At 10:19 AM 1/13/99 -0800, you wrote:
>> I picked up both of these books at the museum in Bozeman, Montana. Listers
>> familiar with it? Funny little place.
>
>I heard those guys were clowns. Any truth to the rumor?
>
>Sellam Alternate e-mail:
dastar(a)siconic.com
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
>Always being hassled by the man.
>
I'd have to disagree. Other than the oddity of being located in Montana
(not exactly a hub of high-tech industry), I found the Museum well put
together, with an interesting collection. It is small, though, and probably
isn't worth a detour of more than 200 miles.
There were < 10 "big iron" mainframes, < 20 of the usual minis, with a
small collection of micros (20-30) - the latter weren't described in much
detail. The exhibits are arranged more or less chronologically by
technology, starting with mechanical computing devices (Hollerith Census
machines, Comptometers), moving on to electro-mechanical machines, then to
tubes, transistors, and microchips. Many of the machines are arranged in
office environments that replicate what they might have looked like when in
use, and there is some interesting supporting material (advertisements from
the era, etc).
The tour guides are very friendly, and knowledgeable enough to answer
questions from the general public.
It's a good place to introduce kids to many of the technologies and some of
the people involved in the development of computers; most of the people on
this list would probably find it less interesting. Much like computer
collecting, computer museums are still in their infancy, so let's not judge
too harshly.
For the record, the place is The American Computer Museum, 234 East Babcock
St., Bozeman, MT, 59715, tel (406) 587-7545, fax (406) 587-9620. No Web
site or email AFAIK.
And I have no affiliation, professional or personal, with the place.
Cheers,
Mark.
At 06:44 AM 1/13/99 -0800, you wrote:
>But not in most microcomputer BASICs. The Apple II, Atari and C64 all lack
>BEGIN-BEND, WHILE-WEND, block IFs; the 64 doesn't even have ELSE.
While-Wend (and Do While/Do Until) is just a shortcut for using If/Goto:
Do While Flag <> True
do some stuff
If condition then
Set Flag to True
end-if
loop
is the same as
:loop-in
If Flag = True Then
Goto loop-out
end-if
do some stuff
If condition Then
Set Flag to True
end-if
Goto loop-in
:loop-out
Spaghetti code is caused by bad programmers, not bad programming languages.
--------------------------------------------------------------------- O-
Uncle Roger "There is pleasure pure in being mad
roger(a)sinasohn.com that none but madmen know."
Roger Louis Sinasohn & Associates
San Francisco, California http://www.sinasohn.com/
At 01:09 AM 1/13/99 +0000, you wrote:
>> There are a lot of *really* good educational programs out there nowadays.
>> Davidson, Learning Company, Br0derbund are some good names. They can
>> really help kids get ahead. My niece is already reading at 4yo thanks to
>> Interactive Reading Journey. (Not a record by any stretch, but no one is
>> really pushing her.)
>
>Hmmmm... I am convinced that the age a child starts to read, and the
>interest he takes in obtaining information has a lot more to do with the
>parents than with computer programs.
True, but there are several instances where good software can make a lot of
difference. First, many parents don't have training in how to teach a kid
to read, so the software can be a good assistant. For children with a
learning disability, the software can make a huge difference. And even for
the best of parents, getting a kid to read is probably not as much fun as
playing the "games" used in these programs.
In the US, however, a lot of parents don't have the time/energy/interest to
work with their kids (yes, I know it should be a crime) so the software can
take over some of the work, so that the parent's limited
time/energy/interest can be directed towards the topics that a computer
can't handle.
I'm not saying that if a kid doesn't have a G3 Mac with all the software,
they'll end up working at McDonalds their whole life, but it can certainly
help them make the most of their potential without running everyone
concerned ragged.
btw, on a similar (and potentially off-topic) topic, does anyone have a
source for affordable quantities (like 20) SCSI CD-ROM drives? 2x is fine,
4x is more than enough. External would be idea, but internal is acceptable
as well. They're for my girlfriend's classroom. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------- O-
Uncle Roger "There is pleasure pure in being mad
roger(a)sinasohn.com that none but madmen know."
