From: Eric Smith <eric(a)brouhaha.com>
>Adobe Streamline is a raster-to-vector program. I've got it, but I haven't
>ever tried it on schematics.
I would disparage Streamline but I assume/hope its improved in the 4 or 5
yrs since last used it... The vectorizer ( Trace? ) from Corel was pretty
good at that sort of stuff though.
- Mike:dogas@leading.net
-----Original Message-----
From: Miles O'Neal <meo(a)netads.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Saturday, 9 January 1999 19:10
Subject: Re: new to the list
>Ward Donald Griffiths III said...
>|tools I've found from a commercial supplier -- if somebody was to
>|port SMIT to Linux, my life would approach perfection.
>
>If they did, and trie dto put it on my system, I'd have
>to hurt them.
Ok, as a (currently) AIX deprived person, might I ask WTH is SMIT please?
Cheers
Geoff Roberts
Computer Room Internet Cafe
Port Pirie
South Australia.
netcafe(a)pirie.mtx.net.au
At 10:57 PM 1/10/99 -0600, you wrote:
>OK, next time somebody tells you that the Altair was the first personal or
>home computer, give them this URL:
> http://www.yowza.com/classiccmp/berkeley/report.html
>
> <snip>
>
>-- Doug
>
Very interesting document, Doug, and fun to read. But I think that in 1956,
a $4000 computer (Simon) could hardly be considered a home or personal
computer. Wouldn't that have been more than most people's annual salary?
I think on the price/performance scale, the Altair is the winner and still
champion; it's price was probably in reach of more hobbyists.
Cheers,
Mark.
What kind of network are you working with?
Appletalk, Ethernet..?
-----Original Message-----
From: van <van(a)wired.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Monday, January 11, 1999 7:00 PM
Subject: Macintosh SE
>Hi there...
>
>Does anyone have experience networking a Mac SE? I really need some
advice...
>
>Please help!
>
>xoxo van
>
>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>van burnham +++ van(a)wired.com +++ 71 +++++++ http://www.futuraworld.com
>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>designer +++ http://www.hotwired.com ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 415.276.8424 +++
>wired digital +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>++++++++++++++++++ 660 third street fourth floor san francisco ca 94107
>
>
-----Original Message-----
From: Uncle Roger <sinasohn(a)ricochet.net>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Monday, 11 January 1999 12:28
Subject: Re: Y2K stuff
>At 12:53 PM 1/9/99 +1030, you wrote:
>>Are they polymer rather than paper like all ours are now?
>
>Still paper, but with a few more security features.
>
>>To save money, the govt withdrew all coins below 5c, we now have $1 &
$2
>>coins,
>
>The US could have hundreds of millions of dollars by doing that (at
least
>$1 coins) but it has been demonstrated around the world that the only
way
>to do that *successfully* is to pull the bills out of circulation
>immediately as the coins are released.
That is what happened here. No notes < $5.
The $1 & $2 coins are a brass composite, and are gold in color. Quite
distinctive.
Cheers
Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Marks College
Port Pirie South Australia.
My ICQ# is 1970476
Ph. 61-411-623-978 (Mobile)
61-8-8633-0619 (Home)
61-8-8633-8834 (Work-Direct)
61-8-8633-0104 (Fax)
-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Sudbrink <bill(a)chipware.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Tuesday, 12 January 1999 7:41
Subject: RE: Bulbs in parallel
>> ObOT: BTW, does anybody know approximately when tit-tat-toe got
renamed
>> tic-tac-toe? Or is a regional thing?
>
>Don't our "Queen's English" friends (uk and au) call it "naughts and
>crosses"?
Noughts and Crosses actually. :^)
Cheers
Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Marks College
Port Pirie South Australia.
My ICQ# is 1970476
Ph. 61-411-623-978 (Mobile)
61-8-8633-0619 (Home)
61-8-8633-8834 (Work-Direct)
61-8-8633-0104 (Fax)
-----Original Message-----
From: John Lawson <jpl15(a)netcom.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Sunday, 10 January 1999 14:08
Subject: PR1ME system rescue
> The system is CPU, 32M of ram, 16 I/O ports, a Century 300M 10"
>drive, a Seagate Sabre attached to a SCSI PORT!! (yay!) a Kennedy
>9100 in Prime livery, and the usual load of cables and Stuff.
Congratulations. I want one of those too. Getting a bit rare around
here.
Cheers
Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Marks College
Port Pirie South Australia.
My ICQ# is 1970476
Ph. 61-411-623-978 (Mobile)
61-8-8633-0619 (Home)
61-8-8633-8834 (Work-Direct)
61-8-8633-0104 (Fax)
-----Original Message-----
From: Miles O'Neal <meo(a)netads.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Sunday, 10 January 1999 5:46
Subject: Re: RT - the rude, the bad, and the ugly
>Ward Donald Griffiths III said...
>|
>|> >The high bidder would get to step out back onto the rifle range
>|> >(why have 5 acres in Texas without a rifle range?), and put a
>|> >7.62mm bullet into the RT's evil, beating heart.
>|
>|Crappy NATO 7.62 renaming of .30 cal. Jerks. Gimme a Winchester
>|.308.
>Crappy Soviet 7.62x39 military ammo.
That too. :^) But a 7.62 NATO is a little shorter than the 7.62 Russian.
I was taught that an AK47 would chamber and fire a 7.62 NATO round, (a
bit loose, but it's fireable) but the 7.62 Russian won't fit in an SLR,
FN or M60. I doubt this is an accident.
