At 10:27 PM 1/15/99 -0600, you wrote:
>> Are Osbornes really that much harder to find than Kaypros? eBay currently
>> seems awash in Kaypros for under $30...
>
>Both machines were very popular in their time and have no collector value
>beyond whatever sentimental value they have for you.
Well, I currently wouldn't pay for an Osborne 1 or executive, (except maybe
a few dollars for a tan 1,) but I would pay for a Vixen or Encore. I would
pay a bit for various Kaypros, but probably not as much as it would cost to
ship one.
My reasoning is that I have a lot of O1's and a few Execs, but only a KII.
I think other people's reasoning is that a lot more people know about the
O1 than the Kaypro, so that gets more interest/higher perceived value.
Meanwhile, no one's ever heard of a Zorba, so I don't know why the two I've
heard about sold for over $100.
--------------------------------------------------------------------- O-
Uncle Roger "There is pleasure pure in being mad
roger(a)sinasohn.com that none but madmen know."
Roger Louis Sinasohn & Associates
San Francisco, California http://www.sinasohn.com/
______________________________ Reply Separator
_________________________________
Subject: Re: RANT Re: PDP-8 on e-bay
Author: classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu at internet
Date: 1/20/99 5:55 PM
On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Chuck McManis wrote:
> their teeth" on Sun machines who will be flush with cash, it would not
> suprise me in the least if you could get $10,000 for it in 5 to 7 years.
> (Others might tell you that selling it for more than $50 + postage is a
> crime against nature but don't listen to 'em)
Ack! Don't say that!
>>Listen to the reasonable people: $50 + postage is more than fair :)
As usual, Sam is the voice of reason. PLEASE listen to Sam and sell me
one of these.
Marty
Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar(a)siconic.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always being hassled by the man.
Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
[Last web site update: 01/15/99]
------ Message Header Follows ------
Received: from lists3.u.washington.edu by smtp.itgonline.com
(PostalUnion/SMTP(tm) v2.1.9i(b5) for Windows NT(tm))
id AA-1999Jan20.175526.1767.94090; Wed, 20 Jan 1999 17:55:27 -0500
Received: from host (lists.u.washington.edu [140.142.56.13])
by lists3.u.washington.edu (8.8.4+UW97.07/8.8.4+UW98.06) with SMTP
id OAA09870; Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:53:05 -0800
Received: from mxu1.u.washington.edu (mxu1.u.washington.edu [140.142.32.8])
by lists.u.washington.edu (8.9.1+UW98.09/8.9.1+UW98.09) with ESMTP id OAA2
8474
for <classiccmp(a)lists.u.washington.edu>; Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:53:00 -0800
Received: from smtp1.ncal.verio.com (smtp1.ncal.verio.com [204.247.247.82])
by mxu1.u.washington.edu (8.9.2+UW99.01/8.9.2+UW99.01) with ESMTP id OAA01
861
for <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>; Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:52:59 -0800 (PST)
Received: from shell1-n1 (dastar(a)shell1.ncal.verio.com [204.247.248.254])
by smtp1.ncal.verio.com (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id OAA27340
for <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>; Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:52:59 -0800 (PST)
Message-Id: <Pine.GSO.4.05.9901201451310.12444-100000(a)shell1.ncal.verio.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:52:58 -0800 (PST)
Reply-To: classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu
Sender: CLASSICCMP-owner(a)u.washington.edu
Precedence: bulk
From: Sam Ismail <dastar(a)ncal.verio.com>
To: "Discussion re-collecting of classic computers"
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: RANT Re: PDP-8 on e-bay
In-Reply-To: <4.1.19990120143043.00af6720(a)mailhost.hq.freegate.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
X-To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
X-Listprocessor-Version: 8.1 beta -- ListProcessor(tm) by CREN
Hello!
I thought this would be the best place to ask about a PERFEX machine... I am
wandering what it is??? I have searched everywhere else and I found some
info that says its a Computer that helps
in Diagnosis of Heart problems.. ??? But this thing is not at all like the
one they explain..
Any info??
Thanx
Michael Sunbear(*)
You might look at the Charles Babbage Institute
http://www.cbi.umn.edu
They have a lot of stuff and are willing to copy at $.25 per page.
John G. Zabolitzky
I'm in search of several manuals for some Motorola MVME boards I have.
Please reply if you have any available for me to purchase.
MVME 236-1,2,3 (Publication number MVME 236-1 Dx )
MVME 133-1 ( " " MVME 133-1 Dx )
Support Docs: SIMVME133-1
MVME 134 ( " " MVME 134 Dx )
Support Docs: SIMVME134
and finally the Support Documentation (schematics, etc.) for an
MVME147S which is publication number SIMVME147S.
