Hi Jay,
I wanted to reply to you.
I have a system that you might be interested in.
It's a 2100S Microprogrammable System Computer
It is a rack mount box about a foot high and 2.5 feet deep.
I also have a similarly sized expansion box for it.
These were pulled from a large bank of racked surplus
equipment. It was all wired and presumably working when
it was decommissioned. Although I've never applied power
to it. In fact I also have some kind of an HP monitor that was
attached.
Both units are populated with cards (including HPIB interface
cards and the cables to interconnect the two boxes).
Someone once pointed me to a photograph of this system
on the web, but I don't recall off-hand were it is. It has
little square luminated push-button switched on the front of
the primary box. The expansion box has a plain front panel.
If this is the kind of item you're looking for we might be
able to trade. I don't think I'd want to sell it outright. I didn't see
where you were from. This unit is REAL heavy. Each of the two enclosures
probably weigh about 80lbs so would probably be
expensive to ship.
I'm located in New Hampshire (zip 03103).
I collect homebuilt kits and single board computers and
related materials including documentation from approximately
1965-1985.
Kind of things I'm looking for:
Altair :: Imsai :: AIM-65 :: An original ELF :: Ohio Scientific equip.
Ithaca :: maybe a PDP-8? :: definately a SCELBI H8
Jon
>I just found out about this list so I thought I'd post this here in case
>someone can help... I appologize if this is a repeat post!
>
>Looking for anything HP21MX or HP2000 related - cpu's, peripherals, etc.
>Many of the HP1000 system peripherals are of interest too. My particular
>interest is TSB (Time Share BASIC), not RTE, so I'm also interested in
>IOP Roms, etc.
>
>Especially interested in the following:
>21mx series cpus and controllers
>2748A or 2748B high speed paper tape reader
>790x type disk drives (7900, 7905, or 7906)
>7970 tape drive
>TSB 1541 rev c or later paper tape (binary, loader1, and loader2)
>
>This is for a private collection, hobbyist use (not business or resale) -
>does anyone have any of this stuff around in storage they'd be willing to
>part with?
>
>Please reply directly to jay(a)tseinc.com. Thanks!
>
>Jay West
>
>
>
Golly! I recently passed up a $10 dual 150-meg unit at the local junk
store. If I'd thought someone had that many cartridges in one place, I'd
have bought the thing just to pass along to someone like you.
Dick
-----Original Message-----
From: KFergason(a)aol.com <KFergason(a)aol.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Saturday, January 30, 1999 10:22 PM
Subject: Re: Bernoulli cartridges
>In a message dated 1/30/99 8:58:55 PM Central Standard Time,
>dburrows(a)netpath.net writes:
>
>> I recently picked up about 30 150meg Bernoulli cartridges that have never
>> been opened. According to the chart on the back they should work on the
>> 90meg.
>> Dan
>>
>hmm, i don't have any new ones, so the chart you are talking about makes
>no sense to me. Can you write to the 150's with the 90M drive? perhaps,
>format the cartridges as 90's? Is that what it means?
>
>just curious.
>kelly
I recently found a Xebec hard drive/box/powersupply arrangement in a thrift
store. Since I was after the box and supply, the fact that the controller
was integrated into the drive hardware, which made it almost completely
inscrutable, was not a problem. If someone wants these remnants, they're up
for grabs for the shipping cost . . .
I also have a Tandy portable computer, which I was given, which might be of
some interest to someone. Since I don't know a thing about it and don't
want to learn, this is also available for the cost of shipping. It's quite
small, but not exactly "pocket size" though I guess it's closer to that than
to a desktop of the time. I was given a wall-wart and a cable along with
it, and it has an integrated printer, I believe.
Dick
-----Original Message-----
From: David Williams <dlw(a)trailingedge.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Saturday, January 30, 1999 10:32 PM
Subject: Some finds and a few questions
I finally had a chance to get out and hit a few thrifts again. I was
chained in a studio working on an anime, but I'm free again.
Anyway, I found a Xebec Sider harddrive. Was this for the Apple //?
Something was loose inside so I checked and found a small
rectangle filled with some ceramic like stuff and a wire sticking out
of each end inside of the PSU. Can't seem to see anywhere in the
power supply where this thing may have come from but also can't
see how it could have gotten inside if it didn't belong. Not even sure
what it is. Any ideas anyone? Also would like any info on the
drive type, size interface, etc. It is a model 9710H. Looks like I
can pull the drive from the case and hook up a different PSU.
On another note, anyone tell me anything about a handheld unit, I
think it was an LK-3000 or some such, I'll have to go back and
check. The guy wants $50 for it and also has a Tandy Pocket
Computer for $40 I'm thinking of picking up.
Other things I grabbed:
Odyssey2 in box
Coleco Adam in box (damn big box for a home console system)
Atari 1040STf (may sell/trade this as I have one and an STfm too)
Couple of Apple 5.25" drives
Misc software and books
For those of you who were interested in the Mattel Aquarius Data
Recorders, after two months of no replies to my query on where to
drop off the money and pick up the recorders, I have finally given up
on them. They said they accepted my offer but then they just fell
silent. Guess they found someone else with a better offer.