Roger Louis Sinasohn & Associates
San Francisco, California http://www.sinasohn.com/
Hey all, I've got a TI Silent 700 printing terminal, not the
portable one, but the big desktop kind of thing. It reminds
me of a DecWriter. But as near as I can tell, a couple boards
are missing from its internal card-cage. So...
1) Does anybody know these things well enough to help me figure
out for sure if it has all of its guts?
2) Is anybody interested in owning all or part of it? Even if
I can get it to work, I'm not terribly interested in keeping
it for myself.
Cheers,
Bill.
All,
The perfect computer for a child?
A NeXT Station, complete with Developer software if you can get it.
NeXTStep Version 3.3 is fine (minor Y2K fixes needed), Openstep 4.2 would
be better. A monochrome slab, 16M RAM/400M Disk ought to be about $200
(Hmm... <surf, surf> Deepspace Technologies
(http://www.deepspacetech.com/)is selling them for $135, but no Developer
software).
There are Spreadsheets, Word Processors, Web Browsers, and
Presentation Packages available for it for *free* (download from a web
site, no-cost license for single users). The Development environment runs
Objective-C, a completely OO system which is carried right through the
entire operating system. Regular C supported too (but I don't think C++ or
Pascal.)
The experience starts with an easy, gui interface and progresses
easily right up to Mach UNIX. Networking is built-in ethernet, with GUI
configuration tools (work great with other NeXTs) and Unix command-line
accessibility if you want more complicated stuff.
Mathematica will run on it, though that costs a *lot* unless you
are lucky enough to get it included on your machine. There's also a fair
amount of music software as well, which I can't really comment on because I
don't know much about it.
It's big, rugged (well, the mouse cable and kb cable are a bit
vulnerable) and impressive.
Best of all, there are not very many games that run on it. :-)
- Mark
On my computer scrounging trip yesterday I found a BIG monitor marked
"Apple Composite 2 page monitor". Anyone know exactly wha that is? I've
never heard of one before. What systems does it work on?
Joe
William Donzelli <william(a)ans.net> wanna know:
> > Not much to tell yet. It's a YMP-EL/98, the 8-cpu version of the
> > air-cooled "baby's first Cray" series.
>
> Not only air-cooled, but more or less plug-into-the-wall as well. I envy
> you.
Yeah - it appears to just need 220 and enough room HVAC. A raised floor
isn't even a requirement, though we're dying to put one in. Our biggest
concern is simply the footprint, as our machine room has pretty much run
out of space. We added a freebie sparcserver 690 on Saturday, and that's
about hogged out the remaining space we were figuring on devoting to the
Cray.
> > At the moment, we know of two other machines of the same family
> > that are now in private hands.
>
> I have had absolutely no luck in getting a supercomputer, for myself or
> for RCS/RI. Currently I am bothering people about a MasPar and an ETA, but
> both have hit brick walls. I suppose it helps to be in the right place at
> the right time. How did you manage?
Never seen a MasPar - would like to. The ETA would be a sweet find -
which model? I stole a nameplate off of one about ten years ago; those
machines are a solid piece of super history. Of course, in "Die Hard"
you get to see a whole floor of CDC machines, including an ETA-10, get
blown up _real_good_.
As far as "managing", I really don't want to say yet. Any further
comments before it's in our machine room would be premature. And the
people handing it over may very well not want us to disclose the source.
They've told us that there may be more machines in the future, as they're
decommissioned, and probably won't want the risk of people pestering them.
...
Courtesy Bruce Lane (kyrrin(a)my-dejanews.com), who turned me on to the list:
> Can someone please get in touch with this guy? He asks a most
> interesting question.
"Bill Mohler" <bill(a)cs.oberlin.edu>
> Subject: Help: Paper tape reader to PC
> Any advice on how to attach a paper tape reader to an IBM compatible
> computer? How about making the PC emulate a tape reader?
