On 18 Jan 1999 Eric Smith wrote:
>Note that there are three important considerations to long-term data storage:
>...
>2) A suitable mechanism for the data recovery has to exist, or be
> constructed. Sufficient technical specifications of the media format
> has to be preserved to allow the preservation or construction of the
> mechanism.
>...
>The second consideration may actually require the use of media that is not
>optimal for the first consideration. For instance, other forms of optical
>WORM discs might have better longevity than CDR, but the technical
>specifications are not as readily available.
Full description of the media is available, at least for several "standard"
types of WORM disk; see e.g. http://www.ecma.ch/
-- Mark
More information on the VAX 6000 at Bermans in California (408) 955-7908
This is a VAX 6000/330, sitting next to it is a TU81 Plus tape drive
mounted above an RA-82. All in the "low" grey/white DEC cabinets (two
cabinets total). Sitting on top of the TU81Plus are two boxes, one marked
VAXStation 4000 - 60 and one marked BA42A, the latter has a SCSI connector
so I presume it is the disk for the VAXstation. They are _not_ in this
week's auction so I don't know what happened there.
If you're interested call them, not me :-)
--Chuck
Can anyone help this guy?
A
-----Original Message-----
From: Reddzz(a)aol.com [mailto:Reddzz@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 1999 6:45 AM
To: adavie(a)mad.scientist.com
Subject: Dos 2.11
I have a Zenith Z120. Model ZWG-121-32. I, Not knowing what I had, loaded
dos
3.3. I did not make a backup copy of the original dos. I need dos 2.11 so
I
can boot up the system & get it up & running again. If you cannot help me
please respond as well so I can continue my search. If you know someone
that
could possibly help please forward this e-mail to them or get back with me.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Respectfully,
Jim Hill
>
>I went computer scrounging today and found a brief case style tool box
with some kind on IBM tester in it. I have so idea what it is but it has
an 8" floppy disk drive in it! I got the floppy disk too. It has a NICE
handset with a 4 line LED display and a full keyboard attached by a cable.
There's also a lot of strange looking connectors and adapters with it. The
main box has an "IPL" button and three connectors labeled "PIO", "S LOOP"
and "R LOOP". The quick reference chart only calls it a "MD". There's a
tag on it that says "TYPE 910x 002". Anyone know what it is and what it's
for?
>
> Joe
I powered up the THING today. It says it's a Stand Alone Terminal
Exorciser, PN 08309930, date 01/84. It passes the self test and brings up a
menu that lets you select 327X Tutorial, 327X BSC, SDLC/SNA or R-LOOP.
Selecting the R-LOOP option brings up another menu for 8775 Device or 3276
Device. That's as far as I can get in the menu, after that it asks for a CU
address or will autoscan for it but of course there's nothing connected so
it doesn't find what ever it's looking for. Does anyone know any more
about it?
Joe
>> Personally a VMS node suits my liking.
>>
>Mine too, but I haven't gotten all the parts for my VaxStation 3100 yet.
>
I have a few 3100-30's here for spares. What parts do you need?
Dan
>>The main difference is the power consumption. The CMOS version takes a
>>much lower supply current (even when selected).
>>
>>There may also be differences in the access time (but fast enough CMOS
>>EPROMs exist) and the programming algorithm (but that only matters to the
>>programmer).
>>
>>They are essentially pin/function compatible.
>
> Erm, correct me if I'm wrong ('cause I may very well be) but at least in
> comparison with 4xxx CMOS vs. 74xx TTL, not only do the require less
power
> to do their job, but they can also *provide* less power on their outputs
to
> other chips' inputs, right?
Hmm. You're comparing CMOS with TTL. The traditional EPROMs are not TTL
but NMOS - very similar components (at the transistor level) to CMOS, but
fewer different sorts available. NMOS uses enhancement mode FETS and
depletion mode FETS of N-channel polarity. CMOS uses enhancement mode FETS
of both sorts. In theory, depletion mode FETS could be fabricated by the
CMOS process, but I've never heard of it being done except perhaps for
NMOS-compatible outputs etc.
