>> > I've tried contacting the lastest version of CDC and they offer no
help
>> > whatsoever. Even refused to allow me to release copies of any of
their
>> > old manuals "for liability reasons." (don't get me started!)
>>
>> That makes me sooo mad....
>
> It makes me mad as well.
>
> Does anyone know a friendly lawyer? Is there any form of legal wording
> that can be used so that the company can't _possibly_ be held liable for
> anything? If not, then there needs to be ;-)
If it were true, there'd be some point to your suggestion.
Unfortunately I fear it is just an excuse, and the real reason is "can't be
bothered". In which case your suggestion wouldn't help.
Apathy is very powerful.
(BTW, "What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?" "I don't know
and I don't care.")
Philip.
-----Original Message-----
From: Joe <rigdonj(a)intellistar.net>
>At 10:01 AM 1/21/99 -0800, Marvin wrote:
>>
>>At any rate, I choose not to participate further in these discussions
about
>>the "morality" of posting to this list items for sale on ebay as they are
>>pointless and do nothing to *promote* this hobby. I will continue to post
>>items that *I* think might be interesting to members of this list.
>>
>
> Yes, please do! I like to look at a lot of the E-bay items even if I
>don't care to bid on them or spent time searching E-bay for them.
>
> Joe
If I'm not mistaken, this can be done for up to 30 days *after* an auction
as well you laggard....
Heh...
Mike: dogas(a)leading.net
-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Turnbull <pete(a)dunnington.u-net.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Friday, 22 January 1999 20:28
Subject: Re: Reiability of wrong media (was: is out of 5-1/4" diskettes
>As Megan pointed out, the maths is wrong. A "1.44MB" disk has 80
>cylinders, two sides, 18 sectors per track, sector size 512 bytes.
>
>80 * 2 * 18 * 512 = 80 * 18 * 1024 = 1440KB
>
>That's where the "1.44" number comes from.
>
>And a Megabyte is normally held to be 1024 * 1024 (megabyte would, I agree,
>be different, 1000 * 1000). But "1.44MB" refers to 1.44 * 1000 * 1024,
>which is a ridiculous way to count. 1440KB = 1.406MB.
I always thought there were things about IBM that just didn't add up.
(Sorry, couldn't resist it.)
Cheers
Geoff Roberts
Computer Room Internet Cafe
Port Pirie
South Australia.
netcafe(a)pirie.mtx.net.au
"Zane H. Healy" <healyzh(a)aracnet.com> wrote:
>Stupid question: I'm trying to install TCP/IP on my PDP-11/73 running
>RT-11 V5.4 and am trying to choose the proper driver. Does the PDP-11/73
>CPU have a Processor Status Word?
The 11/73 is the KDJ11-A, based on the DCJ11 chip, which has a
processor status word at 17777776.
It also just so happens that (at least for all the DEC pdp-11s) a
machine with memory management also has a processor status word.
>Also, if you've got a driver for TSX-11 do you have to have corresponding
>driver for RT-11 installed?
Not that I know of. The TSX versions of the drivers are the RT-11
versions rebuilt to use PAR6 instead of PAR1 for access to user
buffers, et al. Same documented restrictions of PAR1 use in the
RT-11 doc set would then apply to PAR6 when using the drivers under
TSX...
Megan Gentry
Former RT-11 Developer
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '@' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
-----Original Message-----
From: John Foust <jfoust(a)threedee.com>
>So I guess the problem is that Information Wants To Be Free, and the
>Internet Will Liberate Us, and Shopping Online is Phun, and all that,
>except when its efficiency seems to work against you. Look on the
>bright side: if it weren't for the Net, eBay and this list, fewer
>people would be offering these sorts of goods, and most of us would
>never hear about them.
Maybe... One of the cool components of the hobby is FINDING the bargain.
These announcements do nothing but raise the prices eventually paid for
these items. I guess that makes sense if your already sitting on a cache of
Altairs and 5100s and are happily watching prices go through the roof. I'd
do everything I could to help that little market develop...
And *anyone* who's not afraid of the stale breath of satan can go to ebay
and search for 'old computers'.
Ok, I promise to say no more on this subject... wait.... Anyone see these
pictures of Marvin's wife at http:\\...
*just kidding* ;)
- Mike: dogas(a)leading.net
At 09:23 PM 1/21/99 -0000, you wrote:
>exclude all IBM-compatible x86 systems, but there are some people that
Well, the average say, post-85 desktop PC, I would heartily agree with.
Some, however, especially portables, do have some innovations/freakishness.
Like the Sharp portable I mentioned, or the Gavilan, Compass, etc.
I will break with my above comments long enough to say that if I had lots
of storage space, it would be really cool to get a PC's Limited pc...
--------------------------------------------------------------------- O-
Uncle Roger "There is pleasure pure in being mad
roger(a)sinasohn.com that none but madmen know."
Roger Louis Sinasohn & Associates
San Francisco, California http://www.sinasohn.com/
On Jan 22, 1:30, Tony Duell wrote:
> > This can't be possible! Otherwise, why didn't someone exploit this to
> > make 4-sided diskettes??
>
> Because you don't gain any extra storage. Pete formated every other track
> on the disk using an 80-track drive (narrow heads). So in the end he had
> 80 tracks on each side (40 going in each direction). Since an 80 track
> drive can write 80 tracks anyway, there's no advantage in flipping the
> disk over.
Almost exactly. Actually, it was an accident. It was obviously a 40-track
flippy to start with, and at some time in the dim and distant past I must
have decided to use it "properly", two-sided. But only the second side had
been formatted in the flipped orientation, so although it was 40+40=80
tracks on one side it was only 40 on the other.
--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Dept. of Computer Science
University of York
>
>I have the H-17. What is the H-37 as I don't recognize it by that number?
>I have other two cases, one with dual full height 5 1/4" drives and the
>other with dual 8" drives, but I don't know the model number at the moment.
The one with the 8" are the H27, I think...
- Mike: dogas(a)leading.net
While out junking at lunch I met a gent who said he has a Grid Laptop
with a metal case (he said this model went to the moon) and uses
bubble memory. He said he'd entertain selling it but I've no idea what
to offer. Any ideas on what to offer or any info on this laptop? I'd
appreciate and info.
Thanks,
Marty
marty(a)itgonline.com