Hi John,
You know the mind works in weird ways.
Your message just made some of my synapes fire.
I believe you work for MGM right? I don't know if you
caught my message from a few weeks ago, but I
have a Qantel that my wife occasionally uses in our
business.
I remember hearing about 10 years ago that one
of the markets that Qantel captured early on (late 70's?)
was the intertainment industry. They used to have
applications for off the wall vertical markets (e.g.
film studios, football teams, etc).
Have you ever seen one of these in use in your
travels? I'm always surprized by what's still out
there chugging away after all of these years.
Jon
-----------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
> The Very First Computer I ever saw, in 1965, was the brand-new GE
>235 that my father's company had installed. Because he was a VP, I
>got to actually *go in the room* with all that machinery, though I
>was but 12. Of course I died right then and went straight to Heaven.
>
> My question to the List is: are there any of these GE machines
>from that era still extant? (let alone still working...)
>
> My absolute/ultimate Vintage Computer fantasy would be to have
>that old 235 up and running... just so I could *smell* it once
>more. I have never forgotten the warm smell of all that
>electronics, and the Ampex tape machines, and the printer clattering
>away....
>
>
> Sigh.
>
>
> I have pictures of the 235 and 635.... but it's not the same...
>
>
> Cheerz
>
>John
>
>
>
>
The Very First Computer I ever saw, in 1965, was the brand-new GE
235 that my father's company had installed. Because he was a VP, I
got to actually *go in the room* with all that machinery, though I
was but 12. Of course I died right then and went straight to Heaven.
My question to the List is: are there any of these GE machines
>from that era still extant? (let alone still working...)
My absolute/ultimate Vintage Computer fantasy would be to have
that old 235 up and running... just so I could *smell* it once
more. I have never forgotten the warm smell of all that
electronics, and the Ampex tape machines, and the printer clattering
away....
Sigh.
I have pictures of the 235 and 635.... but it's not the same...
Cheerz
John
Are there going to be any systems still running MULTICS in ten years?
The list at http://www.multicians.org/sites.html sure looks dire.
I don't have to tell anyone on this list how incredibly historically
important MULTICS is.
- Joe
Here's a guy wanting to sell his original MAcintosh. Please send e-mail
directly to the seller:
Mail-to: walk(a)me.unlv.edu
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 20:18:29 -0800
From: Ray Kozak <walk(a)me.unlv.edu>
Subject: Original Mac
Have an original Mac 128 with image writerII, external drive, extermal
modem and lots of software I would like to sell. Do you have any
resources I can contact to detetermine a fair price and any bbs to list
the system for sale?
Thanks
RCK
Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar(a)verio.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always being hassled by the man.
Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0!
See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details
[Last web site update: 01/15/99]
OK, sorry about this post to the list...
People having trouble contacting me please use adavie(a)comcen.com.au
The adavie(a)mad.scientist.com is a valid iname redirected address - obviously they're having some problems.
I use mad.scientist as it's cool :) and, should I change ISPs, I won't have to tell the world.
A
-----Original Message-----
From: Computer Room Internet Cafe <netcafe(a)pirie.mtx.net.au>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Friday, January 29, 1999 1:49 PM
Subject: Re: Attn: Andrew Davie-is e-mail address right?
-----Original Message-----
From: Richard A. Cini, Jr. <rcini(a)msn.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Friday, 29 January 1999 13:16
Subject: Attn: Andrew Davie-is e-mail address right?
>Sorry for the intrusion, but I'm getting a bad IP address error on Andrew's
>e-mail address.
>
Anyone want an 11/70? This guy's going to trash it if no one steps
forward.
-=-=- <snip> -=-=-
From: David Low <ghb04(a)dial.pipex.com>
Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp11
Subject: PDP 11/70 Any value
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:00:45 +0000
Organization: UUNET WorldCom server (post doesn't reflect views of UUNET
WorldCom)
Lines: 52
Message-ID: <36ADBC79.5508E5E1(a)dial.pipex.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: usern243.uk.uudial.com
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
boundary="------------1B1F62740C54D10DB1C9CABC"
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en] (Win95; I)
X-Accept-Language: en
Path:
news1.jps.net!news.pbi.net!131.119.28.147!su-news-hub1.bbnplanet.com!cpk-news-hub1.bbnplanet.com!news.gtei.net!newsfeed.cwix.com!18.24.4.11!newsswitch.lcs.mit.edu!rill.news.pipex.net!pipex!bore.news.pipex.net!pipex!not-for-mail
Xref: news1.jps.net alt.sys.pdp11:804
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------1B1F62740C54D10DB1C9CABC
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
I am finally having a clear out of my garage, amongst the stuff I have
there is
A Digital pdp11/70, including processor, 64 ports (emulex controllers)
Kennedy tape deck,
Processor has 4mb memory (Systime), there is a unibus expansion box
which contains a disk controller, and the 2 x 32 port emulex
controllers.
I dont have the disk drives (which were 2 x Fuji super eagles). I have
the software tapes, manuals etc. The sysgen listing and patches for
Rsts/e 9.3.
Is this worth out, or should I finally consign to the skip. (btw all the
above is in a systime double width cabinet.
regards,,
David Low
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho,
Blue Feather Technologies -- kyrrin (at) bluefeathertech [dot] com
Web: http://www.bluefeathertech.com
"...No matter how we may wish otherwise, our science can only describe an object,
event, or living thing in our own human terms. It cannot possibly define any of them..."
-----Original Message-----
From: Richard A. Cini, Jr. <rcini(a)msn.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Friday, 29 January 1999 13:16
Subject: Attn: Andrew Davie-is e-mail address right?
>Sorry for the intrusion, but I'm getting a bad IP address error on Andrew's
>e-mail address.
>
>Andrew, if you can hear me, I'd be interested in the below...
>
> A quick check shows 3 pages of "Interface schematic" and a 3 pages of
> "Display/Control Schematic" and assorted sundries. PLMK if you are
>still
> looking, and I can probably arrange something.
>
>Thanks!
>
>[ Rich Cini/WUGNET
>[ ClubWin!/CW7
>[ MCP Windows 95/Windows Networking
>[ Collector of "classic" computers
>[ http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/
>[ http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/pdp11/
><================ reply separator =================>
>------Transcript of session follows -------
>Connection to mad.scientist.com failed. No Ip address found from
>email.msn.com-10.48.181.33
>adavie(a)mad.scientist.com
>Server received Winsock error Host not found.
Your DNS seems to have a problem finding it for some reason.
Host name: mad.scientist.com
IP address: 207.51.48.65
Alias(es): None
Works for me....
Cheers
Geoff Roberts
Computer Room Internet Cafe
Port Pirie
South Australia.
netcafe(a)pirie.mtx.net.au
Sorry for the intrusion, but I'm getting a bad IP address error on Andrew's
e-mail address.
Andrew, if you can hear me, I'd be interested in the below...
A quick check shows 3 pages of "Interface schematic" and a 3 pages of
"Display/Control Schematic" and assorted sundries. PLMK if you are
still
looking, and I can probably arrange something.
Thanks!
[ Rich Cini/WUGNET
[ ClubWin!/CW7
[ MCP Windows 95/Windows Networking
[ Collector of "classic" computers
[ http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/
[ http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/pdp11/
<================ reply separator =================>
------Transcript of session follows -------
Connection to mad.scientist.com failed. No Ip address found from
email.msn.com-10.48.181.33
adavie(a)mad.scientist.com
Server received Winsock error Host not found.