>In a message dated 1/30/99 8:58:55 PM Central Standard Time,
>dburrows(a)netpath.net writes:
>
>> I recently picked up about 30 150meg Bernoulli cartridges that have never
>> been opened. According to the chart on the back they should work on the
>> 90meg.
>> Dan
>>
>hmm, i don't have any new ones, so the chart you are talking about makes
>no sense to me. Can you write to the 150's with the 90M drive? perhaps,
>format the cartridges as 90's? Is that what it means?
>
>just curious.
>kelly
I have no clue other than the vague chart on the back. It looks like a 150
drive will read write format with a * for reduced performance a 90 meg cart.
It does not say anything about using 150m media in a 90m drive. This makes
me think the media will fit but will have to be formatted. To be sure I
would contact IOmega.
The only Bernoulli drive I have ever used was a just released 20m (I think)
back on a then new 286.
If you are still interested contact me off list. With the arrangements I
have with the scrapper I got them from to list members I am only looking for
$5.00 ea. plus shipping. If they are to be going into commercial use that
price WILL be higher.
Dan
<> The part I haven't figured out is the photodetector. Even those early L
<> players used a phototransistor for the detector.
<
<Would a selenium cell be fast enough? A CdS photresistor probably wouldn'
<be, I think.
Silicon photodiode predated the transistor. You would need that or
a photo tube to be remotely fastenough as the selenium or CdS is far to
slow.
In the early 50s when the tube was king germanium and silicon diodes
were reality and very common in computer and other uses. The problem
is the LASER postdates transistors! The optical light source would have
to be a collminated point source. Memory is easy, delay lines really big
ones!
BACK OT... A vacuum tube computer using germanium diodes and tubes in
under 400 of them would eb hard even with a 12bit word. It takes a minimum
of 1/2 a duo triode to make an inverter and a FF needs at least one
dual triode tube and a few diodes for steering. AND and OR gates using
diodes are trivial but a 1 bit full adder would eat several tubes and lots
of diodes. a full function ALU like '181 using tubes would easily eat
about 50-100 of them for 4bits though some logic economies could gotten by
using pulse coupled logic. Register and ALU are the primary consumers of
transistors/ICs/Tubes with gating of signals being a next level user.
Allison
On Feb 1, 15:49, Frank McConnell wrote:
> ObCC: so what did you UKans do to get your funny-looking L on
> computers, terminals, and printers imported from ASCII-speaking
> countries?
It's character 0xA3 (decimal 163, octal 243) in ISO Latin 1, and most
systems that don't have a special key for it map it to the "#" key. On
older systems, quite often the drivers replace the "#" character with the
pound symbol, but some replace the "$".
--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Dept. of Computer Science
University of York
<Except for a significant penalty in register access time, maybe. Could
<be worth it if you expected lots of context switches.
Access penalty is high as ram in '77 was slow.
<Sounds to me like the 1802. Is there any shared history between them?
<Were the 1802 designers consciously influenced by the TI design, or was
<it derived again from scratch?
Not even close. There is no shared history either as noth evolved from the
larger systems each made. The registers in the 9900 were very general in
use and symetrical in adressing modes. The 1802 the registers were not
general. They were mostly for pointers, stacks, and maybe storage. The 1802
had the ability to use any register as the program counter (via sep and
interrupts). The TI9900 the PC is one of the few hardware registers. The
1802 is a primary accumulator machine and the 9900 is anything but as all
registers are the target for the result.
<Hmm, 1802's were used in satellites, right? Do satellite apps need lots
<of context switching?
They would like that but the 1802 was used as it was available as
RAD hard and CMOS (low power!). The latter is more important as 10mW is
nothing compared the the ~600mW of the 9900 cpu never minding clock
generation (ttl 4 phase clock generator) support.
Allison
Hi all,
I have recently joined the list, not yet contributed too much, but enjoyed
reading quite a bit.
My personal preference is older stuff - if it contains integrated circuits,
I am not too much interested (with the possible exception of a Cray-1).
I did not succeed in finding any serious equipment in vacuum-tube technology.
