Hi gang. Well, my father is safely transitioned to his iMac, so as soon as I
get done sorting stuff out, I'll have an apple2GS with 4 megs of ram and a
printer card, along with a monitor, 2 3.5 inch drives, and a 5.25 inch drive to
sell. In a related note, I got my 2e running with a hard disk. It boots
to Prodos so fast it doesn't bear mentioning... but it's been a long time since
I used an 8 bit apple2, how do you transition from one .SYS image to another?
I have a launcher that does the job on my GS in 2e mode, but my e doesn't appear
to have enough ram to run it.
--
Jim Strickland
jim(a)DIESPAMMERSCUMcalico.litterbox.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Vote Meadocrat! Bill and Opus in 2000 - Who ELSE is there?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got a tonne of Adam cassette software... What are you looking for?
- Mike: dogas(a)leading.net
-----Original Message-----
From: PG Manney <manney(a)hmcltd.net>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Wednesday, February 03, 1999 8:11 PM
Subject: Adam parts
>Does anyone have any ADAM joysticks and/or software? ...or any commercial
>source for them?
>
>What to you suppose would happen if I called up Coleco?
>
>manney
>
>
>
-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Fandt <cfandt(a)netsync.net>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Thursday, 4 February 1999 3:29
Subject: Re: 3-phase (was: Re: CDC 9766 Drive and packs)
Except Jamestown, we pay only $0.03565 per KWH :-)
Lucky boy. We pay 12 cents a KWH in this part of Oz.
Most people with serious heating needs opt for natural gas.
Mind you, we don't need heat as much anyway, but an airconditioner of
reasonable size can cost upwards of 20c an hour to run, and in summer
(like now) we need it. Might have to emigrate....:^)
3 phase is uncommon outside industrial sites. ETSA (Electricity Trust
of South Australia) will only install it if you can prove you need it.
415v 3 phase, that is. Some (all electric) homes may have a couple of
seperate 240vac single phase circuits that are fed from seperate phases,
but even that's unusual.
Cheers
Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Marks College
Port Pirie South Australia.
My ICQ# is 1970476
Ph. 61-411-623-978 (Mobile)
61-8-8633-0619 (Home)
61-8-8633-8834 (Work-Direct)
61-8-8633-0104 (Fax)
A friend of mine found this at a garage sale. Small grey box with a long
cord and DB-9 connector. The front of the box says "Air Media Live" and has
a LED on it. Does anyone know what it is?
Joe
On Feb 3, 11:43, Philip.Belben(a)PowerTech.co.uk wrote:
> ISO Latin on a classic computer? Pull the other one!
Well, an Archimedes is certainly a classic computer (born 1987), and it's
native character set is ISO Latin 1. SunOS supported it then, too, IIRC.
> ISTR that the IBM PC had it at decimal 156. I have seen it replace $, #,
\
> (Commodore VIC) and `
Most common is to replace #, but ` is not so rare.
--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Dept. of Computer Science
University of York
>Second to the last command: IND SYSGEN
>Last command: told it to build only the monitors
Then I would say that it may depend on what you specified for the
output files for the sysgen.
You see, it is possible for just about any command issued under RT
to specify a disk without a filename... in which case the output of
whatever command you have issued will be to the *disk*, beginning
with block 0... this means that depending on how many blocks are
written, you may wipe out the boot block (0), home block (1),
secondary boot blocks (2-5), directory (6-67) and files (beginning
with block 68).
>It made it through the first bit of assembling (pardon the description,
>I'm still learning) and then it bombed. I tried to start it again and it
>bombed immediatly. At which point I decided to type: BOOT DU2:
Again, I'd need to see the *exact* commands issued to know how bad it
might be...
>The worst part is that I'd noticed that FLX under RSX11M couldn't write
>to the drive the night before. I guess I should have backed up my data
>at that point.
Hmmm... then sysgen and what it was doing may not be the problem. What
is the disk you are using? If an MSCP disk (like an RD series disk),
one or more blocks may have the 'forced error' bit set... which results
in errors when you attempt to read it. The way to clear this error is
to write the block (which I believe results in a revectoring process for
the bad block). The data for that block may be lost, however...
I seem to remember the option '/K' for DUP... I'll have to check the
documentation.
One thing which may be a problem is that if the bad block is in the
'system area', blocks 0-68, then RT pretty much refuses to allow you
to do anything with the disk... the idea being that there are times
when not enough of a device driver is in memory to do bad-block
revectoring...
