She's looking for people in the Ottowa area -- contact her directly
- - - - -
I'm a journalism student working on my final project before graduation: a
documentary. I'm looking into the world of old computers as a possible
subject. I'm specifically interested in meeting anyone who has a
collection, or one very special old computer. Anyone interested in
showing off their peices of computer history, please reply to this message.
Sally Goldberg
Journalism IV
Carleton University
--
Sally Goldberg
4th Year Journalism, Carleton University
ch989(a)freenet.carleton.ca sgolber(a)chat.carleton.ca
- - - - -
>I went, I saw, I don't beleive it either. When I was looking at it there
>were ZERO bids, I wonder why.
That's strange... I entered a bid of $12500.00 about half an hour ago. Damn,
I hate it when eBay drops my bids like that.
- Joe
>::Texas Instruments Compact Computer 40. This is a lot like the TRS-80
>::PC-4 in appearance, but a bit bigger. It has BASIC in ROM and a
>::connector for cartridges. Is there anything actually useful for this?
>::THe keyboards too small to do any actual word processing.
>
>Got a picture?
You can see a picture of one (not mine) at
<http://pw1.netcom.com/~bcostin/cc_ticc40.htm>.
Tom Owad
--
Sysop of Caesarville Online
Client software at: <http://home.earthlink.net/~tomowad/>
> From: PCTech
> Sorry about the HTML! I've been messing with the system and forgot to put
it back on plain text.
You're still sending HTML.
And when I reply to an HTML message, my mailer defaults to HTML.
Sigh.
If you want to debug turning off HTML, you can send mail to me and I'll let
you know when you have it turned off.
- Joe
Sorry about the HTML! I've been messing with the system and forgot to put it back on plain text.
-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph S. Barrera III <joebar(a)microsoft.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Friday, January 15, 1999 5:29 PM
Subject: Re: Commodore 1541 on ebay for $8500.00
Granted, but it's a much more *mundane* rip-off.
----- Original Message -----
From: PCTech
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
Sent: Friday, January 15, 1999 4:31 PM
Subject: Re: Commodore 1541 on ebay for $8500.00
Even at $85.00 thats a rip off. I have one that i would consider in mint condition with all the parts manuals and original box I got it for $12.95.They had that Osborne 1 on there for $5000.00 and i just got one for free.If these people dont want the stuff let the folks who want it to restore it or whatever HAVE IT.
-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph S. Barrera III <joebar(a)microsoft.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Friday, January 15, 1999 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: Commodore 1541 on ebay for $8500.00
I'm confident that's a typo (probably meant $85). I've sent mail to the seller.
----- Original Message -----
From: PCTech
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
Sent: Friday, January 15, 1999 3:18 PM
Subject: Commodore 1541 on ebay for $8500.00
You gotta go see this i cant believe it $8500.00
I'm confident that's a typo (probably meant $85). I've sent mail to the seller.
----- Original Message -----
From: PCTech
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
Sent: Friday, January 15, 1999 3:18 PM
Subject: Commodore 1541 on ebay for $8500.00
You gotta go see this i cant believe it $8500.00
> silly assumptions about the machine (MS-DOS software often assumes that
> the floppy drive is A: and the hard disk is C: - and refuses to let you
> change this!). Or that misdetect the hardware I have (my enhanced CGA
In fact, I've always found the limitations of DOS and PCs curious. Does
anyone know why:
*They refuse to boot from anything but A: or C:
*DOS FDISK refuses to create more than 1 primary partition
*DOS can't find an ATAPI cd-rom without a driver, even though it's an IDE
device
*Why we are limited to 2 floppy drives in DOS
Granted, but it's a much more *mundane* rip-off.
----- Original Message -----
From: PCTech
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
Sent: Friday, January 15, 1999 4:31 PM
Subject: Re: Commodore 1541 on ebay for $8500.00
Even at $85.00 thats a rip off. I have one that i would consider in mint condition with all the parts manuals and original box I got it for $12.95.They had that Osborne 1 on there for $5000.00 and i just got one for free.If these people dont want the stuff let the folks who want it to restore it or whatever HAVE IT.
-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph S. Barrera III <joebar(a)microsoft.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Friday, January 15, 1999 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: Commodore 1541 on ebay for $8500.00
I'm confident that's a typo (probably meant $85). I've sent mail to the seller.
----- Original Message -----
From: PCTech
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
Sent: Friday, January 15, 1999 3:18 PM
Subject: Commodore 1541 on ebay for $8500.00
You gotta go see this i cant believe it $8500.00
At 12:13 AM 1/15/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Well, in grades 6-8 I was playing with exolosives. My friend and I
>were interested in rockets, but we couldn't afford the Estes kits.
[...]
>a couple of burns, so did my partner, we were lucky because we didn't
>always follow the rules that well -- making rocket fuel out of sugar
When I was a kid (back before I learned that detectives didn't always
escape to catch the bad guys like in the Hardy Boys) I had a book about a
texas P.I. named (iirc) J.J.Armes. He was ironically named because as a
boy he lost both hands while playing with dynamite.
While I definitely understand the benefits of first-hand experience, I
don't think I'd want any kids I know to have eyesight like mine just so
they can learn for themselves. Part of the value of intelligence is that
past experiences can be shared.
Your 8-year-old doesn't need to get a soldering iron scar -- you can show
her yours, and hopefully, that will be good enough for her.
btw, something I find amusing is the idea that some folks have here that if
it ain't the way it was done when they were kids, then by gummit, it just
ain't no good. In some cases, that may very well be true. You won't find
a vehicle available on the market today that can compare with my 40 year
old Land Rover. But on the other hand, it's not stock either. It's got
GPS, onboard laptop, wireless internet connection, dual batteries, chevy
engine, overdrive, etc.
Similarly, there's nothing wrong with books, but to say that's the only way
to learn to read is like saying that newsletters should be hand-typed and
reproduced on (what was it?) spiritusumdruckers! That guy on TV that
builds things with only homemade tools is interesting, but I don't see too
many contractors working that way.
>(But I nowadays know enough first principals to get or make many of
>the raw materials we used to buy at the drugstore, potassium nitrate
>and several of its chemical cousins being among the main things our
Why does this frighten me, Ward? 8^)
--------------------------------------------------------------------- O-
Uncle Roger "There is pleasure pure in being mad
roger(a)sinasohn.com that none but madmen know."
Roger Louis Sinasohn & Associates
San Francisco, California http://www.sinasohn.com/