Thanks for your help!
Regards, Chris
-- --
Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
Jamestown, NY USA cfandt(a)netsync.net
Member of Antique Wireless Association
URL: http://www.ggw.org/freenet/a/awa/
Anyone know a good source for bulk crimp pins used in the Amphenol (and
other brand) twinaxial connectors used in networks? I need to get a
handful for the inevitable repairs that come up at work and a few cents
each for two pins and recutting the coax is better than $8 and up for
each for a new connector set, just to use the pins.
Thanks for any leads you might have.
Does anybody know what happened to Anthony Clifton
(Wirehead Prime)? I was going to buy his OSI. He
hasn't replied to any of my email or posted to
classiccmp since before Christmas.
Bill Sudbrink
Hi Mark,
If the Mac 128 is still available, I'm interested. I'm located in the
Washington, D.C. metro area. I have a number of appliance (home
computers) plus some Apples (II+, IIe's) available. I will post a list
to the members of Clasiccmp of what I'm excessing sometime this month.
marty(a)itgonline.com
______________________________ Reply Separator
_________________________________
Subject: Classic Home Console Computers to Trade/Sell/Buy
Author: classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu at internet
Date: 1/15/99 7:05 AM
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this list. I've been collecting classic home console computers
for about two years now and have some items to trade and some things I'm
looking for (either trade or buy). You can check out my collection on my
website at http://www.markrandall.com.
Regards,
Mark Randall
Play Incorporated
======================
Classic Computers To Trade:
======================
Apple IIGS (full system with monitor/printer)
Compaq Portable (original)
IBM PC Jr.
KayPro II
KayPro IV
Macintosh 128 (original)
Radio Shack Color Computer
Texas Instruments 99/4A
=================================
Computers I'm Looking to Buy / Trade For:
(Console Home Computers Only)
=================================
Acorn BBC Micro
Acorn Electron
Amstrad CPC 6128
Amstrad CPC 664
Atari 65XE
Atari 520ST
Camputers Lynx
Canon V-20 MSX
Dragon 32
EACA Colour Genie
EACA Video Genie 3003 (AKA System-80 / PMC 80)
Exidy Sorcerer
Franklin ACE 1200
Interact Model One
Jupiter ACE
Mattel Aquarius
Memotek MTX 500/512 (or RS128)
Oric 1
Oric Atmos
Panasonic JR-200U
Personal Micro Computer PMC 81
Phillips Videopac
Salora Fellow
Sharp MZ800 (MZ821)
Sinclair QL
Sinclair Spectrum
Sinclair Spectrum +
Sinclair Spectrum +2 / +2A / +3
SpectraVideo SVI 328
Sony HitBit
Sord M5
Timex Sinclair 1500
Timex Sinclair 2068
Toshiba HX-10
Toshiba T100
Video Technology Laser Compact XT
Video Technology VZ200
===============================
Computers Currently In My Collection
(Pictures at http://www.markrandall.com)
===============================
Amiga 500
Amiga 600
Amiga 1200
Amstrad 464 CPC
Atari 400
Atari 800
Atari 600XL
Atari 800XL
Atari 1200XL
Atari 130XE
Atari 1040 ST
Apple II
Apple IIc
Commodore 16
Commodore Plus/4
Commodore 64
Commodore 128
Commodore VIC 20
Laser 128
Radio Shack Color Computer
Radio Shack Micro Color Computer (MC-10)
Radio Shack Color Computer II (low rise keyboard)
Radio Shack Color Computer II (high rise keyboard)
Radio Shack Color Computer III
Radio Shack Model 1
Sinclair ZX80
Sinclair ZX81
Tano Dragon 64
Texas Instruments 99/4A (gray/silver)
Texas Instruments 99/4A (beige)
Timex Sinclair 1000
------ Message Header Follows ------
Received: from lists5.u.washington.edu by smtp.itgonline.com
(PostalUnion/SMTP(tm) v2.1.9i(b5) for Windows NT(tm))
id AA-1999Jan15.070554.1767.92508; Fri, 15 Jan 1999 07:05:55 -0500
Received: from host (lists.u.washington.edu [140.142.56.13])
by lists5.u.washington.edu (8.8.4+UW97.07/8.8.4+UW98.06) with SMTP
id EAA10867; Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:56 -0800
Received: from mxu3.u.washington.edu (mxu3.u.washington.edu [140.142.33.7])
by lists.u.washington.edu (8.9.1+UW98.09/8.9.1+UW98.09) with ESMTP id EAA2
3376
for <classiccmp(a)lists.u.washington.edu>; Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:47 -0800
Received: from mail.calweb.com (mail.calweb.com [208.131.56.12])
by mxu3.u.washington.edu (8.9.2+UW99.01/8.9.2+UW99.01) with ESMTP id EAA06
415
for <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>; Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:46 -0800 (PST)
Received: by mail.calweb.com (8.8.6/8.8.6) with SMTP id EAA00119
for <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>; Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:45 -0800 (PST)
Message-Id: <000d01be407f$37c600a0$ef5dd3cf(a)markr.calweb.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:04:35 -0800
Reply-To: classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu
Sender: CLASSICCMP-owner(a)u.washington.edu
Precedence: bulk
From: "Mark Randall" <markr(a)play.com>
To: "Discussion re-collecting of classic computers"
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Subject: Classic Home Console Computers to Trade/Sell/Buy
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-To: <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
X-SMTP: helo markr from markr(a)play.com server @sac13-239.calweb.com ip
207.211.93.239 user=markr
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3110.3
X-Listprocessor-Version: 8.1 beta -- ListProcessor(tm) by CREN
> Subject: PDP-8 on e-bay
>Don't know what the reserve is. The same guy also has a SOL and a Rainbow
for sale.
