<Is there any specific information out there about W.D.'s implementation
<of XT-IDE?
It is documented some in the QUE book Upgrading and repairing PCs 3rd
edition I have.
Allison
<The original design for the Altair as presented in those fateful issues of
<"Popular Electronics" had no bus or backplane, but was just four circuit
<boards wired together with ribbon cable. (as shown in a picture in part on
<of the article)
<
<It would seem, that true seekers of the 'Holy Grail' would be trying to
<determine if any machines in that original configuration were ever actuall
<shipped! And then the task would be to find one of those!
There were only a few and they were the prototypes.
<Now, THAT would be on a par with the Apple I ! Eh?
No that would exceed the Apple I as they are like flies (it was a
production machine) compared to prototypes.
Allison
On Tue, 2 Feb 1999 18:44:35 +0000 (GMT) ard(a)p850ug1.demon.co.uk (Tony
Duell) writes:
>>
>> Tony Duell wrote:
>> > A photomultiplier isn't that bad to use. OK, it needs a kilovolt
>or so of
>> > EHT. But apart from that it's a fairly easy device to connect up
>and get
>> > a useable signal from. There should be a lot of them still about,
>and
>> > small ones aren't that expensive second-hand.
>>
>> The tricky part is how to mate this with the mechanical assembly.
>Even
>> the laserdisc players that used a HeNe laser still used a
>semiconductor
>> photodetector that was directly mounted on the sled.
>
>I assume the HeNe tube didn't move with the sled, right (far to much
>mass, the servo would never lock). Couldn't you do something similar
>with
>the photomultiplier - mount it on the chassis and somehow direct the
>light beam onto it?
Actually, I saw a prototype laserdisk player in a museum somewhere
(I think it was in the LA Museum of Science , but it was a long time
ago) that had the following arrangement: The HeNe laser tube was
bolted down, along with some optics, and a spinning platter/servo motor
mounted on a carriage. The *PLATTER* moved during seeks! It was
really quite bizarre to watch.
They used a *BIG* servo motor to move the carriage, if memory serves.
Jeff
___________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
A couple of weeks ago someone was asking about a Gorilla Banana printer.
Today I found the onwer's manual for my old Gorilla monochrome monitor.
Does anyone need it?
Joe
Don't know if anyone can help on this, but wanted to post this query to the
kind folks here...
I have a PDP-8E system, but it appears that the previous owner got many of
the parts from different sources. The system has a paper tape reader/punch,
but it's for a PDP-11 (PC05) not for a PDP-8 (PC04). I have some information
that shows how to convert a PC05 into a PC04 so I can use it with the 8E,
but I would prefer to not have to do the conversion unless absolutely
necessary (I don't like to mess with historical accuracy if at all
possible).
So - does anyone have a working PC04 paper tape reader/punch that they would
want to trade for a working PC05 paper tape reader/punch?
Thanks mucho!
Jay West
I have a Honeywell DPS 6, nice computer, really, but I've got a problem.
There is one of these weird fixed disk/removable cartridge drives (yes
that is a fixed disk and removable cartridge in one) that has a broken
belt that runs between the drive spindle and the motor. It is this weird
small v-belt.
There is also this large hard drive in another cabinet that connects to
the thing using DB37 connectors, IIRC. I'm not sure of how to connect it
to the computer, nor do I have the cables.
I do know the box runs GCOS6, which from what I hear is a cross between
GCOS and Unix. Hooray for me, if I can get it working. Although it is
supposedly not y2k compliant, but I think that is just a ploy so Bull can
get you to spend money on an upgrade. :-)
Any hints or tips or free belts for that thing, or places to get belts for
that thing, would be appreciated. Any help on running GCOS6 would be
nice, as in how do I get the super user account on it? How do I add
users, etc.
On a different note, I may start a list for buying and selling old
computer stuff, everything but PCs, pretty soon, if interest is good
enough. Please email me personally at "enigma(a)intop.net" if you would
like to see something like that.
Regards,
J.S. Havard
"Hans Franke" <Hans.Franke(a)mch20.sbs.de> wrote:
> BTW: this E symbol is one of the 4 most stupid ideas around
> the euro - a typical pice of shit like most ideas developed
> by politicians. Don't get me wrong, the Euro is a good idea,
> but they tried to make it as stupid as possible.
The cynic in me wonders whether the funny-looking E isn't something
pushed either before or after the political accomplishment by computer
companies wanting to churn the installed base. I mean, Y2K has a
definite sell-by date. So does this but I think it's another couple
years out, right?
ObCC: so what did you UKans do to get your funny-looking L on
computers, terminals, and printers imported from ASCII-speaking
countries?
-Frank McConnell
On Feb 1, 23:30, Eric Smith wrote:
> Of course. It would use a HeNe laser, just like the early laser video
> disc players.
>
> The part I haven't figured out is the photodetector. Even those early LD
> players used a phototransistor for the detector.
Would a selenium cell be fast enough? A CdS photresistor probably wouldn't
be, I think.
--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Dept. of Computer Science
University of York
In einer eMail vom 31.01.1999 23:58:22, schreiben Sie:
<<
I wonder if bit-serial would be simpler (less data path, more control
logic, basically). A lot of the valved machines were bit-serial for this
reason.
[...]
I simply find bit-serial AWFUL - so much time wasted !!! Anything
should be designed to get the max. performance out of given
technology/budget, in my opinion; bit-serial certainly then would be
a good solution for a LONG word, like 30-60 bit, doing floating point,
if and only if budget limits do not allow paralell,
but not for smaller things. THAT is the reason for the historic machines
- they wanted floating point, therefore long words, therefore serial
because
of budget/size/etc constraints.
> Am amazed you couls build a computer like this with ~400 cards ~800 tubes.
> That is similar to building a complete computer with 200 SSI TTL chips like
> a 7400. Especially since a 24 bit latch could use 24 of the cards. I tried
This doesn't sound out of line. The CPU of the PDP8/e on my desk is 3
quad cards of TTL, mostly simple gates. Perhapes 250chips total. OK, some
of them are more complex (like full adder circuits), but there's nothing
that big in there.
> a design once (on paper) with MSI ic's like 74193 counters, and it quickly
> got out of hand, 100's of ic's.
If you're going to allow anything in the TTL data book, then you can
trivially make a CPU in 200 chips. You have to cheat slightly (74181
ALUs, small PROMs, etc), but it can be done. It has been done - many times.
-tony
>>
The big difference is in the basic AND-OR-INVERT tube gate used: only
one half tube (the INVERT, one triode section out of a dual triode
tube) is used,
but a lot of diodes doing the ANDs and ORs,
so that one tube section is equivalent to MORE than a standard SSI 74xx
IC.
Typically, I would say one AND-OR-INVERT, i.e. one tube section
plus associated diodes and resistors is equivalent
to about one entire 74xx package, so one tube is equivalent to about
two
packages, on the average.
John G. Zabolitzky