Hello, all:
I'd like to try to get my Mac 512k, Apple //gs, and IW-II talking
together. I have all of the LocalTalk (PhoneNet style) hardware connected to
the respective units. However, this is the first time that I'm attempting
any form of networking on my Apples, so I really don't know where I'm going.
I know that you have to identify one of the serial ports as LocalTalk.
I've done this in the //gs Control Panel, and I think that I've done this on
the Fat Mac, but what am I supposed to see? How do I know that it works?
Thanks again.
[ Rich Cini/WUGNET
[ ClubWin!/CW7
[ MCP Windows 95/Windows Networking
[ Collector of "classic" computers
[ http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/
[ http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/pdp11/
<================ reply separator =================>
Available --
FolderBolt (Kent Marsh, Ltd) Shrink Wrapped
Blue Max (Qualitas) for 386, PS/2 and Win 3.0
LapTrack (Timeslips Corp), includes Timeslips III (Sticker on the front
saying "System 7 Compatible". Shrink Wrapped.
As usual, make an offer...eBay prices most welcome.
manney(a)hmcltd.net
In einer eMail vom 13.01.1999 07:49:30, schreiben Sie:
<<
John G. Zabolitzky wrote:
> 6 bit characters were quite the standard BEFORE /360 days, say for
> CDC 6600, CDC 7600 (the most powerful computers from mid-60s until
> the appearance of the CRAY-1 machines, forerunners of the Cyber 170
series),
> or IBM 7030, IBM 7090, IBM 7094 say, back in the '60s.
> They were not called bytes, and could not be addressed directly;
> there were 36 bit or 60 bit words, and shift / logical instructions used
for
> character manipulation. In fact this is probably the origin for the
> six character namelength limit in FORTRAN IV : 6 chars x 6 bits = 36 bit
word.
Eric Smith wrote:
All generally correct except for the 7030 (Stretch). Stretch used
variable-length fields from 1 to 64 bits, and its native character set used 8
bits. The integer arithmetic instructions, however, were specificially
designed to be useful on character data types from 4 to 8 bits.
http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/retrocomputing/stretch/
>>
It seems I got these IBM model numbers confused. I think I meant the
7040 (and of course we can go back to the earlier tube computers, 704 and
709).
Eric, you seem to have quite some info on the Stretch; do you have any
source of (original or other doc) on this or the other early IBM computers ?
There is of course the book by Bashe et al, but I find it difficult to
locate more info.
John G. Zabolitzky
On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 Chuck McManis <cmcmanis(a)mcmanis.com> wrote:
<snip>
>As this list is full of folks who've dealt with the 'ravages of time' on
>their collections, I was looking for things to protect against.
My first thought was the pulling the battery, but someone mentioned that.
That leads to another notion that I don't recall anybody mentioning.
Assuming we solve all the 'ravages of time' issues, then we need to think
about another issue. As an ornery question, should we not pack along with
the machine a stone tablet? Engraved on the tablet is the following:
"This computer and operating system are not Y2.1K compliant!"
With no battery, the machine is going to present the date prompt. What
will happen when they enter '1-04-2100'?
On Mon 18 Jan 1999 20:40:35 Joe <rigdonj(a)intellistar.net> wrote:
> Aren't zebras bar-coded ponys?
> Not even signing my name!
My wife wants to know then what skunks are.
Mike
I'm trying to contact one of our (past?) list members who used to hang out
here. Have any of you folks in California heard where Buck is now (aka
William Buckley)?
He was rather interested in a bunch of DEC gear that I have in my garage
for his museum he said he was putting together. We had been emailing each
other up 'til middle of December but now I don't get any replies. My email
doesn't bounce ("Buck Savage" <hhacker(a)gte.net>).
I need to move this DEC stuff ASAP.
Thanks for all your help gang!
