I agree with you that the 200 isn't as impressive as the 100. The flip-up display,
while possibly being a little easier to read, is just asking to be broken.
A couple of years ago, when I was covering motorsports for a local radio
station, I noticed that in the press room, amongst the guys with their fancy
color multimedia laptops, at least 2 or 3 guys would be filing their stories on
100's. Built like a tank, and you don't have to try and hunt down a special litium
battery in the middle of a race.
Paul Braun
NerdWare -- The History of the PC and the Nerds who brought it to you.
nerdware(a)laidbak.com
www.laidbak.com/nerdware
> I can get the cd drive to burn the CD & read from it, however it will not
> read
> on another standard CD drive.
You can't read CD-RW's in (most) regular CD players. You'll have to keep
burning coasters until it works right.
Make sure the disc is "finalized"; that is, make sure you tell your CDR
program that you're not going to write any more tracks to the disc (some
programs also call this "closing" a disc). Normal CD players can't read a
disc until it's been finalized.
Also, You mentioned DirctCD. Most normal CD players can't read discs
written using packet-writing technology -- you need to lay out an ISO 9660
image and blast the whole thing at once (or do it on the fly, which is just
a risky way of writing everything at once).
Someone also mentioned multi-session discs -- do avoid these, as the other
poster recommended.
> Thanks..
> Phil...
Paul Kearns
paulk(a)microsoft.com
Of possible interest to the List, especially to our members in the
Greenwich Time Zone... I have aquired two books published in
England in the 50's... one is buried in a stack (I am building more
shelves for more books... arrgh) but is a general treatise on the
state of the art from a very technical stance. It has many great
photos.
The other book came from yesterday's TRW haul... it is
"ELECTRONIC COMPUTERS Principles and Applications" by T.E. Ivall
published by Iliffe & Sons, Second Ed of 1960. (two prev: 1956, 7)
This book covers Analogue and Digital machines and is packed with
many plates, pictures, and diagrams... it has several views of the
ACE, the TRIDENT analogue flight simulator, several Ferranti and
Creed devices, etc., etc.
I have made a picture gallery on my web site and I have now got to
scan a bunch of these things in... a project that will take only
about a long weekend to complete.... sometime in 2015 if my best
estimates are correct. ;)
But I'd like to get this stuff up, because it tends to balance the
Americo-centric focus of foundation computing.
Remember who had the first actual 'Von Neuman-ish' machine in
service.....
Also, in one of the manuals, I have a large model/feature/config
chart of all known machines from the EDSAC up to about 1966... from
all manufacturers, Germany, Japan, France, Switzerland, etc.
But its big.... oh well, soon!
Cheerz
John
Wow, a Russian computer museum.
http://www.computer-museum.ru
I hope you can read Russian.
Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar(a)siconic.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always being hassled by the man.
Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
[Last web site update: 01/15/99]
On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Sam Ismail <dastar(a)ncal.verio.com> wrote:
Subject: Re: TI99: WP and PC
] On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Allison J Parent wrote:
] > WP... workspace pointer. back when the 9900 was new registers (memory)
] > really ate up chip space and TI had an archetecture in the 990 minicomputer
] > where register were in memory instead of in the CPU. So the WP is a pointer
] > that points to a block of 16 locations in ram that are addressed in
] > instructions as R0 through R15.
]
] Wow! What a cool architecture! That would be a very handy feature to
] have in any processor.
Except for a significant penalty in register access time, maybe. Could
be worth it if you expected lots of context switches.
Sounds to me like the 1802. Is there any shared history between them?
Were the 1802 designers consciously influenced by the TI design, or was
it derived again from scratch?
Hmm, 1802's were used in satellites, right? Do satellite apps need lots
of context switching?
] Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar(a)siconic.com
] ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
] Always being hassled by the man.
]
] Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
] See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
] [Last web site update: 01/15/99]
Cheers,
Bill.
On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Derek Peschel <dpeschel(a)u.washington.edu> wrote:
] > Um, Derek, you're gonna unsubscribe this, right?
]
] I just did, and they weren't subscribed in the first place.
]
] I wonder if I can change the configuration so that only subscribed people
] can send things to the list? Is that really a good idea?
]
] -- Derek
One possible problem is that I often stumble across somebody needing
advice or having some interesting thing available, and it often tell
them just to send mail to this list. Heck, I just got through telling
this to the guy maintaining the US EPA computer recycling web page.
He replied, agreeing to mention it. (But it looks like he has not yet
done it.) Here's the (hideous) URL:
http://epainotes1.rtpnc.epa.gov:7777/r10/owcm.nsf/d60e13abe847c4cb882564de0…
Seems like the choice is between being open to spam, being less
friendly to outsiders, or requiring constant work by a moderator.
