It seems to me that the 802 was a televideo terminal with an integrated
workstation. These worked in conjunction with a server unit to run an OS
called MOST, I believe, and I have a couple of the server units, the number
of which will occur to me when I look at one again.
These were fairly late technology, using 64k DRAMS and a 4MHz Z80A. The
servers had four or five serial ports using Z80 SIO's and either 10 or 20
MB winchesters to go with their 5-1/4" floppies. They used the
WD1000-series HDC, which used an 8X300 microcontroller (I2L technology,
Harvard architecture) and the WD1000 5-chip set. I always admired the
packaging technology, which was first rate.
I have to believe the workstations were up to the same standard in
convenient packaging. Televideo was late getting into the desktop
workstation market, but did it in a big way with these numbers, as they had
all you could want. The OS was purported, by some users I knew, to be
quite a bit superior to MPM, which was quite established at that time (late
'70's, early '80's).
If anyone is interested in the server units, I can make them available,
less drives, and possibly a couple of SIO/2's which I scavenged years ago,
for the packaging/shipping cost.
Dick
----------
> From: Joe <rigdonj(a)intellistar.net>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Televideo 802 computer?
> Date: Tuesday, January 26, 1999 2:35 AM
>
> Does anyone have one of these? I found a manual for one of these
yesterday
> and it looks pretty cool.
>
> Joe
><RANT> There ain't no sech thing as a 1.44M disk. The IBM style of HD
>3.5has 2 sides, 80 tracks per side, 18 sectors per track, and 512 bytes
>per sector. If you multiply that out, you get 1.406 HONEST Megabytes
>(1048576). The only way to get 1.44 out of that is to creatively
>redefine a Megabyte to be 1024000 bytes. That leaves IBM in the position
>of claiming that a megabyte of memory is 1048576 bytes, but that a
>megabyte of disk space is 1024000 bytes! If IBM ran a donut shop, how
>many donuts would there be in a dozen??? </RANT>
Hmm... then why does a chkdsk a: on a '1.44' drive and disk return
the following:
- - - - -
1,457,664 bytes total disk space
512 bytes in 1 directories
1,185,792 bytes in 20 user files
271,360 bytes available on disk
512 bytes in each allocation unit
2,847 total allocation units on disk
530 available allocation units on disk
- - - - -
You had better check *your* math!
2 * 80 * 18 * 512 = 1474560
Sure looks like at least 1.44 Mb to me!
Megan Gentry
Former RT-11 Developer
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '@' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
I've got a couple of old IMSAI parallel interface cards, one with two
8255's on it and one with 8 8212's and a bunch of LED's. WOuld anyone have
information about these babies? I've had them on the shelf for about
fifteen years, thinking I might actually use them for something but have
never bothered. I believe I even once had the schematic of the 8255 board,
which has two 50-pin edge connectors with the I/O signals and a 26-pin
between them which apparently bears some of the control signals from the
bus. Unfortunately, I've lost track of the doc's.
Anyone have information, e.g. schematics switch settings?
Dick
Fred Cisin wrote:
>The PC-JX is NOT PC-Jr.
>Although there are a few superficial similarities, and many of the same
>letters in the name, it is a different machine. Among other things, the
>JX uses a 720K 5.25" drive.
I think it must be a derivative of the PC-Jr design. With no disk in the
drives, it boots up into a 40-col screen with IBM PC Jr BASIC Version J1.00
copyright IBM with 42646 bytes free, all white letters on black background.
The initial boot screen is a multi-colour rainbow affair with 64K written at
the bottom left.
The system box has plugs at the back for keyboard, monitor, RS-232, 2
joysticks, printer, audio, cassette and light pen.
My unit has a white 5.25" drive with "360K" written on it in pen - so I
guess this is only a 360K drive, but is probably a replacement as I doubt
IBM would have clashed the colour scheme with the rest of the black system.
Phil
Hallo Hans,
----------
> From: Hans Franke <Hans.Franke(a)mch20.sbs.de>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Am I a part of history ?
> Date: Tuesday, January 26, 1999 9:23 AM
> Sorry, I didn't find any documents that matched your search for "SC/MP"
You know that the german "elektor" had a series of artikels about ?
They called him "scampy" or something similar. With board, cpu card,
keyboards ...
> P.S.: I just unpacked my SC/MP kit - Original binder, with original
> packed, still shrink warped, unassembled kit .... Herrgott I'M HAPPY :)
cheers,
emanuel
Ok you Brits - here's your chance to get a DEC PDP-11 8-)
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Low <ghb04(a)dial.pipex.com>
Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp11
Subject: PDP 11/70 Any value
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:00:45 +0000
I am finally having a clear out of my garage, amongst the stuff I have
there is
A Digital pdp11/70, including processor, 64 ports (emulex controllers)
Kennedy tape deck,
Processor has 4mb memory (Systime), there is a unibus expansion box
which contains a disk controller, and the 2 x 32 port emulex
controllers.
I dont have the disk drives (which were 2 x Fuji super eagles). I have
the software tapes, manuals etc. The sysgen listing and patches for
Rsts/e 9.3.
Is this worth out, or should I finally consign to the skip. (btw all the
above is in a systime double width cabinet.
regards,,
David Low
tel;cell:0410-804949
tel;fax:0181-527-4637
tel;work:0181-527-5544 x 4786
org:London Borough of Waltham Forest
email;internet:ghb04@dial.pipex.com
title:Business Development Manager
adr;quoted-printable:;;Room 34=0D=0ATown Hall, Forest Road;London;;E17 4JA;
------------ End Forward --------------
I also fail to see where this post is any different than talking about
Ebay 'notices'.......
BC
On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Geoff Roberts <netcafe(a)pirie.mtx.net.au> wrote:
] I personally feel the 10 year "rule" is useful as a guide, however, I also
] consider that there are several machines that rightly qualify as "Classic
] Computers" that are less than 10 years old. There is a particular "grey"
... snippage ...
Unless the list-maintainer gets active, "on-topic" is by concensus.
We all started with the ten-year rule in the sign-on message, but it
is obvious that not everybody takes that seriously.
So, since it is a matter of concensus, here is my vote.
1. Ten years is just a guideline. If something is only 9 years old,
I won't much mind hearing about it. I might even like it. But if
it is only two or three years old, there must be a surviving
users-group or something. Go find it, or start your own, but please
don't clutter up my mailbox with it.
2. Nothing PC- or Mac-compatible can ever be classic. Sorry, that's
just an indisputable fact. :-)
3. Guns, cars, schools, Star Trek, and politics are not classic computers.
(This is not to disparage people interested in those things, just to
point out that those discussions belong on other mailing lists.)
4. Simply having origins in something that is classic does not make a
thing classic. Otherwise *everything* would be classic.
5. The ten year rule should apply to the date when a thing dropped off
in popularity; if it was still in common use eight years ago, it is
not yet classic. (Justification: if it is still in common use,
there will be other places to discuss it.)
6. Do I really need to add "IMHO" here? :-)
Cheers,
Bill.
Whoops, wrong subject line last time... :-)
--------------------------
I recently acquired a DG Aviion 410 minus keyboard and mouse. Does anyone
have leads on tracking these items down?
-- Tony Eros