<Can someone tell me the CP/M command to copy a single file or program
<on my Kaypro from drive B: to drive A:
<I do not want to copy the whole disk just a single file or two..
<Thanks, Phil...
Your gonna hate this...
> PIP B:=A:file.foo
Allison
Yes it was in Popular Electronics that the Cosmac Elf was described.
I would give my vote to the ZX81, THe price is right $99 and I know that it
came as a kit (i built mine in 1982) actually it was my first computer.
-----Original Message-----
From: Miles O'Neal <meo(a)netads.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Saturday, January 09, 1999 1:33 AM
Subject: Re: Computer collector on Jeopardy!
>Doug Yowza said...
>|
>|I still say it was the ZX81. What do I win, Alex?
>
>I never saw that in a kit form...
>
In a message dated 1/9/99 8:47:47 AM EST, gene(a)ehrich.com writes:
<< It works real well.
My Aptiva 133 failed auto rollover to 2000 test but passed the rest.
It's worth getting a copy.
Don't know if the list carries it but I have attached a copy to this message.
It's a self extracting ZIP file that must be run from DOS. >>
uh, file attachments are a no-no...
www.pc.ibm.com/year2000
is another place to go to download a test program and also a driver that will
autochange the century byte for lazy computer users that wont issue the date
command.
david
Doug's "Ten Reasons Why I Collect Computers" inspired me to start compiling
the Pearls of Wisdom of our list members.
I'll be culling these from our daily e-mail, but if anyone wants to
contribute directly, e-mail me privately. Once I have a page or two, I'll
post it to my Web site for all to read (and laugh at, hopefully).
[ Rich Cini/WUGNET
[ ClubWin!/CW7
[ MCP Windows 95/Windows Networking
[ Collector of "classic" computers
[ http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/
[ http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/pdp11/
<================ reply separator =================>
At 12:48 PM 1/8/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Jim Strickland wrote:
>
>> > > Shure, today they are no longer produced with typewriters and
>> > > Spiritusumdrucker (sorry missing word - a copyingdevice using
>> > > special sheets and spirit for duplication), but rather on PCs
>> > > or high class DTP stations, but thats just the tool.
>> >
>> > Spiritusumdrucker! What a fantastic word! I think that would be a
>> > mimeograph?
>>
>> I always heard them called ditto machines. Print in blue ink that wipes
off.
>
>Sure but I think the actual latin name for them is mimeograph.
>
>> We had them in grade school. We did NOT have a photocopier - they were
>
>Me too. I used to have ditto duty making copies for the teacher. I also
>used to make up mazes and got to use the machine to make copies for the
>classmates.
>
>> apparently monstrously expensive to purchase and maintain at the time.
>> By the time I got to high school inexpesive photocopiers were readily
>> available, although we used the ditto machines even then. The
>> photocopier was fine for short runs or things where copy quality was
>> important. The ditto machine was faster and much cheaper per copy.
>> Of course I'm sure the ink on the master and the solvent on the
>> machine are carcinogens... (just kidding)
>
>By the time I was in high school dittos were a distant memory. To put it
>in (classiccmp) perspective, by that time inkjets were still on the
>horizon and dot matrix printers were still the shit.
>
>Sellam Alternate e-mail:
dastar(a)siconic.com
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
>Always being hassled by the man.
>
> Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
> See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
> [Last web site update: 12/27/98]
>
>
The Mimeograph (an Edison invention) used ink, as did the Gestetner (sp?)
while the Ditto used alcohol.
I still have a 1909 Mimeograph in my collection.
Charles E. Fox
Chas E. Fox Video Productions
793 Argyle Rd. Windsor N8Y 3J8 Ont. Canada
email foxvideo(a)wincom.net Homepage http://www.wincom.net/foxvideo
At 10:10 AM 1/8/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Hans Franke wrote:
>
>> Shure, today they are no longer produced with typewriters and
>> Spiritusumdrucker (sorry missing word - a copyingdevice using
>> special sheets and spirit for duplication), but rather on PCs
>> or high class DTP stations, but thats just the tool.
>
>Spiritusumdrucker! What a fantastic word! I think that would be a
>mimeograph?
>
>Sellam Alternate e-mail:
dastar(a)siconic.com
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
>Always being hassled by the man.
>
> Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
> See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
> [Last web site update: 12/27/98]
>
>
That was a DITTO machine, at one time handled by Bell & Howell. They had
to pull them out of the schools around here because the alcohol fumes made
everyone squiffy.
Cheers
Charlie Fox
Charles E. Fox
Chas E. Fox Video Productions
793 Argyle Rd. Windsor N8Y 3J8 Ont. Canada
email foxvideo(a)wincom.net Homepage http://www.wincom.net/foxvideo
I keep reading little pieces of information about this chip. (Actually, it
could be a multi-chip set... I don't know.) Apparently, it's _public-domain
hardware_. What a concept! :) Has anyone actually seen a system based on
this thing?
