A Customer needs a Mac IIsi monitor. Please email you offering to
manney(a)lrbcg.com
or call (419) 663-0700 (Work) 9-5, EST
or (419) 663-3371 (Home)
Thank you.
A friend asked me about what he says is an IBM unit that is running
Windows 3.1 and he says it says a type 4836. That number isn't clciking
with me, anyone have any ideas of what this is, or is he possibly
reading a tag from an add-on/in card? I saw a reference in IBM Finland
to a 4836 multiplatform emulation card but nothing else.
In a message dated 1/13/99 11:30:14 AM Pacific Standard Time,
rhblake(a)bigfoot.com writes about the 4846 machine type:
<< The guy is supposed to bring the main unit in today at work and I can see
what
this thing is up close. I have a feeling he's misread it as his physical
description sounds a lot like a PC or XT.
>>
probably so. then again, i spoke with more than one induhvidual who has a 3278
terminal or similar thinking they actually got a working computer to run
windows.
david
At 11:11 AM 1/8/99 -0500, Bill wrote:
>OT followup follows...
>WEAF became WNBC, the flagship of the now defunct NBC radio network.
>The network was sold of by General Electric ( -- who was stopped from
>buying RCA in the '30's by anti-trust issues -- ) to Westwood One
>which has now been partnering with Westinghouse (now the owner of CBS).
>
Wasn't RCA started as some sort of "holding" company, that didn't
manufacture products of their own? They first sold items made by (you
guessed it) General Electric and Westinghouse. Later they acquired
Cunningham who were also making vacuum tubes/valves and included them in the
name "radiotrons" for them.
-Dave
> This guy is looking to sell his TRS-80 Model 1 for a minimum bid of $300!
> :-/
And if you hurry, you can pop on over to Yahoo auctions and pick up an Apple
//e with, quote, "lots of software, accesesories, etc". Only a mere $600.
And, hey, no bids yet!!
http://auctions.yahoo.com/auction/2190993. Have a ball.
> Roger "Merch" Merchberger -- zmerch(a)30below.com
Hardee har,
Paul Kearns
paulk(a)microsoft.com
Hi!
I've got an old Tadny 600 laptop that I used to use for quick note-taking.
I "retired" it about a year ago when the battery would no longer run the
floppy and I had been given a Tandy 1400HD. Since then, the hard drive
controller in the 1400 has "lost the magic smoke", and I'd like to get the
600 running again. I replaced the NICd cells, charged them overnight, and
pressed the power switch. What do I get? Garbage filling the screen. I do
the 5-finger salute cold boot. Here's what I get:
--------
Uncoop System Load: Disk Error. Retry (Y/N)? _
--------
Disk error? from what I remember, this thing booted from ROM, and I don't
have any sort of system disk. I hit n.
It turns off. Great. I press power again, get two beeps, and this in the
center of the display:
--------
Unable to restart, critical system data damaged.
Hit any key to reinitialize system.
--------
Wonderful - system data damaged- doesn't sound good. I might as well hit
any key - can't get any worse. I hit "enter". To my surprise, I get the
old, familiar Microsoft Works 1.20 screen. I use the arrow keys to move the
cursor over "WORD", and hit enter. At the bottom of the screen, it says:
RUN application: WORD
That's where it's been sitting for 5 hours, because I can't turn it off,
either.
I also noticed that the "free memory" said that there were 976560 bytes
free. A year ago, there was only 32k.
Anyone have any suggestions?
ThAnX,
--
-Jason Willgruber
(roblwill(a)usaor.net)
ICQ#: 1730318
<http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
So..... what little space remained in my living room is now
occupied with to big racks of Prime system.
Its got 1 CPU, 48M of RAM, 32 ports, a Seagate Sabre, A Century
300M, a CDC 9766 top-loader, and a Kenndy 9100. I have many reels
of tape, and about three linear feet of operating documentation.
Maybe this weekend I can cable it up and light the fires.
But since I am mostly a DEC collector, I have no idea where to
start looking for Engineering and Maintenance docs on this machine,
and I have not had time (yet) to sift thru the Web for clews.
If there is, by chance, someone on this LIst who has leads to
Prime engineering printsets, I would be mightily pleased to
communicate with you.
From spending the last few nights reading the OS stuff... I am
impressed by the simplicity of the user interfaces and the operator
environment... just the thing for a CompuDummy like me.
Thanks in advance... pix of the Device will be loaded up to my
neglected webpage this weekend (honest!). www.lightsound.org
Cheerz
John
Forwarded from a newsgroup posting - please reply to original poster.
-jim
---
Newsgroups: comp.sys.prime
From: Brian Phillips <bphillip(a)venus.treco.net>
Subject: Two Primes must go
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:02:39 -0500
This is my second posting. I posted this information a few weeks/months
ago but now the machine is downed and waiting for pickup.
System #1
===================
Hardware:
===================
1 6650
2 770MB disks
1 820MB disk
1 1.3GB disk (SCSI)
3 LACs (ICS3, 64 port capacity each)
192 CLACS (serial, 9-pin male)
2 URC dataproducts printer interfaces
1 SCSI-II controller
1 10GB 8mm Helical tape . . . . . . . . . (MAYBE)
1 Telex Tri-density 9-track tape
1 LHC (LAN Host Controller (TCP/IP))
1 PT250 console terminal
Software:
===================
Primos r23.2
Information v8.2-23.2.0
TCP/IP v2.4r22 supports telnet, ftp, smtp
(and Primenet,RJE,EMACS,PNX,Talk to name a few)
System #2
===================
Hardware:
===================
1 2450
1 LAC (ICS3)
24 CLACS (serial, 9-pin male)
1 120MB disk
1 256MB disk
1 60MB cartridge tape
Software:
===================
Primos r22 (?)
Information v8 (?)
Primenet
Any takers?
Brian Phillips
Treasure Coast Internet, Inc. (http://www.treco.net)
759 S. Federal Hwy. Suite 316, Stuart, FL 34994
(561)286.6998 FAX: (561)286.7089 Modem: (561)286.2880
Ft Pierce 879.6177 Ft Pierce Modem: (561)879.9939
---
>> For programming, I would recommend BASIC, TO START WITH, followed by an
>> introduction to C and assembly as soon as basic principles are
>>understood.
>
>I don't see anything wrong with BASIC as a useable language for kids. I
>don't know why people are so down on it. Ok, so it doesn't have
>functions, and no, I wouldn't try to build a career out of it. I don't
>think throwing C and assembler at a kid "as soon as the basic principles
>are understood" would be necessarily productive. Let them have BASIC
>until its apparent they've outgrown it, then let them explore other
>options (but please keep them away from COBOL and Pascal :)
>
>Sellam Alternate e-mail:dastar@siconic.com
Why not Forth? Simple, interactive and gives immediate feedback. It also
has "high level" constructs, no GOTO, but is "low level" at the same time.
My six year old son loves it. The RPN style didn't bother him a bit (why
would it when he knew of nothing else?)
Ron Kneusel
rkneusel(a)mcw.edu