<> > It means patching the BIOS to reflect the format differences, and of
<> > course you cannot format to 1440k (HD). Allison has done the 3.5" thin
<> > I believe.
<>
<> I'd love to know how this is done. :)
Real simple, mine has turbo rom and that knew about 80track two sided
drives. I used a 3.5" disk with the advent personality card configured
so it looks like a 5.25 80track dd drive and I get 782k per disk (close
enough for 720k(different number of sectors but otherwise legit)!
The drive was mounted in one of the two hole vacated but the 360k HH drive
using a 3.5" to 5.25 adaptor bracket. The 3.5" drive is an older one that
has a select switch for one of four drives. A newer drive can be used but
you need to make a "odd" cable.
Allison
> Interesting. I know the guy that owns Hand Held Products. He started
> out making EPROM boxs for the HP 41 calculators. Now he's made it big time
You realize, of course, that the HP-41C is an "Antique Computer Rare Vintage
Classic", right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=61225809
- Joe :-)
I have a copy of Windows 1.01 that I installed on an XT. What I am
wondering, was there ever a publicly available 1.0? I cannot recall ever
having seen it. Just curious...
Todd Osborne
Senior Software Engineer
FMStrategies, Inc.
http://www.fmstrategies.com/
--------------------------------------------------------
FMStrategies, Inc: tosborne(a)fmstrategies.com
Internet E-Mail: todd.osborne(a)barnstormer-software.com
--------------------------------------------------------
Founder of the Virtual Windows Class Library (C++)
http://www.barnstormer-software.com/vwcl/
--------------------------------------------------------
Anagrams? (http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/)
Can you figure out this one? Want the answer? E-Mail me.
COCO VERDI MOM (Hint: Think Late 1970's Computer)
--------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
"The timid die just like the daring, and if you don't take the plunge then
you'll just take the fall" - Michael Longcor
Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to photograph parts of my
collection? All i have is a basic 35mm camera and a polaroid...
Should i use high speed 35mm film becasue of low light conditions indoors,
or is a slower speed more important? Or is it important to have a white
background for contrast.. Or should i try placing things on a flat bed
scanner, etc..
Any suggestions are appreciated. I want to photograph some of my rarer
items (Teraks, Sun 1, if you saw that Burroughs core memory that just
sold on ebay I have one of those too plus a foot long chunk of wire-wrapped
boards from that computer, etc).
-Lawrence LeMay
I just found out about this list so I thought I'd post this here in case
someone can help... I appologize if this is a repeat post!
Looking for anything HP21MX or HP2000 related - cpu's, peripherals, etc.
Many of the HP1000 system peripherals are of interest too. My particular
interest is TSB (Time Share BASIC), not RTE, so I'm also interested in
IOP Roms, etc.
Especially interested in the following:
21mx series cpus and controllers
2748A or 2748B high speed paper tape reader
790x type disk drives (7900, 7905, or 7906)
7970 tape drive
TSB 1541 rev c or later paper tape (binary, loader1, and loader2)
This is for a private collection, hobbyist use (not business or resale) -
does anyone have any of this stuff around in storage they'd be willing to
part with?
Please reply directly to jay(a)tseinc.com. Thanks!
Jay West
-----Original Message-----
From: Lawrence LeMay <lemay(a)cs.umn.edu>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Thursday, 28 January 1999 8:44
Subject: free stuff
>We have enough Indy Cameras to sink a ship, but we'll probably keep those
>for who knows what reason...
Ok, I'll bite, WTH is an Indy Camera??
Cheers
Geoff Roberts
Computer Room Internet Cafe
Port Pirie
South Australia.
netcafe(a)pirie.mtx.net.au
On Jan 29, 9:58, Philip.Belben(a)pgen.com wrote:
> Subject: Re: photographing olf computers/parts
> Use the longest focal length you can
That's sound advice.
> The slower 35mm films are pretty good with a decent lens, but if you can
> get the required magnification with the polaroid, it may be worth
> considering since it is likely to be a less grainy process, and a larger
> film area (i.e. lower resolution per inch <= same resolution across whole
> picture)
Actually, modern 35mm film is likely to be better. Don't use too slow a
film; for technical reasons, the slower the film, the more contrasty it's
likely to be. Too much contrast loses detail.
> I have little experience with lighting computer stuff, but I imagine
(say)
> a board full of chips might require several light sources to avoid the
> chips casting strange shadows.
