.3 . Please
>respond. I collect PCJr's and do have some extra parts and am in need of
>a light pen.
>
>John Amirault
>
>Francois wrote:
>>
>> Hey,
>> Not all of us can find Altairs. So I had to brag about whatever it is
that I
>> got. (I would prefer to brag about an Altair though)
>> How many of have the IBM PCjr Carrying Case?
>> Francois
>>
>> >Francois,
>> >
>> > Whatever floats your boat!
>> >
>> > Joe
>> >
>> >At 09:25 AM 2/27/99 -0600, you wrote:
>> >>Fine,
>> >>I got a complete PCjr with pretty much all of the peripherals ever made
>> for
>> >>it, two joysticks, color monitor, a box of software and the carrying
case.
>> >>So there!
>> >>Francois
>> >>
>> >>
>
On Mar 1, 12:38, Chuck McManis wrote:
> Subject: Tape drive identified!
> Thanks to everyone and some additional snooping the tape drive is indeed
an
> Exabyte 8200 8MM SCSI tape drive. It is connected to a SCSI board
labelled
> "TD Systems Inc"
> "VIK/QTO #2719"
> and a rom labelled:
> "Viking Q/B A3.1"
> (presumably QBus)
I'm pretty sure BSD2.11 supports it. I can't find the list right now, but
I think that's exactly what I had in my 11/83.
--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Dept. of Computer Science
University of York
I realize this isn't ebay related, but could someone clue me into what the
7546 controls? The DEC site lists it as a:
M7546-00 Q-BUS TAPE CNTRL, DBL 8.5
And its in my uVAX with no removable media.
--Chuck
Whilst aware that I'm breaching netiquette by copying personal email, I
think in this situation that Chris won't mind, as he's trying to sell these
items. I can't afford the prices he's asking (I'm not saying they're BAD
prices, nor am I saying they're GOOD. I just can't afford 'em), and felt
that rather than waste the time of both of us by attempting to significantly
haggle-down, I'd let everyone have-at him.
Top part is his response to my letter in response to his newsgroup ad.
---
A guy said 10 days ago he would send $200 (plus shipping)
for the Unix docs, which I accepted, but I haven't seen the
check yet so maybe it will be available again.
The vic20 had a price.
I would like $250 for a stack of pdp11 hardware fisch.
$70 for a folding fisch reader.
How about $100 for H-11 doc 3-ring binders, and
$140 for the paper tape media software. This is unused,
partly sealed.
$80 each for a couple rk05 packs containing rsx11m, rt11, ?
What do you think?
Rebate if you convert my 9-track unix tar tapes to CD or TR-3
tape (windoz). Also, you can then keep the 9-tracks, contents
are probably interesting to you.
310-393-5525
----------
From: Andrew Davie <adavie(a)mad.scientist.com>
To: c-bristol(a)usa.net
Subject: Re: ANTIQUE TV's & RADIO, etc. in L.A.,CA
Date: Saturday, February 27, 1999 8:11 PM
Hi
I'm a classic computer collector, very interested in your Heathkit items,
and also the RT-11 docs. I have just aquired a PDP 11/23 PLUS, and would
love any documentation for that, too. You don't list prices for these
items - if it helps, I offer a good home :)
Please let me know if these items are still available, and I'll try and make
a swift and easy transaction - if the price is right!
Cheers
A
*** OLD COMPUTER EQUIP. NOT IBM STYLE, UNIX PDP-11, VIC20********
DOCUMENTATION: SOFTWARE: UNIX: full sets of docs for v.6, v.7,
4.1BSD, 4.2BSD, 4.3BSD, SUN OS2, SUN OS3, SunView. About 3 big
file boxes of UNIX docs. Also have distribution tape of v.7
for PDP-11 licensed to me from SCO (Santa Cruz Operation) and the
PDP11 hardware it is licensed for. I paid $1350 to SCO for this
licence and tape, forsale now Cheap! Original v6 Lyons course,
1978?. Bell SysV Driver writing course, 1985.
DOCUMENTATION: SOFTWARE: DEC OSs: Full set, RT-11 v2, v3, v4,
partial RSX-11. Also have the software on floppy and RK05, and
the PDP-11's that are licensed to run it. Also Heathkit
H-11 paper tape operating system, media and docs, new.
Also a couple of RSTS/E manuals. Disks also (RX01, RL01,RK05).
RT-11 set, XXDP Diagnostics, on 8" RX01 floppies and paper tape.
DOCUMENTATION: SOFTWARE: DEC OSs: Full set, RT-11 v2, v3, v4,
partial RSX-11. Also have the software on floppy and RK05, and
the PDP-11's that are licensed to run it. Cheap! Also Heathkit
H-11 paper tape operating system, media and docs, new.
DOCUMENTATION: HARDWARE: many DEC PDP-11 docs from
1970-1985 on microfiche. (Have reader too.)
VIC-20 Commodore computer with tape deck, books, games, working, $40
---
--
Andrew Davie adavie(a)mad.scientist.com
Museum of Soviet Calculators
http://www.comcen.com.au/~adavie/slide/calculator/soviet.html
Yahoo! Netscape, New Scientist, The Wall Street Journal, Newsweek and UK
Independant
Cool Site!
>Err... The crosspoint switch is the C004. The C012 is related to the
>C011, and is a transputer link adapter to a normal computer bus. It's a
>bit like a UART for transputer links (and the normal computer side looks
>awfully similar to a DEC DL11 ;-)).
Oops, boy is my face red :-) I meant it used the one specific to the
T9000 which I don't remember off the top of my head. I guess I will have
to look it up to get further info (is may be the C104 or such).
Ram
This is the last call for folks interested in pooling resources to get a
copy of Teledisk Pro. So far, counting myself, we've got nine people in on
it. This dropped the per-person price down to around $17.00 each (shipping
included).
Sydex was willing to go along with the group buy on two conditions: First,
that there be one central point of contact (a person) that they can encode
the copy to; And second, that this same person be POC for all tech support
questions. I have volunteered to be this POC.
Given that the license would be for up to 25 users, we have sixteen slots
left. In the event we actually do get 25 people interested, it will drop
the per-person price down to around $6.00.
For those that may not know, Teledisk is a marvelously handy utility that
will read any floppy format that can be read using PC-based hardware,
including PCs equipped with such hardware as the well-known 'CompatiCard,'
and turn the data on said floppy into a single image file that can be
archived or sent to anyone else.
Once sent, anyone with similar hardware can reconstruct an exact image of
the original floppy using a freely redistributable extractor program.
As one might imagine, this has a lot of possibilities for preserving old
boot and application floppies for such things as KayPro's, Commodores,
Apples, DEC hardware, and God only knows how many other pieces of gear that
used floppies. The image files can be easily stored on long-lived media,
such as CD-R discs, and recreated at will.
Again, the only limitation is that a PC's floppy drive be able to, at the
hardware level, read the original diskette.
The current version runs under DOS, or under a DOS window in W95 or NT
Workstation. One caveat: Since it is possible that the program makes direct
hardware calls to the floppy drive, it may not perform as it should under
NT, thanks to NT's security features. Other than that, I know of no problems.
Will anyone else who may be interested in getting in on the group buy
please drop me a PRIVATE E-mail, so we don't end up cluttering the list?
Thanks in advance.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio:(WD6EOS) E-mail: kyrrin(a)bluefeathertech.com
SysOp: The Dragon's Cave (Fido 1:343/272, 253-639-9905)
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."