How about making this list open to posting only from subscribers,
and having some secondary list address (ie: another list) that is
left totally open, and anything interesting gets forwarded from
that to the real list. Only one person at a time need subscribe
to the secondary list, and act as the forwarder. So Derek wouldn't
get overworked, and we could take turns on "door-duty" just by
changing who subscribes to that.
It's clunky, but it's the best idea I've had in the past sixty
seconds. :-)
Bill.
Hi Everyone,
I came across a Hewlett Packard Apollo 400. Can anyone tell me anything
about this machine. I know nothing about it. I would like to know the
processor speed, approximate date of manufacture,something about the ram
amount(I do know that it has two ram boards in it).
Thanks in advance for all the help.
John Amirault
Well I'll be posting things as I get throught them since I have a move
in the next 6mos to a year ahead and there's way too much here. I'll
only post what I think the readers of this list would be interested in,
at as low a price as I can go.
I have an IBM PS/2 model 50Z (286) with factory tape drive (unknown
format) that is fit into the B: drive bay, and a 360k external floppy
drive unit (IBM). No keyboard or monitor. I believe it has a 30 or 40mb
hard drive and 1 or 2mb ram. I gave over $35 for this machine without
the external floppy, basically on a whim for future use. I haven't had
a use for it yet due to no time. I'd like to see this unit get used
where it will be appreciated. You can even bump it up to a 386 with one
of those 286 to 386 upgrades like a "Snap-In" made by Intel or others.
The tapedrive slot looks like a QIC-80 size but taller. Like I say this
is unknown but should be common enough.
Shipping weight from 40144 would be roughly 32 -34 lbs. I need to see
$25 for the unit and external floppy drive, plus the USPS shipping. If
you are near the central US, shipping shouldn't be too bad. It all works
great but the only thing on the hard disk (IIRC) is DOS so you'll have
to visit IBM's FTP for the tape and floppy drive drivers, no big task
though for most of us. All the hard ware is IBM so it should be an easy
thing to locate.
Email me driect at RHBLAKE(a)BIGFOOT.COM if you might seriously be
interested.
I love the add-on from Doug - priceless <grin>!!!
Also, for when you absolutely must get an antique HP part that isn't
available, and you've reached the end of your rope and are now willing to
pay severe cash for it....
There's crisis, mbg, and norco. They all still sell stuff for HP1000, 2100,
21mx, A series, etc.... and more. Be warned, the prices assume you are
buying for a business use system - they give new meaning to the term stiff
pricing. But - in a pinch...
Jay West
-----Original Message-----
From: Doug <doug(a)blinkenlights.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Sunday, January 31, 1999 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: Time to share a source - W.J.Ford Surplus
>On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Andrew Davie wrote:
>
>> Do you guys/gals have any idea how hard it is to share a (almost sacred)
>> hunting ground?
>
>Do you know how hard it is when somebody else decides to share your sacred
>hunting ground? Ford is good for HP stuff, among others....
>
>-- Doug
>
>
Oh - I didn't know anyone here collected Prime computers.
My company used to specialize in Pick and Pick-like operating systems (such
as prime information and the honeywell dps6 version of Ultimate OS).
If anyone is looking for Pr1me gear, I know where most of it in the St.
Louis area is... probably know a few customers who still have their DPS6's
in storage too. Just let me know...
Matter of fact, I know where a completely working Prime 2550 with 1/2 tape
drive bay is. They said anyone could have it, just cart it away. It's in
pristine shape, along with all load tapes, docs, etc.
Jay West
-----Original Message-----
From: John Lawson <jpl15(a)netcom.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Sunday, January 31, 1999 10:43 AM
Subject: SoCal TRW Swapmeet
>
>
> Ah yes... nice cool wx, mid 70s... good company, and everybody
>and their dog turned out for it.. I got down there at 6:15 am and
>the seller's set-up area was already half full.
>
> I got the rest of the cables for my Prime system.. now I can see
>if it boots.
>
> I got a *bunch* of books... most came from five boxes that I
>bought for $20... intending to take home and browse thru... but as
>I was unpacking the truck, book-sharks came from everywhere and very
>soon I had sold almost all of them... barely keeping the ones I
>wanted, and neeless to say at a tidy profit... :) Not much in
>the way of stunning classiccmp-related items... Doug got that one
>(the Basis machine new-in-the-box)... someone left a poor Televideo
>912 behind when they left so I rescued it. I found some more disk
>packs for my CDC 9766 drive.
>
> Next one is next month... the last saturday in February.. anyone
>in the Los Angeles area then is invited to attend... there will be
>a Classiccmp Bash/Banquet/Brag session right afterwards..
>
>
> Cheerz
>
>John
>
> PS: Oooppss... I forgot about the Russian Typewriter I bought.. I
>had to have it.. a nice 50's Royal Standard... all Cyrillic....
>too cool!
>