->One detail that you might need to check: does the CD-RW share the IDE
>channel with the CD-ROM? A lot of recorders will spit out bad CD's
>because of this. I've had two drives that either wouldn't record at the
>right speed or would bomb when writing the table of contents to the disc.
>
>Brett
I think you may have something here Brett, Yes they do share the same IDE
cable, one is Master , one is slave..
Problem is I also have a master & slave ide hard drive on the other cable..
I will try changing the cableing, did not know this was a problem, the book
does not tell of this potential problem of sharing two cdrom drives on the
same ide cable..
Phil...
>For ASCII text we tend to use 'L', 'UKP', 'GBP', or \pounds to mean a
>pound sign. Or do what at least one catalogue I have (a current
>catalogue, BTW), and give all prices in pence. This catalogue includes
>things like 3600p (meaning \pounds 36.00), I guess because they couldn't
>print a pound sign.
Which brings up the question: What is the symbol or abbreviation for one
hundredth of a Euro?
Francois
>
>
>-tony
>
-----Original Message-----
From: Hans Franke <Hans.Franke(a)mch20.sbs.de>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Tuesday, 2 February 1999 3:49
Subject: Re: TI99: WP and PC
>P.S.: I've been told there was a Nixdorf computer where they
> build a (TTL) CPU based on the 9900 design.
I've got some bits of a Nixdorf something or other. Basically it's the
backplane, minus the rack and mountings, plus the power supply, some drives,
and cables and a couple of boxes full of modules.
Chip dates are around 74. Anyone know anything about Nixdorfs of this era?
Cheers
Geoff Roberts
Computer Room Internet Cafe
Port Pirie
South Australia.
netcafe(a)pirie.mtx.net.au
OK, I'm back to trying to get Alan Baldwin's TCP/IP package running on
RT-11. I've gone over the install procedure and am sure I'm doing it
right. Tonite I was trying for both TSX+ and the RT-11 XM monitor using
the EQ driver, and also the NQ driver that came with RT-11 for the XM
monitor.
I know the ethernet board is good as I'm able to use it under RSX-11M for
DECnet.
Howver, I'm getting the following error when I try to use FTP to connect to
one of my other systems on my network.
.ftpsb 192.168.1.41
FTPSB-11 V02.24 1-Nov-1998
Board initialization failed!. Error code=11
netinit() failed
.
Can anyone translate this and tell me what I'm doing? Has anyone here
managed to successfully install the software?
The other problem is that while the instructions say that the EQ drivers
included will work on a system running the SJ or FB monitors, I can't get
the driver to load. Yes, I realize it's not normal for the SJ/FB monitors
to be able to use a EQ driver.
Zane
| Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Adminstrator |
| healyzh(a)aracnet.com (primary) | Linux Enthusiast |
| healyzh(a)holonet.net (alternate) | Classic Computer Collector |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------+
| Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing, |
| and Zane's Computer Museum. |
| http://www.dragonfire.net/~healyzh/ |
I hope you're kidding about the Altair serial number 1... I would
rather hope that he would be investigated for 1) stealing it in
the first place, or 2) accepting stolen property...
Megan
-----Original Message-----
From: Doug <doug(a)blinkenlights.com>
>No it doesn't. Here's the Real Story (TM): Ed Roberts had a publication
>deadline...
damn... I was envisioning BIllG and PaulA on horseback jumping onto the
roof of a speeding train with guns (and whips) in hand... I'll have to
cancel that memo to Steve Spielburg....
Heh...
Mike: dogas(a)leading.net
I was wandering around the net and found - 4PDT relays with sockets.
Price - $2.00 - 24DC coils.
Email me to get some while thier hot - er - available 8-)
Wasn't it you Derek?
BC
This looks like a great candidate for a well-documented restoration -- I'll
be taking a ton of photographs and will welcome any and all suggestions and
pointers to parts, etc.
Thanks!
-- Tony
----------
From: Christian Fandt[SMTP:cfandt@netsync.net]
Reply To: classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu
Sent: Monday, February 01, 1999 5:50 PM
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
Subject: Re: 1130 has been claimed
Very good!
Now Tony, you have the responsibility to completely photograph this
machine
and try to find a correct keyboard and PSU. Some of us will
appreciate
seeing the photos and comments to learn (or relive!) this
interesting
machine. I know I'll keep an eye cocked for the parts to help get
this
machine restored. And to think this machine was only about 3 or 4
hours
drive from here!
Good luck with it :)
Regards, Chris
Upon the date 05:35 PM 2/1/99 -0500, Brad Ackerman said something
like:
>Tony Eros was the first to respond (by 90 minutes), and so claims
the
>computer. Thanks for all the offers -- I really didn't want to see
this
>computer junked.
>
>Christian: [re your query] The machine has been sitting in an
office as
>is for a while. I imagine the missing parts got Dumpstered(tm)
long ago,
>unfortunately.
>
>Brad Ackerman N1MNB "...faced with the men and women who bring
home
>bsa3(a)cornell.edu the pork, voters almost always re-elect
them."
>http://skaro.pair.com/ -- _The Economist_, 31 Oct
1998
Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
Jamestown, NY USA cfandt(a)netsync.net
Member of Antique Wireless Association
URL: http://www.ggw.org/freenet/a/awa/
In a message dated 1/30/99 3:33:03 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
geoffrob(a)netcafe.pirie.mtx.net.au writes:
> I vaguely seem to remember that the Plato Courseware also ran, or they had a
> version for, the TI99/4A.
> They were pushing it at schools and the like IIRC.
> My first real computer was a TI....Still got it here somewhere, complete
> with the expansion box and 24k of additional ram, and a 5.25" FDD.
yes, you are correct. I bought a complete unused CDC version of the ti
computer at a radio rally and got about 50 plato courseware titles. it was
indeed made for schools.
Hi, group.
I'm going to be putting up my annual exhibit at the local library and I need some
help with my facts so I don't screw anything up.
I have two display cases to work with. One will be tracing the development of
the portable pc, and will include the usual Compaq Sewing Machine, a Compaq
III, and a Compaq LTE286; a Kaypro II, an Osborne, a Mac Portable (non-
backlit), IBM Convertible, and a Tandy M200 and Pocket Computer. (I'm really
trying to get an M100, but all the reporters I know who still use them would
rather have their fingers removed first before they'd give 'em up.......)
Can anyone give me the original release dates and some tech specs on the
200 and the Pocket? The 200 has the parallel printer card, the external floppy
drive, all the books, and several floppies with stuff on them. The Pocket is the
original model, and has software, all the docs, the original boxes, the original
carrying case, RS-232 interface and the neat little color plotter/printer.
Any info, anecdotes, whatever would be greatly appreciated and acknowledged
in the display.
Thanks.
Paul Braun
NerdWare -- The History of the PC and the Nerds who brought it to you.
nerdware(a)laidbak.com
www.laidbak.com/nerdware