OK, I realize the subject line looks off topic, but it really isn't since
this deals with handling and archiving classic media. I seem to recall
someone mentioning some of the utilities such as 'putr', 'teledisk', and
various other won't work on a modern PC with a 5.25" floppy drive attached.
Am I remembering correctly? If so does anyone remember which programs are
effected?
Zane
| Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Adminstrator |
| healyzh(a)aracnet.com (primary) | Linux Enthusiast |
| healyzh(a)holonet.net (alternate) | Classic Computer Collector |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------+
| Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing, |
| and Zane's Computer Museum. |
| http://www.dragonfire.net/~healyzh/ |
On Sat, 9 Jan 1999 rhblake(a)bigfoot.com wrote:
> They still have an active and alive webpage at http://www.hayes.com/ without any
> mention of demise. Where did you get this info?
ZDNet. I think Hayes probably forgot to update their webpage, they
probably have better things to do.
----------------------------------------------------
Max Eskin | kurtkilgor(a)bigfoot.com | AOL: kurtkilgor
>> ObOT: BTW, does anybody know approximately when tit-tat-toe got renamed
>> tic-tac-toe? Or is a regional thing?
>
> Don't our "Queen's English" friends (uk and au) call it "naughts and
> crosses"?
Well, I _did_ call it that when I wrote a programme, sorry, program fom my
PET to play it. But it was a pun on the more conventional spelling,
"noughts and crosses"
AFAICT, Nought = Zero, Naught = Nothing
Tic-Tac-Toe is a name I had met even then, but Tit-Tat-Toe I've not come
across before. Any etymological connection with Tit for Tat?
Philip.
-----Original Message-----
From: Miles O'Neal <meo(a)netads.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Saturday, 9 January 1999 19:03
Subject: RT - the rude, the bad, and the ugly
<snip>
>Quick vignettes...
>
>1) I contracted for IBM here in Austin for a while. There
> was an RT on the austin.ibm.com network named "doorstop".
> AFAIK, about all it was being used for was to answer the
> pings for "doorstop".
>
>2) At PSW, Frank King (the IBM upper manager who more or
> less built the IBM workstation division) had just been
> installed as president when we took him on a tour of the
> premises. As we escorted him into the secure lab, his
> eyes lit up as he saw an RT.
>
> ``An RT! Wonderful! What do you use this for?''
>
> Tom Stewart pushed it in front of the door to hold it open.
> ``A doorstop? What else?''
<snip>
>The high bidder would get to step out back onto the rifle range
>(why have 5 acres in Texas without a rifle range?), and put a
>7.62mm bullet into the RT's evil, beating heart.
<snip>
>Nah, I'm sure there are 3rd world countries that would take them.
>But after they had them a while, they'd be even more pissed at
>the US than they are now... 8^/
Is that possible??? ;^)
Having almost choked on my coffee (actually it, was a West End Draught, but
I digress) and had my leg scratched by the resident cat who took flight off
my lap whilst reading the above, I think it may be time that we required
such posts to have an obligatory warning of C&C (Coffee & Cats) variety, so
I don't do it again. :^)
Any seconders?
Cheers
Geoff Roberts
Computer Room Internet Cafe
Port Pirie
South Australia.
netcafe(a)pirie.mtx.net.au
>
Thanks for the URL, Zane. Looks like I'll have to turn on the Bat...
errr... Magen signal. ;)
*throwing switch*
- Mike: dogas(a)leading.net
-----Original Message-----
From: Zane H. Healy <healyzh(a)aracnet.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Tuesday, January 12, 1999 1:29 AM
Subject: Re: RT-11 Help
>>I dont know RT-11 (yet.) and am looking forward to the experience. But
>>before that happens the seller wants to purge some sensitive employee
files
>>on the system. Can someone tell me how to tell him to 1) move through the
>>directory structure, and 2) how to delete specific files ( some that span
>>partitions 0 - du4 according to him ), and...
>
>No idea on this I'm afriad. My RT-11 system is no where near this complex
yet.
>
>>Where can I find a good source of RT-11 info?
>
>The RT-11 manuals, and good luck finding a set :^(
>
>On the other hand the following URL will have some basic info if you take
>the time to do some serious looking. It also has all kinds of other
>interesting info, DEC and other.
>http://www-ols.fnal.gov/ols/documents/docpn.html Of course this is all
>pretty specific to some government lab. Wish they had more of the
>documentation they list on line.
>
> Zane
>
>| Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Adminstrator |
>| healyzh(a)aracnet.com (primary) | Linux Enthusiast |
>| healyzh(a)holonet.net (alternate) | Classic Computer Collector |
>+----------------------------------+----------------------------+
>| Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing, |
>| and Zane's Computer Museum. |
>| http://www.dragonfire.net/~healyzh/ |
>
Hi! I've got a question: has anyone ever heard of a SCSI floppy drive? I
was talking to someone about one, and he said he'd never even heard of one,
and when I thought about it, I hadn't either.
Anyway, my question is about a WANG WLTC laptop that I have. It has an
internal 10 MB JVC 16pin HD (ID 0), and an external (no internal) 360k SCSI
floppy (ID 1). In the manual, it says that a 720k floppy and a 1.2 MB
floppy was also available for it. My question is will a 1.44 MB floppy work
on it? If so, where would I even be able to find one, since I've never even
seen one until I got this huge WANG. (weighs about 18 lbs, plus the floppy
is about another 18).
