I used Lyle's updated version to show Spacewar on my PDP-8/a during this
weekends retro event "RetroGathering" in Sweden. It works great!
I did two modifications to the code:
1. Use digital IO instead of the switch register so I could use hand
controls to let the audience play the game.
2. Fixed a bug so that timer interrupts is turned on if the DK8-EP
programmable real time clock is used.
I just updated D.E. Wrege's Spacewar as follows:
1. Correctly supports slow monitors attached to a VC8/E interface by
correcting mistakes made in the VC8/E driver code. The code now follows
DEC's recommended method of waiting on the VC8/E.
2. Starts up with spaceships (as opposed to UFO's) per the original
Spacewar! by Steve Russell.
3. Now supports the DK8-EC Crystal Clock
Items 1 & 2 were released by me previously - but support for the
DK8-EC is brand new.
The new source and listing can be picked up via anonymous FTP to
and the pdp8_spcwar directory.