At 02:56 PM 1/19/99 -0800, you wrote:
>::Meanwhile, no one's ever heard of a Zorba, so I don't know why the two I've
>::heard about sold for over $100.
>
>Okay, I'll bite: what's a Zorba?
Suitcase luggable, CP/M, much like the Kaypro. The company that made the
Zorba was supposedly coming out with another model, but I don't know if
they ever did.
--------------------------------------------------------------------- O-
Uncle Roger "There is pleasure pure in being mad
roger(a)sinasohn.com that none but madmen know."
Roger Louis Sinasohn & Associates
San Francisco, California http://www.sinasohn.com/
E-bay: Protectionism or laissez-faire... an old, old debate.
I personally *hate* e-bay for No Good Reason, and choose not to
participate... not the least Bad Reason of which is my own financial
health. I buy enough Stuff via the Net as it is. But that's just Me.
Philsophically... E-bay is Capitalistic and Darwinistic. One can
rail against the concept or embrace it. C'est la Vie.
I spent some years in the Electronic/Aerospace surplus business,
and I have been in thousands of auctions of every type.
It's like This: Ya win some, an' Ya lose some.
I know exactly, precisely how it is to have counted every penny
one has to put on something Really Really desireable, only to be
outdone at the last moment by some schmuck with deeper pockets. And
of course, I've been that schmuck, too.
E-bay is a 'public' forum, ie. access is not restricted. This is a
'private' list (sorta), and is (lightly) regulated; I am violating
those regs right now.
What the crux of Dougs' and Marvin's contretemps [where's all this
Francais coming from...?] is the Morality of providing a 'heads-up'
to this List of an item on e-bay which might be of interest to one
or more listmembers.
My tuppence: If I find a nice juicy PDP-11 system for sale, I will
either buy it myself, and crow about it here afterwards, or pass on it
and announce it here for others to consider. Then, IMHO, the same
situation obtains: someone will be successful and the others will be
dissappointed. C'est la Vie X2. I see no difference if the Item is
languishing on a lonely loading dock or represented on a public
auction forum.
Private Note to Doug and Marv: Could you please patch this up
prior to TRW Saturday (the 30th)??? I'm buying lunch for everyone
in the group (after the T-hunt) and I'd like to eat peacefully...
----> ;} <-----
Cheerz
John
I don't know if it's on topic but I got back my bid report from Berman and
some folks have asked me to record the prices so here they are: (Berman ==
www.berman.com)
A pallet of four NeXT cubes w/Monitors and drives $325
A pallet of Tektronix plugins $297
An SGI Crimson Server $210
A Sun 4/330 (Dual CPU) Server $60
A set of three SparcStation IIs $501
A complete Mac IIci (printer, monitor the works) $70
Cheers,
--Chuck
ard(a)p850ug1.demon.co.uk (Tony Duell) wrote:
> > I found two Corvus Systems PC Bus Transporter cards that fit 8 bit ISA
> > slot. I don't need them. Anyone can have them for the cost of shipping.
>
> If anyone ends up with these, I spent a bit of time hacking around on
> Transputers (including making a hand-wired transputer board) and I have a
> shelf of docs for them.
Tony is probably realizing his case of classiccmp aphasia right now,
but Transporter != Transputer. The Corvus Transporter cards are
Omninet interfaces, and if they have CPUs on them they are probably
8-bit 680x.
-Frank McConnell
I found a box of old computer stuff today. I didn't think it was much till
I cleaned it up and looked at it. Boy, appearances can be deceiving!
Here's what I got:
Qume Sprint 9/45 and 9/55 terminal service manual, operator's
instruction manual and intefacing information.
THREE BRAND NEW WordStar 3.0 packages with disks and manuals in the
original MicroPro binders.
THREE BRAND NEW SuperSort 1.6 packages with disks and manuals in the
original MicroPro binders.
One BRAND NEW CalcStar 1.2 package with disk and manual in the original
MicroPro binder.
THREE BRAND NEW SpellStar 1.2 packages with disks and manuals in the
original plastic bag from MicroPro.
THREE BRAND NEW MailMerge 3.0 packages with disks and manuals in the
original plastic bag from MicroPro.
One brand new package of WorkSheet Wizard with disk and manual in the
original plastic bag. The docs for this one state that it's for a North
Star Advantage.
The manuals HINT that all of this is for a CPM system. All the disks
are hard sectored 5 1/4" disk with 11 index/sector holes.
Q: What system other than North Star used hard sectored 10 sector disks?
Joe
In a message dated 1/21/99 1:23:18 PM EST, jpero(a)cgocable.net writes:
> I just finally got around to borrow a TTL monitor and tried out the RT
> 6151. It did boot off the disk but one thing I have problem with this
> is rapidly blinking "99" even the keyboard lock is in unlocked
> position. That happened when booting off the diskette I have here.
>
> Checked the microswitch all the way to the motherboard connector
> end. It's ok!
>
> Thanks!
somewhere in command central i have a list of all the checkpoint codes for the
RT but i cannot find it right now. 99 means missing boot files IIRC.
david
>I hate to bring this up again, but has anyone seen the present bid compared
to the
>start bid, and where the high bidder is from, Association for Computing
Machinery
>(acm.org)?? I must have missed the original thread on this but it seems a
bit high
>for a :kind of beat up and working condition unknown" machine. How "rare"
are the
>PDP-8's Seems I see a lot of traffic about them here, they can't be *that*
rare.
I'm joebar(a)acm.org. I know, I'm stupid, but it was just sort of an
impulse kind of thing.
I don't know what the start bid was, but I just somehow entered a
bid a little higher than the reserve. I was thinking, "how much did I
spend last year on that dumb P5-166 box", and used that as a
figure, given that the PDP-8 undoubtably has greater long term
value than the P5-166. (Isn't rationalization wonderful? :-)
- Joe
The keyboard encoder in the Heath H-19 terminals (also the Zenith Z-19) was a National Semiconductor part. It was discontinued in late 1981 or 82, while the terminal was still in production. Heath bought tens of thousands of them in a "last time buy" both for ongoing production and for future service. I don't know the current availability of this item from Heath (Heath does still exist, and does sell SOME parts), but it hasn't been available from National for a decade and a half. It WAS a generic part at the time. Note that every H/Z - 89/90 has an imbedded H/Z-19 terminal and therefore uses this part.
I'm not sure of this, but I think that the ROM was required because the encoder only generated a "key number" and not ASCII, and it wasn't easily possible to arrange the keys for the key number to correspond to the ASCII value (Carl Goy was the designer, and he's still around out in California somewhere, he worked for Mouse Systems and Headland Technology after leaving Heath).
I know all of this because for 5 years I was the Product Line Director for the entire Heath/Zenith computer line.
Barry Watzman
Ok... add 'lying' to conniving sniviling wheez...
From: Marvin <marvin(a)rain.org>
>On the other side of that coin, if I were trying to attempt to gain a
>fortune in computers now, I would do everything I could to stop the free
>flow of information.
I guess by this, you mean buying computers now?
And, the free flow of that information would never make it into this
backwater tributary were it not for the duct system you've implemented.
ok, ok... I know... enough..
- Mike:dogas@leading.net