-----
David Williams - Computer Packrat
dlw(a)trailingedge.com
http://www.trailingedge.com
Ah yes... nice cool wx, mid 70s... good company, and everybody
and their dog turned out for it.. I got down there at 6:15 am and
the seller's set-up area was already half full.
I got the rest of the cables for my Prime system.. now I can see
if it boots.
I got a *bunch* of books... most came from five boxes that I
bought for $20... intending to take home and browse thru... but as
I was unpacking the truck, book-sharks came from everywhere and very
soon I had sold almost all of them... barely keeping the ones I
wanted, and neeless to say at a tidy profit... :) Not much in
the way of stunning classiccmp-related items... Doug got that one
(the Basis machine new-in-the-box)... someone left a poor Televideo
912 behind when they left so I rescued it. I found some more disk
packs for my CDC 9766 drive.
Next one is next month... the last saturday in February.. anyone
in the Los Angeles area then is invited to attend... there will be
a Classiccmp Bash/Banquet/Brag session right afterwards..
Cheerz
John
PS: Oooppss... I forgot about the Russian Typewriter I bought.. I
had to have it.. a nice 50's Royal Standard... all Cyrillic....
too cool!
Meant to post this heads-up last week, but if someone is interested, it
might be still available.
Usual contract the mailer NOT me.
ciao larry
...............................................................................
In a message dated 1/30/99 8:58:55 PM Central Standard Time,
dburrows(a)netpath.net writes:
> I recently picked up about 30 150meg Bernoulli cartridges that have never
> been opened. According to the chart on the back they should work on the
> 90meg.
> Dan
>
hmm, i don't have any new ones, so the chart you are talking about makes
no sense to me. Can you write to the 150's with the 90M drive? perhaps,
format the cartridges as 90's? Is that what it means?
just curious.
kelly
<The 3.5 inch drive conversion. Using modern media on this machine would
<simplify things enormously. However I don't have the facilities to burn
<my own roms, so if it involves patching the bios rom (like it sounds like)
<I'll stick with 5.25 I guess.
Just get a Advent turborom... TCJ has them. Since the DQDD 5.25 format is
781k and that works well on 3.5" disks as well.
<That's right. It has the pads and traces for probably a 50 pin header jus
<behind the floppy connection header. Is this where I'd plug in the
<hard disk controller if I had it? And I don't suppose anyone ever made
It use a host interface controller try TCJ or find a 1002HDO + MFM drive.
<a SCSI host adapter for this thing? being able to use SCSI disks in it
<like I do in nearly every other machine I own would be VERY handy. (yes,
<I'm a SCSI bigot. I lothe IDE).
No hope for SCSI though there was IDE interface.
Allison
Today I run into a Monroe CAA-10 electromechanical calculator,
totally accidentally and unplanned. I am not in electromechanical
devices, but it looked nice, so I bought it for approx. US$60.
Question: Is this in any way rare or significant, or is it something
where everybody has already 10 pieces of ?
Does anyone know the manufacturing period ? There is no date on the machine,
but the style impresses me as definitely 50-ish.
John G. Zabolitzky
If any of you have Kennedy tape drives this
might interest you.
I was at the local Junk store this morning and found
a box full of the rubber o-rings that are used on
the Tape reel retaining latch (both reels).
I bought a couple and compared them to my
originals and they appear to be exactly the same.
They are in good condition, still flexible and supple.
No dryness or cracking.
If anyone wants me to pick up any let me know.
They're 50 cents apiece plus shipping, which shouldn't
be much.
There were quite a few so I don't think that supply is a
problem.
Let me know soon.
Jon
On or about 05:23 PM 1/30/99 -0500, R. Stricklin (kjaeros) was caught in a
dark alley speaking these words:
>I had a '50s-ish Monroe electromechanical desk caluclator when I was in
>elementary school. I convinced my parents to buy it for me from a JC
>Penney firesale. I think it cost around $15. This would've been in the
>late 1980s.
I'm going to try to keep this on-topic (or at least close)... My parents
had a '60's Victor, which cost big $$$, but was no longer used, so they
kept it in the attic. Occasionally, they'd bring it down and let us kids
play on it, but I was the only one who had any interest in it whatsoever.
>I remember thinking it was pretty groovy, even if there were some things
>about it I didn't quite understand how to make work properly.
>
>My little brother pushed it off my desk on day and it stopped working, so
>I reluctantly threw it away.
When I was 11 or 12, I broke the Victor in a non-violent way, but had no
clue how until a few years later...
See, this Victor had the ability to divide, and at the time I broke it, I
had no idea that dividing by zero was a bad idea.....
Damn, the racket that thing made (and still makes today if you plug it in)
as it tries to keep dividing by zero whenever power is applied.
Can't do it on computers now, either. (Thank goodness for error trapping...
;-)
See ya,
"Merch"
=====
Roger "Merch" Merchberger -- zmerch(a)30below.com
SysAdmin - Iceberg Computers
===== Merch's Wild Wisdom of the Moment: =====
Sometimes you know, you just don't know sometimes, you know?