Regards, Chris
-- --
Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
Jamestown, NY USA cfandt(a)netsync.net
Member of Antique Wireless Association
URL: http://www.ggw.org/freenet/a/awa/
It was definitely aluminum. The paint was chipping off in a few places, and
it definitely weighed a good pound or more than my Tandy 1800. Could it
have been a model that GRiD made for another company (as the label on the
bottom stated)?
--
-Jason Willgruber
(roblwill(a)usaor.net)
ICQ#: 1730318
<http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
-----Original Message-----
From: Doug <doug(a)blinkenlights.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Tuesday, January 19, 1999 3:14 PM
Subject: Re: Re[2]: GRID LAPTOP
>Pass! Those are not TRuE GRiDs! And they have plastic cases, AFAIK.
>Some later GRiD-labeled products were not made by GRiD, including the one
>you've mentioned. Others include the 2390 (designed by GRiD, made by
>Casio), and the 2050 (made by Samsung, I think).
>
>-- Doug
>
>
I remember once seeing a GRiD 386 laptop that looked _exactly_ like a Tandy
3800, but was made of the aluminum alloy, was white, and said on the top
case that it was Panasonic (I think. The top cover was labeled with
something other than GRiD or Tandy). The bottom label said "manufactured
for {Company X} by GRiD".
Anyone ever hear of something like this? I was going to pick one up, but
they wanted $300 for one.
--
-Jason Willgruber
(roblwill(a)usaor.net)
ICQ#: 1730318
<http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
-----Original Message-----
From: Doug <doug(a)blinkenlights.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Tuesday, January 19, 1999 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: Re[2]: GRID LAPTOP
>On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Marty wrote:
>
>> Were all the Grids in a metal case with bubble memory?
>
>No, only the earlier Compass and Compass II models, but there were several
>different models. (And the metal case is a magnesium alloy.)
>
>-- Doug
>
>
______________________________ Reply Separator
_________________________________
Subject: Re: GRID LAPTOP
Author: classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu at internet
Date: 1/19/99 5:56 PM
At 04:30 PM 1/19/99 -0500, you wrote:
> While out junking at lunch I met a gent who said he has a Grid Laptop
> with a metal case (he said this model went to the moon) and uses
> bubble memory. He said he'd entertain selling it but I've no idea what
> to offer. Any ideas on what to offer or any info on this laptop? I'd
> appreciate and info.
Could be any one of several models. If it really uses Bubble Memory, it's
probably a Compass (model 11xx). That, I'd pay a bit of money for, maybe
as much as $50 if it's working. More likely, it's a GRiDCase and maybe
worth $20 at most. If, on the other hand, it's a Convertible (2260 or
2270), you're talking real money again; I'd pay $100 for a 2270.
>>The one that was used on the shuttle (I don't think the shuttle ever
>>landed on the moon?) was (iirc) the GRiDPad 19xx, see my other message
>>about those.
All those years of killing brain cells are finally catching up to me.
It's been a rough day and I wasn't thinking. Thanks for the info. I
don't really need another pc but you know how that goes....
If it turns out to be a 1535 (or other model with both the Gas Plasma
screen and battery power), let Derek Peschel know; he's been looking for
one for a while. (I have been trying to find one unsuccessfully for him.)
Aside from the bubble memory and the magnesium case, btw, the Compass was
the first of the clamshell style computers. Beat the Gavilan by half a
year at least.
(And no, the Gavilan wasn't the second clamshell either.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------- O-
Uncle Roger "There is pleasure pure in being mad
roger(a)sinasohn.com that none but madmen know."