Anyone been in touch with this chap yet? I expected someone to post
a mention of the interface in question.
ObClassicBit: As they say, one of the jobs "on the things-to-do list" is
bringing up the front panel imsai with the asr-33 for the express purpose
of loading up a recently-acquired micro$oft 8K basis paper tape. Just out
of curiosity, how rare is this software? Anyone else on the list got it?
Anyone else want a copy if/when I get around to it? Hey, Bill! I'm
a-leggin' yer code! Come 'n' git me!
...
"John R. Keys Jr." <jrkeys(a)concentric.net> pitched:
> Another one that I really like is Stan Veit's History of The Personal
> Computer it's a great reference source with photos so that you know what to
> look for. He writes a little history about each machine. It's still only $3
> from the guy on ebay. John
This is WELL worth it. I met Stan at his store in NYC back 79; very nice
chap. His book is a good write from someone who was there.
On the other hand...
> > Haddock's book is A Collector's Guide to Personal Computers and Pocket
> > Calculators,
> > subtitled A Historical, Rarity, and Value Guide, by Dr. Thomas F. Haddock,
> > Books Americana, Florence, Alabama, 1993. ISBN 0-89689-098-8.
is a REAL piece of shit. This guy doesn't know anything, and the book
looks like it was assembled with a photocopier, a stack of old Byte
magazines, and a rubber stamp that says "Value: $50-$75".
I picked up both of these books at the museum in Bozeman, Montana. Listers
familiar with it? Funny little place.
...
>Hey, Chuck. Do you happen to remember approximately when that Shannon
>article appeared? Berkeley had many logic toys and robots, including a
Ok - don't have the Scientific Earthling article that a similar
project appeared in, but found in an IEEE book "C.E. Shannon:
Collected Papers" one called "Presentation of a Maze-Solving
Machine" - from "Transactions 8th Cybernetics Conference,
Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation, 1952".
Is a thick and chewy book. Also, get this - in the paper on
"Programming a computer for Playing Chess" (National IRE
Conference, March 9, 1949), he referances the game of Nim,
and that a machine able to play a perfect game has been
constructed - Condon, Tawney and Derr, U.S. Patent 2,215,544.
The "Nimotron" based on this patent was built and exhibited
by Westinghouse at the 1938 New York World's Fair.
Chuck
cswiger(a)widomaker.com
-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch(a)30below.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Tuesday, January 12, 1999 9:30 PM
Subject: Re: Tandy 600 acting screwy
>My 600 started doing this as well... but without the NiCd's in it at all.
>Methinks the nicads are necessary for voltage regulation or somesuch...
>
>One question: You mentioned replacing the nicads -- I don't know if this
>makes a difference, but did you use *hi-capacity* nicads??? The original
>nicads in the T600 were 4000mAh - the plain-jane RadioShack D-cell nicads
>are like 1800mAh or so, IIRC.
>
I used the hi-capacity ones. It was all that the local R/S carries as far a
D-cells goes.
>Aim for RS's Hi-Capacity Nicads - 4500mAh - should increase that 11 hour
>(advertised) runtime by over an hour.
>
>Or just order a new Tandy battery pack - for $80.00. :-( Ummm, I don't
>think so!!!
>
>Will let you know when I get mine working (local RS only had 3 batteries...
>:-/ ).
>
ThAnX,
--
-Jason Willgruber
(roblwill(a)usaor.net)
ICQ#: 1730318
<http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
In case anyone needs pictures of various NCR items from 1879 to present,
there is a page at http://www3.ncr.com/product/retail/gallery/ that has
all sorts of pics to include PC's and even a cash register in use in
Malaysia in 1910. Did Malaysia even have an economy then?
By the way, they moved their support files for NCR and AT&T 63XX
machines (setup disks) to the following
site:http://www3.ncr.com/support/pc/pcdesc/ and the pages tied to it.