Mechanic/electrical artefacts tend to have a lot of reflections, and it's
usually better to use one main (preferably diffuse) light source with a big
reflector on the other side of the subject, to fil in the shadows. A big
white board, or a bedsheet will do admirably. If you do want highlights
off the shiny parts, you can always add a small light once you have the
main lighting adjusted.
If you're using artificial light, even for colour negatives, you'll get
better results if you use a colour correction filter on the camera.
--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Dept. of Computer Science
University of York
-----Original Message-----
From: John R. Keys Jr. [mailto:jrkeys@concentric.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 1999 8:25 PM
To: classicccmp(a)u.washington.edu
Subject: FW: Nice finds
-----Original Message-----
From: John R. Keys Jr. [mailto:jrkeys@concentric.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 1999 6:56 PM
To: Classic
Subject: Nice finds
Well it's been awhile and I have picked a lot more items than I can list
without causing problems. I have just few things worth telling everyone
about.
1) video tape from by Microsoft called Windows At Work from May 20,1991
featuring Bill Gates giving the keynote address at the first Windows World
Conference and Exposition.
2) four brand new unopened video's from Apple (1991) called Apple Mac
Competitive Series - on Applications, Power, Networking, and Growth.
3) One used video called Welcome to Macintosh from 1989
4)The Home Computer Handbook ISBN 0-671-47221-6 really a great read with
lots of photos
5) Tandem Advance Command Language reference manual.
6) Handheld products Micro-wand systems a model II & III hand held wands, a
direct plug-in transformer, all the manuals and software for them.
7) Sailor-2 ONE/D EPROM programmer with manual and software
8) Datarase II EPROM eraser holds up to 4 40pins units at once.
9) Grid model 1810 notebook
10) Commodore Amiga A600HD unit
11) Commodore 1802 monitor
12) V-marc 88a computer
13) TRS80 model 12
14) LEX-21 terminal unit
15)CBM 2001 series works great
16) Otrona Attache portable computer
17) Heathkit H9 video terminal
18) About 30 2600 cartridges
That's it for now but this is just a small amount of the items picked up
over the last few weeks.
Hope to have a web site up soon on concentric.net to list most if not all of
the items I have in the collection. Keep Computing John
This page should answer your most of your questions.
http://www.geocities.com/~compcloset/MITSAltair8800.htm#MITS Advertisements
David
davidfreibrun(a)home.com
http://altaircomputers.org
-----Original Message-----
From: Marvin <marvin(a)rain.org>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Saturday, January 30, 1999 3:16 AM
Subject: Altairs
>There is an ebay auction with two what look to be Altairs, but the second
>does not have the MITS "title bar" at the bottom. I thought this was
>discussed earlier but I can't find it. Were the early kits, machines, or
>??? supplied without the strip, or did someone build it and just not attach
>that trip?
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=60303160
>
>Is there a way to date when an Altair was made if the serial number is
>missing or was not applied (type of motherboard, or other parts)?
>
>Did all the early Altairs have the crude 4 S-100 socket boards, or did they
>make some that were more than 4 sockets?
Wow! That sounds all kinds of neat -- any chance you have a line on more
than one of these? I'd love to add a "computer-in-a-keyboard" PDP-11 to the
collection!
-- Tony Eros
Computer History Association of Delaware
----------
From: Andrew Davie[SMTP:adavie@mad.scientist.com]
Reply To: classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu
Sent: Friday, January 29, 1999 9:23 AM
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
Subject: Soviet BK-0010
I recently posted about the Soviet BK-0010 computer.
I've since found out a bit more information about it. I'm reliably
told
that it has an actual PDP-11 processor inside it - and I naturally
assumed
it was a PDP-11 clone. Its not. In fact, it is a
computer-in-a-keyboard,
somewhat akin to the Commodore 64. The whole thing weighs 2kg or
thereabouts. It's a simple home computer. There are two versions -
a
membrane keyboard (with brightly coloured keys!) and a "normal"
keyboard
one. More information as it becomes available.
And here I was, expecting to have to arrange shipping for something
the size
of a fridge!
I'm trying to arrange pictures - I may extend my site to include
Soviet
Microcomputers, too :) But that would be "MOSMOW" and it doesn't
have the
same catchy ring to it. I need a new acronym!
A
--
adavie(a)mad.scientist.com
visit MOSCOW - the Museum of Soviet Calculators (on the Web) at
http://www.comcen.com.au/~adavie/slide/calculator/soviet.html
a Yahoo!, Netscape, Wall Street Journal, Newsweek and New Scientist
Cool
Site!