Here's someone in Belgium wanting to get rid of a Victor 9000. It was an
early 80's 8086-based machine that came out before the PC but eventually
was PC-compatible. It was actually a much better machine than the PC and
had many interesting innovations, but we all know the story.
Please respond to the owner directly.
Reply-to: phonelinks(a)skynet.be
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:03:26 +0100
From: Fabrizio Franzi' <phonelinks(a)skynet.be>
Subject: victor 9000 (also called Sirius)
Hello, I wonder if anyone would anybody have an interest in a "new" Victor
9000. 256KRAM, 2 double-speed 1.2 MB 5 1/4" FDs, monochrome screen,
qwerty keyboard. Used to run cp/m 86 and ms-dos 2.0. I'm in Belgium
(Brussels)
--
kind regards
Fabrizio Franzì
---------------------------------------------
e-mail: phonelinks(a)skynet.be
voice: +32 2 347 2566
gsm: +32 75 474775
fax: +32 2 372 2258 or +32 2 347 2471
Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar(a)verio.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always being hassled by the man.
Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0!
See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details
[Last web site update: 01/15/99]
And this one too:
pdp 11/34
Monday, 02-Nov-98 15:45:05
Message:
193.74.7.181 writes:
I have a complete pdp11/34 with removable hardddisks puncher reader
deckpack rk05f rk05j
deckpack 28 .attention its a very old one buth he is complete.it's
in belgium
david_evi(a)hotmail.com
Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar(a)siconic.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always being hassled by the man.
Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
[Last web site update: 01/15/99]
Found this on a web-site:
Radio Shack TRS80 model 12 brand new, sealed box
Tuesday, 03-Nov-98 09:06:02
Message:
205.188.193.39 writes:
Brand new, in un-opened sealed box,
Radio Shack TRS80 Model 12 microcomputer
for sale, also used ones available.
E-mail or call to 773-935-7080 ext. 205
Attn: Darius Augustine
Darius Augustine Tel: 773-935-7080 ext. 205
Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar(a)siconic.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always being hassled by the man.
Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
[Last web site update: 01/15/99]
At 11:37 PM 1/14/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I've never seen a "BY" modifier although I wouldn't doubt that some BASIC
>could have been designed with it. But are you sure you didn't mean
>"STEP"?
Okay, so I've been doing COBOL too long... 8^) Yes, in BASIC it's STEP.
Same idea as COBOL's BY option. (In COBOL it would be PERFORM VARYING
variable BY inc FROM start UNTIL variable IS GREATER THAN end (I think --
it's not a common usage of the Perform verb.))
>and while loops (I rarely use for's), but C really suffers from a lack of
>a general error trapping mechanism that one can invoke to break out of
>loops as required. Sometimes I think goto's are the answer but I can
>never find an appropriate way to implement it.
errflag := 0 /* is it := in C to assign a value? */
DO WHILE variable < end AND errflag = 0 {
do stuff
variable++ /* I think that increments a variable */
IF error THEN
errflag := 1
ENDIF
LOOP
IF errflag = 1 THEN
do error processing
ENDIF
No, I'm not a C programmer (nor do I play one on TV).
--------------------------------------------------------------------- O-
Uncle Roger "There is pleasure pure in being mad
roger(a)sinasohn.com that none but madmen know."
Roger Louis Sinasohn & Associates
San Francisco, California http://www.sinasohn.com/
On Jan 16, 8:22, Ward Donald Griffiths III wrote:
> Subject: Re: Merced - and the ol' Unix story (was Re: OT, but info
needed
> Doug wrote:
>
> > ObCC: Around 1980 or so, I knew somebody with a license plate that said
> > "Unix: Live Free or Die". Was this issued by Bell Labs? And who has
one
> > they'd like to sell?
>
> That was DEC, when they were first plugging Ultrix.
DEC may have done so, but they originally came from Armando Stettner, one
of the early Unix developers, at one of the unix conferences. I don't
think Ultrix goes quite as far back as 1980?