Happy Holidaze
-and-
ThAnX,
--
-Jason Willgruber
(roblwill(a)usaor.net)
ICQ#: 1730318
<http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
Sorry this is so late. I just don't do email when I'm at home.
And so over Christmas a lot of email piled up and I'm way behind
in my reading. If this question has been answered, well I havn't
gotten that far yet in my reading.
>On Sat, 19 Dec 1998 CLASSICCMP(a)trailing-edge.com wrote:
>> Unfortunately, lots of "fundamental" knowledge gets left out when you
>> skip electric lights and go to things much more complex.
Max Eskin said:
>OK, now I have the feeling I may have forgotten something. When you wire
>some bulbs in series, and one burns out, they all fail. If they are wired
>in ||, and one burns out, the others keep burning. What more is there?
OK, what would you say if I told you that you could build a two input AND
gate or a two input OR gate using just two neon bulbs (in parallel), one
resistor AND NO TRANSISTORS?
Or, how about a one bit readable, writable memory circuit consisting of
one neon bulb, two resistors, and a capacitor?
How about a ring counter with no ICs, no transistors?
I put some scanned pages up on my web page so you could grab them. The
.ZIP file consists of 11 .GIF files. Each file represents two pages.
So lamp4546.gif (pages 45 and 46) is the first two pages and lamp6566.gif
is the last two pages.
The zip file is at http://www.best.com/~dcoward/lamp.zip
If you can't view .GIF files offline, then just bring up each file with
your browser. Start with http://www.best.com/~dcoward/lamp4546.gif
I'll leave the files up for at least a week.
I hope this rekindles your interest in lamp circuits.
=========================================
Doug Coward
Press Start Inc.
Sunnyvale,CA
=========================================
This one is for all you British collectors.
-----Original Message-----
From: Jamie Stallwood <jamie_stallwood(a)bigfoot.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec,comp.os.vms
Date: Monday, 11 January 1999 9:54
Subject: Re: What is a VAX 8350 fully loaded worth?
>There will be a pair of 8350's with CI and dual HSCs coming free in
about 3
>months in Britain. If anyone can suggest a good home for it, or wants
to convert
>it into a large freezer or something, dop me a line at
>jamie.stallwood(a)cwcom.co.uk and I will let you know when it will become
free.
Cheers
Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Marks College
Port Pirie South Australia.
My ICQ# is 1970476
Ph. 61-411-623-978 (Mobile)
61-8-8633-0619 (Home)
61-8-8633-8834 (Work-Direct)
61-8-8633-0104 (Fax)
Geoff Roberts said...
|
|>Crappy Soviet 7.62x39 military ammo.
|
|That too. :^) But a 7.62 NATO is a little shorter than the 7.62 Russian.
The 7.62 NATO is 7.62x51, the same as a .308 Winchester.
The 7.62 Russian rifle cartridge is slightly longer than
this (either 53 or 54 mm), but that's completely different
than the 7.62x38, which was developed for carbines.
|Got to Indonesia. We sold them the contents of the factory that made
|our 7.62mm NATO/.308 SLR's
|(Self Loading Rifles - Basically an FN rifle with a few refinements) You
|could probably buy one dirt cheap.
By the time I factor in the trip, that would be equivalent
to going to Alaska to bu a Sinclair ZX80.
|>But, like an IBM 3101 terminal, you can toss an SKS or AK off a roof,
|>run over it with a truck, drag it through the mud, and it will *still*
|>let you log on and do its job. Um, I mean, shoot as well as it ever
|did.
|
|This is not exactly inspiring. An AK is probably the most inaccurate
|assault rifle ever built.
|(As I'm sure you know already);^)
At 100m, it's just fine. Which is what it wa sbuilt for - short
range (I admit, the idea of running the sites on my SKS up to
the 500m setting is hysterical - I would want something like a
battleship for a backstop!
But the IBM 3101 was a beast, too. Slow. Clunkiest keyboard I
think I have ever used. As big as a Cromemco with a Televideo
950. But built like a tank.
|No experience with IBM 3101's, so I'll take your word for it. B^)
It was IBM's irst (AFAIK) attempt to enter the world of ASCII and
RS-232. It was, I suppose, successful. It was the right thing
to put on a MODCOMP, which was what we had them on - because they
would probably both survive WWW III.
|It would have to be truly awful to beat an ADM3 though. I have one of
|those.
Want to get rid of it to make space for something else? 8^)
-Miles
Hello, all:
I recently got a Mac HD20 hard drive, which is the floppy-based hard
drive for the 512k Mac. It requires the HD20 INIT file, which does the
following:
<insert>
The Mac 128 and 512k will need [the HD20 INIT] extension to use the HD20.
The Mac 512ke and Plus do not. Basically the 64k ROM, 400k drive Macs need
the
extension and 128k ROM, 800k drive Macs don't. The 128k ROM as well as the
HD20 INIT give the required HFS instead of MFS of the 64k ROM. In fact your
Mac512k can also use an external 800k disk drive with the HD20 INIT (and
this works out well, 400k internal, HD20 hard drive, 800k external floppy).
The early Macs can support up to 3 floppy devices (including the one
inside)."
</insert>
Does anyone have this file? Thanks!
[ Rich Cini/WUGNET
[ ClubWin!/CW7
[ MCP Windows 95/Windows Networking
[ Collector of "classic" computers
[ http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/
[ http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/pdp11/
<================ reply separator =================>