Therefore, I decided to design and build a complete computer with
vacuum-tube technology from scratch. A short description of the project is
enclosed,
for those of you who might be interested. The attachment is best viewed with
some straight ASCII editor, like the MS-Editor.
Thanks to Hans Franke for a reading of a draft version and constructive
comments.
BTW, I am located in Munich, Germany.
John G. Zabolitzky
On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Sam Ismail <dastar(a)ncal.verio.com> wrote:
] On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Derek Peschel wrote:
] > I wonder if I can change the configuration so that only subscribed people
] > can send things to the list? Is that really a good idea?
]
] Yes and no.
] Yes because it would eliminate the riff raff postings we get every now and
] then (pet peeve).
] No because its really convenient for me to forward messages I get on a
] different e-mail account (which is not subscribed) from people wanting to
] give away or sell vintage computers. It would be a big pain in the ass if
] I had to first forward the message to my dastar account and then forward
] it from there to ClassicCmp.
You could subscribe from that address, and then tell the list processor
to postpone sending you anything there, and never cancel the postpone
order. I *think* you could still post from that address. Of course,
the list processor may eventually explode, holding back all that postponed
mail... (Would it actually hold copies of all that, or just drop it?)
] Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar(a)siconic.com
] ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
] Always being hassled by the man.
]
] Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
] See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
] [Last web site update: 01/15/99]
Cheers,
Bill.
Is anyone on the List, in the Southern California area, interested in a
CDC 9766 350MP top loader, with three disk packs? This unit was attached
to the Prime system I got recently, but is *not* going to be used with
the way I have the Prime configured.
I have gotten an offer of $100, but I have to deliver the damn thing,
and it's 600lbs.
I would like to sell this unit for a little more than $100, or I would
consider donating it to a worthy situation, ie. needed for a systems
restoration, or to supply parts made of Unobtanium.
Replies by e-mail....
Cheerz
John
Very good!
Now Tony, you have the responsibility to completely photograph this machine
and try to find a correct keyboard and PSU. Some of us will appreciate
seeing the photos and comments to learn (or relive!) this interesting
machine. I know I'll keep an eye cocked for the parts to help get this
machine restored. And to think this machine was only about 3 or 4 hours
drive from here!
Good luck with it :)
Regards, Chris
Upon the date 05:35 PM 2/1/99 -0500, Brad Ackerman said something like:
>Tony Eros was the first to respond (by 90 minutes), and so claims the
>computer. Thanks for all the offers -- I really didn't want to see this
>computer junked.
>
>Christian: [re your query] The machine has been sitting in an office as
>is for a while. I imagine the missing parts got Dumpstered(tm) long ago,
>unfortunately.
>
>Brad Ackerman N1MNB "...faced with the men and women who bring home
>bsa3(a)cornell.edu the pork, voters almost always re-elect them."
>http://skaro.pair.com/ -- _The Economist_, 31 Oct 1998
Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
Jamestown, NY USA cfandt(a)netsync.net
Member of Antique Wireless Association
URL: http://www.ggw.org/freenet/a/awa/
Tony Eros was the first to respond (by 90 minutes), and so claims the
computer. Thanks for all the offers -- I really didn't want to see this
computer junked.
Christian: [re your query] The machine has been sitting in an office as
is for a while. I imagine the missing parts got Dumpstered(tm) long ago,
unfortunately.
Brad Ackerman N1MNB "...faced with the men and women who bring home
bsa3(a)cornell.edu the pork, voters almost always re-elect them."
http://skaro.pair.com/ -- _The Economist_, 31 Oct 1998
were executed. We had 32K of 2114 1Kx4 SRAMs. Our board performed oddly,
<but it still worked. AFAIK, all MC68000 chips work to spec.
There were many mask revisions early on to correct microcode bugs.
Apparently the microcode was either difficult or very complex contributing
to many errors.
<Anyone want to buy a vintage 1982, gold and ceramic Motorola MC68000? Mak
<offer. Not available in stores. Not found on eBay.
I have two. ;)