>I guess I should look at it this way, even if I can't recover the data, I
>think I've got printouts of most of it. I'll only really have to
>re-enter a couple of the files, since the rest I don't really need.
I think it may be time to resurrect my RT volume analyzer and recovery
program and get back to work on it...
>Does RT-11 have some sort of utility like "BRU" under RSX-11, or "BACKUP"
>under VMS? I think I need to start backing up nightly to TK50 if I'm
>going to be doing much work on the system.
BACKUP.SAV...
KMON (keyboard monitor) command 'BACKUP' (or backup/restore)
Megan Gentry
Former RT-11 Developer
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '@' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
>Actually, there was a thingy called PC/IX which ran on those non
>memory-managed systems. I actually managed to snag a copy a few years ago.
Well, and of course there's Minix (where Linux started)...
Any Unix clones for 8080/Z80 systems? It ought to be doable, given that the
original Unix was done on a 64KB address space machine...
- Joe
> I picked up an IBM Displaywriter keyboard unit in a local thrift after
eyeing
> it for a couple of weeks and finally couldn't resist adding it to my
> living-space challenged collection.
> I remember seeing mention of it in an old 81 datamation mag and a 50s
> style picture of a dedicated secretary busy at work on one and other info
in
> possibly an old Byte. It was touted as being very popular to the point
that it
> was touted over the PC and that CP/M programs were being ported to it.
> I opened it up and it has only a small I/O board with a 15 pin connector
and
> takes it's power off that. It looks like an oversized C64.
> It obviously doesn't have enough electronics to be more than a keyboard
> terminal, but I don't recall seeing a box in the picture. I had
understood the
> displaywriter to be a stand alone machine. Did it have an additional box
or was
> it meant to connect to a CRT terminal hooked to a mainframe ?
Displaywriter system generally consisted of the following boxes:
System unit. PC-sized, half the case == power supply, other half == card
cage. Card cage contains system board with 8088 and other cards.
Keyboard. The thing you've got
Monitor. Very similar to IBM original (mono) PC monitor, I think
Printer. Daisywheel, EBCDIC, current loop.
Disk drives. Usually a dual 8" unit. Could be SSSD or DSDD iirc.
> At present it would seem to be about to join the 3270 monitor I have
(can't
> remember the model #) as interesting but unusable.
> Or could I get gadzillion bucks for it on e-pay ? Any info ?
My advice is: keep it against such time someone needs it...
Philip.
Hi Kevan. I hope you do not kill your archive.It is a thankless task and you
deserve kudos for undertaking it. I for one appreciate your efforts greatly,
and the alternative would result in increased mail as questions answered in
earlier threads were reposted. I also would have to get a bigger hard drive for
keepable posts which are numerous on this list. I don't think I have
ever received spam related to this mail-list. I did get some mined from the
CoCo list and classicmac list I believe but I unsubscribed to those a whle ago
for other reasons. Spam is a fact of life for anyone using the net. I use an
altered address for newsgroups however, which cut down considerably on the
spam I was receiving, but I still get some via other activities. I suspect even
Yahoo or Delphi lists etc., are not secure. Surely those who object to
archiving could use an altered address. Aren't there also means such as deja
news' "no archive" to achieve this ?
ciao larry
lwalker(a)interlog.com
Hi there.
I finally scored a piece of disk-based software for Atari 8-bits, so I
decided today to test out my atari disk drives to see if any of them
actually worked.
One 1050 did.
The other 1050 doesn't run the seek test when you turn it on, and is
invisible to the computer. I removed the actual disk drive from the
cabinet and verified that it does in fact work in the other 1050 chassis.
While doing this I noticed that the non-working 1050 seemed to have had a
modification done (rather sloppily, I might add; I suspect this has
something to do with why it doesn't work properly).
There is a hand-written silver sticker over what I'm assuming is an EPROM
that reads, "Doubler". There is a second Motorola 6810 piggybacked onto
the normal 6810, and a couple of jumper wires leading off into the PCB.
What was this, and how was it done properly (so I can verify that it's
ok)?
I have a Percom branded full height disk with Atari SIO connects on that
also seems to not work. I think this is because I need to decipher the
4-position DIP switch at the back panel. Any hints? As it is now, the
access light repeatedly switches on and goes off again, each accompanied
by a moderately loud click. The light is on for a second and then off for
maybe two. It doesn't ever stop doing this, and the drive is invisble to
the computer. The drive inside is full height, and made by Tandon I
believe.
ok
r.