--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Dept. of Computer Science
University of York
On Jan 15, 20:37, jpero(a)cgocable.net wrote:
> Subject: Re: Commodore 1541 on ebay for $8500.00
> Date sent: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:35:25 -0800
> Send reply to: classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu
> From: "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh(a)aracnet.com>
> To: "Discussion re-collecting of classic computers"
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: Commodore 1541 on ebay for $8500.00
>
> > Hey, that's impressive. By default my e-mail program which can handle
this
> > garbage displayed a blank screen. Simply put people, _PLEASE_ use
plain
> > text. I'm quoting the garbage so you can see the garbage you're
sending.
> > 34 lines of crap for 1 line of message, that's MicroSlop for you.
> >
> > Zane
>
> Now I don't waste on this and they get killed on sight unread.
>
> Jason D.
That's exactly what I do, and I suspect that many other readers do the
same. It's not even good HTML -- with all those font and colour
requirements that many systems couldn't honour. Like Zane, I use a mail
reader that can handle MIME, but it often fails on the bad HTML and/or
screwy MIME-types that some messages contain.
--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Dept. of Computer Science
University of York
>Erm, are you speaking mailer as in mail *client* or mail *server*. If mail
>client, there should be a setting that states "Never send HTML."
Mailer client. A pre-pre-release version of Outlook Express 5.
There is such a setting, but it gets ignored (apparently) when replying to
an HTML message.
Feel free to keep beating this dead horse. I'm sure everyone else on this
list cares. A lot.
- Joe
Hi!
Does anyone have, or know where I can get an IBM 5155 Portable computer?
I'm not necessarily concerned about originally, just as long as the monitor,
P/S, and keyboard work, and it's in fairly good condition ( I have a bunch
of parts). I'm basically looking for it for sentimental value, since a 5155
was the first IBM-compatible computer that I used. It was in the elementary
school that I went to, and neither the floppies or HD worked, so all it ran
was ROM BASIC, and saved the programs on cassette. Since I had an old
TRS-80, I was fairly familiar with BASIC, and wrote approx. a whole
cassette-full of programs on the thing during study halls, free periods,
etc.
When I was talking to my teacher over the summer, the subject of the 5155
came up, and I ended up asking him if he would find out if the school would
want to sell it. Well, the next year, I asked the teacher about it, and he
said that the school told him that I could have it. The only problem was
that over the summer, it had been "lost". Big surprise when they never
found it.
Anyway... If anyone has one that they'd like to sell/trade, please email me.
I have various XT parts, a 386 full-AT motherboard (upgrade for the 5170
M/B), and an old desktop case.
ThAnX,
--
-Jason Willgruber
(roblwill(a)usaor.net)
ICQ#: 1730318
<http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
At 06:54 PM 1/15/99 +0000, Tony wrote:
>> 3 other bits. Much easier to "fix" than the MOS encoder chip, if that chip
>> was programmed for a custom matrix, such as the Heath H19 terminal.
>
>I have the H19 schematics here (well, actually the Z90 schematics, but
>AFAIK the 'terminal' part of that computer is a H19), and I'm suprised
>that the encoder is custom. There's a ROM between the data outputs of the
>keyboard encoder and the data lines of the terminal processor. I would
>have thought that would have handled the translation for the custom matrix.
>
>If they did use a custom version of the encoder chip, then what on earth
>is that ROM doing there?
>
Yes, I found the manual and there is both an encoder AND a ROM. Seems sort
of redundant, can only guess why. Many years ago the encoder chip died in
mine, and I first tried the generic version of the chip, most likely a GI
part. It didn't work, ended up ordering a replacement from Heathkit which
did work.
Also found that leaving the hinged case cracked open helped with the
cooling, the metal flange/heatsink on the pc board gets quite hot.
Never upgraded mine to a computer- Z89 or such. Thought at the time there
was a neat graphics add on for it as well.
-Dave