Roger Louis Sinasohn & Associates
San Francisco, California http://www.sinasohn.com/
------ Message Header Follows ------
Received: from lists3.u.washington.edu by smtp.itgonline.com
(PostalUnion/SMTP(tm) v2.1.9i(b5) for Windows NT(tm))
id AA-1999Jan19.175615.1767.93725; Tue, 19 Jan 1999 17:56:16 -0500
Received: from host (lists.u.washington.edu [140.142.56.13])
by lists3.u.washington.edu (8.8.4+UW97.07/8.8.4+UW98.06) with SMTP
id OAA16070; Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:52:46 -0800
Received: from mxu4.u.washington.edu (mxu4.u.washington.edu [140.142.33.8])
by lists.u.washington.edu (8.9.1+UW98.09/8.9.1+UW98.09) with ESMTP id OAA2
4602
for <classiccmp(a)lists.u.washington.edu>; Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:52:40 -0800
Received: from uxl.longs.com (uxl.longs.com [199.108.9.10])
by mxu4.u.washington.edu (8.9.2+UW99.01/8.9.2+UW99.01) with ESMTP id OAA31
551
for <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>; Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:52:39 -0800 (PST)
Received: from sinasohn ([10.24.180.117]) by axh.longs.com
(Netscape Messaging Server 3.6) with SMTP id AAAFFA4
for <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>;
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:50:14 -0800
Message-Id: <3.0.16.19990119145248.2a7f1538(a)ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:53:14 -0800
Reply-To: classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu
Sender: CLASSICCMP-owner(a)u.washington.edu
Precedence: bulk
From: Uncle Roger <sinasohn(a)ricochet.net>
To: "Discussion re-collecting of classic computers"
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: GRID LAPTOP
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: sinasohn(a)ricochet.net
X-Listprocessor-Version: 8.1 beta -- ListProcessor(tm) by CREN
Were all the Grids in a metal case with bubble memory?
______________________________ Reply Separator
_________________________________
Subject: Re: GRID LAPTOP
Author: classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu at internet
Date: 1/19/99 4:53 PM
On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Marty wrote:
> While out junking at lunch I met a gent who said he has a Grid Laptop
> with a metal case (he said this model went to the moon) and uses
> bubble memory. He said he'd entertain selling it but I've no idea what
> to offer. Any ideas on what to offer or any info on this laptop? I'd
> appreciate and info.
The first GRiD was made in 1982, and I don't think we've been to the moon
since a bit before that. However, several models of GRiDs were used in
the space shuttle. Find out which model it is, first. The early models
are pretty hard to find (I think less than 10,000 were made).
If you're thinking of paying Real Money (TM), let me sell you one of mine!
-- Doug
------ Message Header Follows ------
Received: from lists2.u.washington.edu by smtp.itgonline.com
(PostalUnion/SMTP(tm) v2.1.9i(b5) for Windows NT(tm))
id AA-1999Jan19.165321.1767.93695; Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:53:22 -0500
Received: from host (lists.u.washington.edu [140.142.56.13])
by lists2.u.washington.edu (8.8.4+UW97.07/8.8.4+UW98.06) with SMTP
id NAA03303; Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:50:59 -0800
Received: from mxu2.u.washington.edu (mxu2.u.washington.edu [140.142.32.9])
by lists.u.washington.edu (8.9.1+UW98.09/8.9.1+UW98.09) with ESMTP id NAA1
2986
for <classiccmp(a)lists.u.washington.edu>; Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:50:51 -0800
Received: from genco.haggle.com (IDENT:doug@genco.haggle.com [209.49.57.4])
by mxu2.u.washington.edu (8.9.2+UW99.01/8.9.2+UW99.01) with ESMTP id NAA27
201
for <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>; Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:50:50 -0800 (PST)
Received: from localhost (doug@localhost)
by genco.haggle.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id QAA26623
for <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>; Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:50:40 -0500
Message-Id: <Pine.LNX.3.95.990119164647.22135D-100000(a)genco.haggle.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:50:40 -0500 (EST)
Reply-To: classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu
Sender: CLASSICCMP-owner(a)u.washington.edu
Precedence: bulk
From: Doug <doug(a)blinkenlights.com>
To: "Discussion re-collecting of classic computers"
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: GRID LAPTOP
In-Reply-To: <1999Jan19.162855.1767.182582(a)smtp.itgonline.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
X-To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
X-Sender: doug(a)genco.haggle.com
X-Listprocessor-Version: 8.1 beta -- ListProcessor(tm) by CREN