>But find me a new gun in .308 for $99, and I'll buy it.
Got to Indonesia. We sold them the contents of the factory that made
our 7.62mm NATO/.308 SLR's
(Self Loading Rifles - Basically an FN rifle with a few refinements) You
could probably buy one dirt cheap.
I wouldn't vouch for how legal it would be. It's not a full auto
weapon, (the L1A1's we had, anyway) so it should be importable to your
country at least. There was an auto version (L2A1, IIRC) but it wasn't a
big hit.
Our Armed Forces downgraded (IMNSHO) to a locally made/modded version of
the 5.56mm F88 Steyr (Bullpup style)
They have already discovered that:-
1: If you go to ground the wrong way, you will smash it to bits (it has
a lot of plastic). Magazines and the butt are particulary vulnerable.
Magazines are transparent plastic.
2: It's not as accurate as they hoped because the scope gets beat up by
belting it around in the bush.
3: It's not as accurate as they hoped because the barrel/breech fit gets
stuffed up becaus of the brass hats insisting that the grunts have to
take the barrel off (a twist fit) when carrying out safety on the
weapon. You are supposed to pull off the barrel and squint into the
breech to make sure it's empty. This is not good for the weapon, as it
wears the lugs that latch the barrel to the receiver, eventually the
weapons accuracy (which is very good out of the box) reduces to a point
where it's only somewhat better than an AK47.
4: It's less reliable, lot's more little moving parts.
5: The round does less damage at long range than the heavier 7.62,
particularly, it doesn't penetrate anywhere near as well.
6: The troops hate it.
7: WOD's/RSM's hate it. The rifle drill movements looks like S...
"Reverse Arms" is a joke with this weapon.
8: It's capable of full auto and it weighs less than the SLR. About the
only positive statement I've heard about it, so far.
9: It doesn't have a bayonet fitting.
>But, like an IBM 3101 terminal, you can toss an SKS or AK off a roof,
>run over it with a truck, drag it through the mud, and it will *still*
>let you log on and do its job. Um, I mean, shoot as well as it ever
did.
This is not exactly inspiring. An AK is probably the most inaccurate
assault rifle ever built.
(As I'm sure you know already);^)
>[Which isn't that great, but fine for what it was intended for.
Useful at short range, but then so is a 9mm SMG.
>Just like an IBM 3101. Truly the Mack Truck of ASCII terminals.]
No experience with IBM 3101's, so I'll take your word for it. B^)
It would have to be truly awful to beat an ADM3 though. I have one of
those.
I used it as a console for a Vax for a while. (Shudder)
Cheers
Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Marks College
Port Pirie South Australia.
My ICQ# is 1970476
Ph. 61-411-623-978 (Mobile)
61-8-8633-0619 (Home)
61-8-8633-8834 (Work-Direct)
61-8-8633-0104 (Fax)
>OK, next time somebody tells you that the Altair was the first personal
>or home computer, give them this URL:
First - that's very interesting research and glad to read about
it (esp. remember some switch/relay/light versions of the
FoxHenCorn puzzle as well as Nim, and they remind me of the Claude
Shannon maze solving mouse in SciAM. I almost had that schematic
memorized but never built one. It had a 3 bit memory so it could
'learn' a 3 fork maze, and a rotating 'randomizer' for the one's
the mouse didn't know. My 'first' personal computer then was made
out of a piece of fence, 24 or so nails, a 'D'cell, 3 or 4 lamps
and a lot of hookup wire)
B_b_b_but
Berkeley Ent. didn't really market it as a personal *home*
computer, looks like the target audience they hope to sell into
is advertising gimmicks, 'show stoppers'. Also, unlike other
machines sold to academia or business uses, the Altair was
marketed to people who buy or build their own HI-FI/Stereos,
CB/Ham radios - i.e., the HOME hobbyist. For $60/ month. I can
own my OWN computer, free and clear to do whatever I want with,
not limited by the funding strings that dictate what I can do
with one at work or at school.
Free at last!!
Again, without any further defining guidelines, other than the
default Intel ('PC') lineage, and a tip of the hat to the
unsuccessful Mark-8, I posit that the 'first PC's' are the abacus,
knots on string, pushing stones around on tables, Napiers bones,
slide rules - or does it have to include an 'active' element
(relay, tube, transistor, IC)? I'm lost as far as what your
qualifying criteria is. Of course, one can always custom tailor
their list of criteria so that the machine you've already chosen
as 'first' comes out as such, post facto, hehe.
Chuck
cswiger(a)widomaker.com
Yep... That's it.
I guess my recollection isn't too bad considering I hadn't seen one in 35 years.
Haven't been following this group long enough to realize it's already been discussed. Shoulda known someone here would know what it was.
Thanks,
Steve Robertson - QA Team Leader <steverob(a)hotoffice.com>
-----Original Message-----
From: Ward D. Griffiths III [SMTP:gram@cnct.com]
Sent: Monday, January 11, 1999 4:58 PM
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
Subject: RE: Bulbs in parallel
The Edmund Digi-Comp I has been discussed here in the past, examine the
pictures at <http://galena.tj.edu.inter.net/digicomp/> and see if they
look familiar.
Ward Griffiths
"the timid die just like the daring; and if you don't take the plunge then
you'll just take the fall" Michael Longcor
On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Steve Robertson wrote:
> A little story:
>
> Seeing the tinkertoy computer reminds me of the mechanical "Computer" I got
> for Christmas when I was about 7 years old (1961..ish). It was a long long
> time ago and my memory could be a little distorted but, as I recall:
>