So I don't envisage a difficulty here. The newer designs of CMOS parts
should compensate for any inherent disadvantages with CMOS technology.
Philip.
On Jan 17, 19:01, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> Subject: Re: OT? On Programming (was: Re: Computers for children)
> Pete Turnbul wrote:
> ::I'd guess elm (which is what pine was originally based on) is smaller,
> ::sleeker, and simpler. Not a bad thing...
> My original choice of elm was basically because you got to pick from:
>
> * cat $MAIL
> * mailx
> * elm
cat?? You don't use dd? ;-)
> Hmm, let me think ... uh ... let's try elm.
Sounds like a reasonable choice :-)
--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Dept. of Computer Science
University of York
But, when you consider things, most people wouldn't have seen what we
consider a "hard drive" for probably 40-50 years, if not more. By that
time, computers will probably be the size of, if not smaller than a 1999
hard drive. The computer in the time capsule will probably seem like the
ENIAC does to those who are accustomed to today's compact desktops and
laptops.
I just thought of something else: Is a modern, voice-coil-driven (heads)
hard drive even alignable? The old drives with the stepper were, but they
usually operated on the principle of a floppy drive (in the way the heads
moved, at least). In a modern drive, if the heads would somehow "un-align",
all you would normally have done is get the data rescued, reformat the
drive, and put everything back on, or, what *most* (not necessarily people
on this list) people would do, is just get the data rescued (if their job,
or life, depended on what was on the drive), trash the mis-aligned drive,
buy a new one, and re-install everything.
--
-Jason Willgruber
(roblwill(a)usaor.net)
ICQ#: 1730318
<http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Ismail <dastar(a)ncal.verio.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Sunday, January 17, 1999 7:34 PM
Subject: Re: Disasters and Recovery
>
>We're talking 100 years here. Computers didn't even exist in 1899, and
>now you can wear one on a ring. I think aligning a 1999 hard drive, a
>physical item that is still very visible by the naked eye, will be among
>the more mundane tasks in 2099.
>
>Of course, the point is pretty much moot anyway.
>
>Sellam Alternate e-mail:
dastar(a)siconic.com
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
>Always being hassled by the man.
>
> Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
> See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
> [Last web site update: 01/15/99]
>
>
Slightly related to the subject of reading CD's in 100 years:
On one of their recent space probes, NASA put a DVD (just the disk, in a
little pocket on the outside of the probe, possibly with a plaque of some
kind but probably no directions on reading).
I suspect DVD's are much more complex than CD's. I would trust a CD on a
space probe more than I would trust a DVD. The records on Voyager (both
Voyagers, I guess) -- which include styli and playing directions -- strike
me as a MUCH better idea.
-- Derek
>> I find this proposition very doubtful at best, although I don't have any
>> solid figures for EPROM data retention. You seem to be suggesting a
>> linear relationship between elapsed time and the number of bits that
remain
>> good. The actual curve is an inverse exponential (if memory serves).
>
> Wow! That would imply some sort of self-catalyzed reaction, and I'd be
> very interested in hearing how that works!
Eh? No it wouldn't. Never mind the mechanism, do a thought experiment.
Sorry Hans, I mean a Gedankenexperiment :-)
Assume you have a memory technology for which you expect half the bits to
get zapped in 20 years.
In another 20 years, half the bits will get zapped - but it won't be
selectively all the others. On average, expect half the remaining (intact)
bits to get zapped, and half the already zapped bits to get zapped. So
you're left with a quarter. And so on.
20 years is thus the half-life of an exponential decay.
Now with technologies like EPROM it's a bit more complicated, because the
zapping of bits is not a random (Poisson) process but depends on a decay of
charge within the device. But you get the idea (I hope).
Philip.