<I am just curious if anyone else is keeping semiconductor data sheets and
<data books from the early days? In checking though some stuff that was
<going to the recycler, I found a bunch of 70s and early 80s data sheets an
<put them into the car. Additionally, there were a bunch of the early 80s
<Intel data books that I will be looking at later.
Over the years I've kept a large number of databooks and sheets for parts I
used or related to. I still consider it a resource that I can pull out a
RCA transmitting tube manual or RCA transistor manual!
Allison
-----Original Message-----
From: Jay West <jlwest(a)tseinc.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Tuesday, May 18, 1999 3:12 PM
Subject: Re: Honeywell Bull
>Again, I don't have Honeywell knowledge, but didn't they create a division
>called Honeywell Bull Information Systems, and rebadged multiple systems
>under that name?
>
>My only knowledge of this comes from my General Automation days. When their
>Motorola based line was loosing market share to the Unix crowd, they
>introduced a server called a Honeywell Bull (blue/green nameplate I think)?
Navy blue background, white "Bull", and a green tree, sort of like the one
on the newer Zenith Data Systems logo?
>That system I know for sure was an RS6000. Perhaps HBIS rebadged more than
>just the RS6000. Sounds like it anywho...
>
The AP-M sort of looks like a souped-up NEC APC III (a bit bigger, but same
basic case design).
///--->>>
-Jason Willgruber
(roblwill(a)usaor.net)
ICQ#: 1730318
<http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
At 04:18 PM 1/18/99 -0500, you wrote:
>> Don't discard it or destroy it -- they are probably not all that easy to
>> get, and I can imagine that one or more folks on this list might be
>> interested in it.
>
>Yes!
>
Then make an offer for it or else it gets chopped for the 8" floppy
drive and the nice box. I'm interested in HP & S100 stuff so I'll swap for
anything along those lines.
Joe
My brother-in-law has found a Visual Technology Commuter
"portable" at a local thrift. It's operational and runs
PC-DOS 3.10, for which its previous owner thoughtfully
included a boot diskette.
This machine has an LCD display, and two 1/2 height
black face 5.25" floppy drives and 512K of RAM. Despite
a diligent internet search, this is all we know.
Does anyone here have any fond memories and/or pointers
to more information on this machine?
Thanks!
Michael Passer
mwp(a)acm.org
I mentioned that it was a 286-10 -- that's what QAPlus says. No where on
the board can I find a 286 processor. It has an ISA bus, and runs a OEM'd
version of DOS 3.3. It also has a software-driven Turbo setting.
///--->>>
-Jason Willgruber
(roblwill(a)usaor.net)
ICQ#: 1730318
<http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
-----Original Message-----
From: Jason (the General) <roblwill(a)usaor.net>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Tuesday, May 18, 1999 2:41 PM
Subject: Re: Honeywell Bull
>Maybe that's the mainframe that goes with a computer that I found! <g>
>Doubt it, though.
>
>I just got a Honeywell Bull AP/M from a flea market for $1.
>
>Anyone have any info on this thing? From what I can tell, it's a 286-10,
AT
>compatible, and has a 20MB HD ST-225 behind a translucent plate (sort of
>like an AT&T 6300, but gray) under the 1.2MB floppy. It also has a spot of
>a "full-height" 3.5" floppy (as high as a half-height 5" floppy).
>
>ThAnX,
>
>///--->>>
> -Jason Willgruber
> (roblwill(a)usaor.net)
> ICQ#: 1730318
><http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Tom Owad <owad(a)caesarville.net>
>To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
><classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
>Date: Tuesday, May 18, 1999 1:04 PM
>Subject: Honeywell Bull
>
>
>>I have an opportunity to acquire a Honeywell Bull mainframe, free of
>>charge. I don't have many details on it, but I'm told the computer is
>>about 4x3x2 feet and supported 30 terminals. Any opinions on whether or
>>not this is a computer worth saving, and if it is worth the space it will
>>take up?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Tom Owad
>>
>
>
<< >> > But where can you find a drive that can read a sheep?
>>
>> You mean you've not come across baa-code readers :-) >>
you must be feeling sheepish after that one-liner!
Maybe that's the mainframe that goes with a computer that I found! <g>
Doubt it, though.
I just got a Honeywell Bull AP/M from a flea market for $1.
Anyone have any info on this thing? From what I can tell, it's a 286-10, AT
compatible, and has a 20MB HD ST-225 behind a translucent plate (sort of
like an AT&T 6300, but gray) under the 1.2MB floppy. It also has a spot of
a "full-height" 3.5" floppy (as high as a half-height 5" floppy).
ThAnX,
///--->>>
-Jason Willgruber
(roblwill(a)usaor.net)
ICQ#: 1730318
<http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Owad <owad(a)caesarville.net>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Tuesday, May 18, 1999 1:04 PM
Subject: Honeywell Bull
>I have an opportunity to acquire a Honeywell Bull mainframe, free of
>charge. I don't have many details on it, but I'm told the computer is
>about 4x3x2 feet and supported 30 terminals. Any opinions on whether or
>not this is a computer worth saving, and if it is worth the space it will
>take up?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Tom Owad
>
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Adrien K. Verbrugghen" <adverb(a)halcyon.com>
Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp11
Subject: vt220
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 08:59:58 -0800
I have several vt220/kbd sets which I need to dispose of - anyone
want them?
Seattle area.
-A.
-- end of forwarded message --
Email Adrien directly please 8-)
BC
From: John Foust <jfoust(a)threedee.com>
>It looks like one of their founders or primary programmers
>is now at an embedded OS company as seen at
><http://www.gensw.com/PAGES/ABOUT/STEVEJ.HTM>.
Thanks John, I got some emailing to do...
- MIke: dogas(a)leading.net
Without going into a lot of extraneous detail.. I am on several
comittees and groups etc., involved in the restoration and
preservation of films, sound tracks, and video media.
All the high-techsolutions notwithstanding, one of the long-term
archival methods is still an optically-recorded signal on stablized
mylar or estar-based photographic film of some kind. With the
proper care in processing the film life is forcast to be in excess
of 500 years, and all that is required to 'read' it is a light
source and a photo-responsive device.. plus the algorithms to
recover the intelligence from the data stream. In the case of
purely analog info, an audio amp, speaker, (and knowing the
language) are the only recovery criteria. Data is a little more
complex, but hopefully in 2100 somebody will be able to translate.
Unless we've managed to reduce ourselves to cave-man status once again.
;}
Cheerz
John