I just found out... $900. :-)
I actually work just down the hall from Gordon Bell... if he can't help me
get it working, then probably no one can... :-)
- Joe
----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Robertson <steverob(a)hotoffice.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 1999 8:15 AM
Subject: PDP-8 on e-bay
>http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=58405239
>
>Don't know what the reserve is. The same guy also has a SOL and a Rainbow
for sale.
>
>Regards,
>
>Steve Robertson - QA Team Leader <steverob(a)hotoffice.com>
>HotOffice Technologies, Inc. <http://www.hotoffice.com>
>Phone: +1.561.995.0005 x228 Fax: +1.561.995.5990
>
>HotOffice - The World's First Online Virtual Office Service
>
>
<Slower clock speeds. This means that you literally can have a plug in
<upgrade. You could also make one with a larger micron process and more
<vertical and not worry about heating, but that gets to be bone headed. A
<better idea would be to learn from competitors, and start making a more
<economical way of producing chips.
Your way off. First off intel is the process leader. But when you require
everything to be 16bits wide like memory, address latches, byte/word logic
and other nifty things to get to 16bit wide the cost goes up for the system.
the cost to produce the 8088 and the 8086 was nearly the same save for the
8088 was cheaper due to volumes and not technology.
<But I see your point... but remember, before being used on the IBM PC the
<8088 had been on the market for 3 years, and probably in OEM's hands a yea
<before that.
very true. I was running a 8086/8mhz Multibus based system with 512k of
ram and a 5mb hard disk and 1mb 8" floppies when the IBM PC was introduced.
Needless to say I was appalled at it's terminally poor performance.
<>The 386?
<
<Lower clock speeds... kind of a all-solving solution.
Not hardly.
<>The 486?
<
<The 486 was just plain dumb. You didn't really need a 486SX at all. You
<could keep on making a 386, but Intel was afraid of AMD catching up to the
<(with their 40MHz 386's and all). You could have also made a 386 to go in
<a 486 socket.
nope. The 486 executed instruction in fewer cycles and had several
features that made it faster internally for the same clock speed as a 386.
<>The Pentium II?
<
<The Celeron was actually a pretty good idea, too good. They should have
<made the 128K cache at half clock speed like in the PII. A Celeron 333
<will perform better than a PII 300 in the same system, and you can
<overclock the Celeron to compete with almost all Intel processors.
the celeron is a pentium! it's more integrated with the onboard cache
but it's also a fixed configuration so expanding it is harder.
<Well, they did have a lot of proffessionals a lot smarter than I am workin
<on the problem, and I'm willing to bet they had good ideas, but may have
<been shot down somewhere between 'cost' and 'competion'.
Also they were trying to get the x86 into the other non PC markets.
<I'll say that I don't really like it, and that we could have done much
<better. MIPS, SPARC, Alpha, all better than x86, and if they had
<competition like the x86 market does, then it'd be a good assumption to
<guess that the cost might even be halfed and performance considerably faste
The dynamics of the microprocessor market is more complex than you think.
If MIPS was so good it would ahve pushed out x86. Alpha is a 64bit cpu
targetted at high end systems and the MicroVAX (32bit) was already well
established and faster than 386/486.
<Well, I'm glad that Merced means the end to this lousy architecture. It
<wasn't until this year that we began seriouly getting rid of ISA, which,
<aside from going from 8 to 16 bit, hasn't changed all that much since the
<days of the XT. Note this is good for the collector side of me, but very
<bad for the 'innovative, creative, etc.' side of me.
Yep! Now all your boards don't work in the new machine and most of the
older PCI ones don't behave either.
What will merced run... pentium emulator so there is software for it.
Allison