>I have an old IBM motherboard in front of me, and not really sure if it's
>worth keeping/trading or (gasp) trashing. It's marked "16KB-64KB CPU" on
>the top, 3 of the 4 banks or RAM are occupied. IBM chips are dated
>1981/1982. Otherwise I don't really know what to look for in identifing
>this.
Well I'd keep it.
Thats the original IBM PC motherboard. The only other question would be
which of the first few bios revisions it has.
Speaking of wooden laptops... check out
http://www.luddite.com/ludditehome/product.html
- Joe :-)
----- Original Message -----
From: Nev Dull <nev(a)bostic.com>
To: /dev/null <nev(a)bostic.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 1999 1:05 PM
Subject: HTML O' The Day
>
>http://www.luddite.com/
> ... the finest in custom wooden computing.
>
Computers do what you tell them to do, not what you want them to do (some of
us can manage both;)
Francois
>A classic misconception, fostered by humans... When your bill is wrong,
>your bank
>account balance screwed up, your paycheck short.. They say IT WAS A
>COMPUTER ERROR!
>
> Will
>
>
>Max Eskin wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I'm thinking of putting together an FAQ-like document intended to combat
>> the stupid ideas people have about computers. So, does anyone have any
ideas
>> for common misconceptions about computers that I should address? So far,
I
>> have the places various things originated (i.e. IBM did _not_ invent the
>> PC, Apple did _not_ invent the GUI, etc.)
>>
>> --Max Eskin (max82(a)surfree.com)
>
I don't think that 2/5/99 is a more valid date than 5/2/99
Anyways the Europeans got it right you are the one writting the date
backward. The proof is that everyone in europe places the day first so they
must be right. Hint the Europeans go in increasing relevance: day/month/year
and not the very unelegant month/day/year. Why don't you set the time in
Minutes:Seconds:Hours while you're at it?
Francois
Disclaimer: I've adopted the US standard now but I think it sucks.
>Are you sure you're entering the time in the "correct" format (i.e. not
>like those silly Europeans who put the day before the month?)
>
>Sellam Alternate e-mail:
dastar(a)siconic.com
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
>Always hasslin' the man.
>
> Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
> See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
> [Last web site update: 01/15/99]
>
I have a chance to get an old system but I'm having trouble locating info
for it....
It's a homebrew (s-100??? mounted on plywood for chriscakes). Thinker toys
Wunderbuss, 11 slot mb, 2x8" drives, 2x(stringy?)wafer drives, alot of
wirewrap boards... maybe a punchtape/reader :) !!!
Can anyone give me more/any info on this type of setup??
Thanks
- Mike
Marvin <marvin(a)rain.org> wrote:
> BASIS Incorporated
> 5435 Scotts Valley Drive
> Scotts Valley CA 95066
> (408) 438-5804
>
> This would seem to imply that there should be quite a few more over here
> somewhere.
Hmm. I'm just flipping through some issues of the First Basis Users
Group newsletter, and it looks like Basis in Scotts Valley was out of
business by October 1983 (with its inventory being bought by an
"investor" and re-sold through a couple of other companies on west and
east coasts), and other attempts at establishing a distributorship
through other US-based companies met with varying degrees of failure,
with the end result being that if you wanted a Basis you had to buy it
>from Basis in Germany or find a dealer willing to do that for you.
And it looks like there was some sort of Basis in Germany into at
least 1987 when I run out of newsletters.
But yeah, I have one, a friend has one, he had another one when he
lived back east, I've seen others go by, and they were very nice
machines, superior to Apple ][s in several ways. So I don't think the
108s are that uncommon in the US. A 208, now....
-Frank McConnell
> so don't get the idea that you can
> run it in your house or garage.
My parents have 3-phase electricity at home, but I don't (yet). But I
think it's more common in the UK than in the US. (BTW my parents have a
16th century farmhouse which they heat electrically during the winter.
Maximum load we've measured, 36kW.)
I am told (I think it was Toy Duell first pointed it out to me) you can get
reasonable 3-phase using a largeish induction motor (say a mechanical
rating 2 or 3 times the electrical load you want to connect), without a
mechanical load: wiring one phase to ground, a second to line, and the
third to line through a capacitor for an approximate 60 degree phase shift.
The induction motor will also act as a generator, and produce enough emf to
tidy up the phase relationships and voltage imbalance. But be warned - you
will not have the right voltage, and one of the phases (rather than the
star point) will be at ground potential. A bank of three single-phase
isolating transformers should do the trick if either of these is critical
(a single autotransformer, upstream of the converter, will also work if
only voltage is critical.)
Also be warned. I am confident that this works _in theory_ but I have
never tried it.
Philip.
>> Three questions:
>>
>> Where will you be shipping from?
>>
>I'm in Denver
I am in New Jersey.
>> How much do you want?
>>
>I'd settle for a similar function for the ISA bus.
I don't have any ISA cards to give away, so I offer you $10 per card.
>What's a slave card?
A Slave S-100 card usually have some memory, a CPU and at least a RS-232
connector. What would happend is that when your system started up. Your
master CPU on the S-100 bus would load the memory of the slave cards with
something, like the slaves own version of CP/M. You could have as many of
these things as you box could fit. There were a number of way I/O to the the
users of the system could be accumplished. One was route all the slaves I/O
to the user throught the the s-100 bus to a I/O card connected to the users
terminal. The other and more tipical way what to have each user have their
termianl connected to the slaves RS-232 port. The drawback to this method
was there had to be a bus master handling all bus traffic to an from I/O
devices such as disk drives for each of these slaves since the slaves could
not do it themselves.
Compupro made a Z80 slave card that supported between 64K and 256K or RAM
that had a RS-232 port. If I recall correctly you could only put 8 of these
on you bus. But you could hack them to put as many as your bus supported.
This is the type of board I am looking for.
There was another method of placing multiple CPU on your bus. That basical
ment building a Single Board Computer (SBC) that could use the S-100
Temporary Master Access (TMA) hand shaking. The S-100 supported up to 16 of
these TMA on a bus. The advantages is the TMA's tended to use the bus more
efficiently comparied to slaves boards with requried a bus master present
servicing them. I don't know who use to make SBC that fully IEEE 696
standard for TMA access but do know that they were out there.
>I have a couple of primitive (as primitive as any S-100 board) SBC's from
>whoever made the famous SBC-100 and SBC-200. I have one of each, I think,
>and they're in unknown condition, as I inherited them from someone who was
>moving away and didn't want to haul them.
What an SBC-100 and a SBC-200 do?
Keep me in mind should you know of anyone who has IMSAI 8080 system for sale
out in your neck of the woods.
Michael
I'm not quite willing to give away my secret source yet (they're a
commercial source), but I wanted to let folks know in case anyone is
desperately searching for the following....
My source has several omnibus modules available:
M868 simple dectape control $100.00 plus shipping
M8650 console interface $100.00 plus shipping
Let me know if interested...
Jay West
At 09:32 PM 2/4/99 +0000, you wrote:
>me wants the machine code monitor. But the user in me wants to be able to
>enter text. And most people are just users.
I didn't know there *was* a user in you. 8^)
>Yes, you could get text editor ROMs for the HX20. But you couldn't buy an
>HX20 and start using it to enter text in the field. That, IMHO, is why
>the M100 was more successful.
Don't underestimate the value of a RatShack on every corner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------- O-
Uncle Roger "There is pleasure pure in being mad
roger(a)sinasohn.com that none but madmen know."
Roger Louis Sinasohn & Associates
San Francisco, California http://www.sinasohn.com/