What? Where did I read about it, you ask? I think it might have been in
_Life with UNIX_, but I really don't remember. And it's too late to do a
Web search. I should really be in bed.
I'm surprised the FSF hasn't bought PD-32 systems en masse. It would be the
perfect platform to run the HURD on.
-- Derek
-----Original Message-----
From: Uncle Roger <sinasohn(a)ricochet.net>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Saturday, 9 January 1999 9:36
Subject: Re: Y2K stuff
>At 05:33 PM 1/4/99 -0700, you wrote:
>snip<
>An unrelated but similar (and ironically timed) issue is that of the new US
>20 dollar bills. I have seen a lot of vending machines/gas pumps/etc. that
>indicate they cannot handle the new bills.
Are they polymer rather than paper like all ours are now?
>The problem is, bills typically last 18 months at most.
The plastic stuff lasts somewhat longer, one reason why they now use it
here.
To save money, the govt withdrew all coins below 5c, we now have $1 & $2
coins,
and notes for $5, $10, $20, $50 & $100, all plastic with fancy printing and
a transparent
window. Near impossible to counterfeit. (Which is the other reason it was
done)
Cheers
Geoff Roberts
Computer Room Internet Cafe
Port Pirie
South Australia.
netcafe(a)pirie.mtx.net.au
Either in 1978 or around 1980 or 81, I recall reading
an article on AI-based image recognition with a micro
like the Altair or IMSAI. All in machine code, of course,
toggled in.
The guy called it Legion, because it was based on a
bunch of cells all making decisions. I think it may
have been a 5x5 grid of cells, each with its own algorithm
for voting yes or no. He would then show it a shape
(enter some data 8^), and Legion would, based on the
vote, tell him something (I forget what). Then he
would tell Legion the real answer. The cells that
voted correctly earned points, those that voted
incorrectly lost points.
As a cell lost points, it would eventually cross 0,
at which point it was a failure, and was cast out.
A different cell (algorithm) would take its place.
The idea was that hopefully, the cells would eventually
populate with algorithms with a high success rate.
He miscoded a test, though, and only the cells that
hit 0 exactly were cast out (into pigs, perhaps),
but those that jumped from +1 to -1 kept voting. A
program dump showd that some of these cells had
actually been performing a good service.
Anyone recall (much less have) this article? It was
very well written (a bit tongue in cheek)...
-Miles
OK, I give up! Since the list is no longer plain text,
will someone familiar with Eudora Pro 4.0 PLEASE tell me
how to configure Eudora it so that formatting like this:
****************** START PASTE *************************
------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BE3A7A.7073A200
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
***************** END PASTE ****************************
Doesn't cause the rest of the digest to look like this:
***************** START PASTE **************************
------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 21:35:15 -0600 From:
"Paul Braun" To: classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu Subject: RE: Kim-1 Computer
Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT Date sent: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 06:57:41 -0600
(CST) Send reply to: classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu From: Doug Yowza To:
"Discussion re-collecting of classic computers" Subject: RE: Kim-1 Computer
Originally to: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers > Mine is a
late model S/N 6176, postage cancled on May 18, 1977. > >From the few data
points so far, I'd say we've got monotonically > increasing serial numbers
starting with 1. (Of course, if they were C > programmers, then the first
one is S/N 0.) > > -- Doug OK. I had to look. My second KIM is #1051 with a
Rev. A board. It has the white ceramic MOS chips. This one shows plenty of
wear, however. It's mounted on a piece of masonite with a socket for the
one edge connector, a little bracket for a couple of 1/8" phone plugs (tape
connections), an expansion port (Centronics-type, I assume this is where it
was cabled up to a modified Selectric) and a terminal strip for power. The
LED's have had sockets installed under them, since I assume the originals
burned out. The 6502 also is socketed. This KIM was used by Stan Ockers and
Jim Butterfield while writing the "First Book of KIM". Stan would take it,
in the little briefcase he gave me along with it, to a computer club
meeting in Chicago where a guy had an IBM Selectric that he had modified to
work as a printer. Stan would load the programs he, Jim, and their partner
(sorry -- don't have my FBOK in front of me and the other name escapes me)
had written, and then print them out on the Selectric. These printouts were
then cut and pasted into the layout for the book. Is the bottom numbe on
the die cover the date code? If so, my 6502 is dated 1576. The thing is,
regardless of how much they sell for on e-pay, it means so much more to me
that Stan sat down and talked to me for an hour and a half about the book
and computing in those days and then gave me his KIM that I couldn't think
about selling it. Paul Braun NerdWare -- The History of the PC and the
Nerds who brought it to you. nerdware(a)laidbak.com www.laidbak.com/nerdware
********************* END PASTE *******************
THANK YOU VERY MUCH
=========================================
Doug Coward
Press Start Inc.
Sunnyvale,CA
=========================================