Hi. I recently acquired a 1950's vintage Gibson GA-30 guitar amp. Never
having owned a tube-based amp before, I'm clueless about the proper way to
use this amp without abusing it (and it sounds great, so I want it to last
a long time! :v) .
For example, should I allow the tubes to warm up for a few minutes before
playing, and are there any special precautions I should follow after
playing (i.e. do I need a cool-down period before powering down?). Any
advice would be much appreciated. A quick Web-
search didn't reveal much except prices on used equipment.
Thanks!
Mark.
Hi,
Just a few possibilities.
Some hard drives will cause the above message if the 0 track has been altered (written over) linux is well know for this and the only way I know to resolve this is to low level format the drive. A lot of 386 and early 486 Award BIOS machines have an option of hard drive utility. If you do you're all set. I chose a 3 for the interleave value.
Try and boot the computer from the floppy, then run fdisk to see if you can reset the hd.
Check to see if any of the jumpers are missing from the pcboard part of the drive. Try typing the drive manufacture and model in Alta-Vista and see if the specs come up. That usually works for me.
If you have no set-up disk..... try the following on boot to get to the setup up Menu.
1) Hit CTRL+ALT+S or
2) Hit CTRL+ESCP or
3) Hit DEL
Paul
At 06:21 PM 2/7/99 +0100, royston hill wrote:
>Hi ,can you assist .we have a old 386 with a conner 80 meg HD .We needed
>to clean same and used the zero fill from disk manager on boot up. we
>got message NO ROM BASIC >SYSTEM HALTED we cannot find anything on this
>error message.or what we did wrong ?????? regards from africa ROY HILL
>
Try setting the scanner on either grayscale or monochrome, 150-200dpi. This
is what I use when scanning any tyoe of documnentation. I have an Artec
4800dpi scanner.
-Jason
-----Original Message-----
From: Jay West <jlwest(a)tseinc.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Sunday, February 07, 1999 12:14 PM
Subject: Help: scanning old computer manuals
>Ok, I've finally gotten around to attempting to scan a lot of the classic
>computer documentation that I have. However, I have run into a problem
>perhaps some here could shed some light on...
>
>Whenever I scan a page from a manual, the scanned image on the screen looks
>horrible. However, when I print it out it is absolutely perfect. Yes, I've
>tried zooming in on the image on screen, it is unreadable still. One more
>twist is that if I send the image to my OCR software, it turns it into text
>with almost perfect accuracy. My scan settings are Line Art at 300dpi.
>
>My scanner is legal size, a scanport 2400 and the application software is
>Uload Photoimpact SE. My printer is an HP deskjet 820cse, and the video
card
>in my system is a Diamond speedstar A50 w/8mb ram. Since the scanned
>document looks bad even when still in the scanmodule driver (before getting
>passed to the graphics application), I don't think photoimpact has anything
>to do with it.
>
>I wanted to put some of the scanned documents up on the web, but since they
>look horrible on screen I'm not sure how to proceed. Of course, they can be
>downloaded and printed and look great, but... I have downloaded old dec
>documentation that looked fine onscreen and printed fine too.
>
>Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?
>
>Jay West
>
>
Sorry about that. Wasn't paying much attention and rather assumed
that the advertiser had set the response address to itself. Glad I
also neglected to attach the images. (If you want to see them,
they're on my home page and no, I didn't create them).
OBclassic: anybody got a copy of TRS-edit (a vi clone) for the Radio
Shack Color Computer that they're not using? The current GNU
equivalents seem to crash my system during the compile, I think that
they're too big for a 512k OS-9 system, or else I've got a hardware
memory problem -- and the CoCo 3 memory kits are rather hard to find
these days.
--
Ward Griffiths <mailto:gram@cnct.com> <http://www.cnct.com/home/gram/>
WARNING: The Attorney General has determined that Alcohol, Tobacco,
and Firearms can be hazardous to your health -- and get away with it.
Hi ,can you assist .we have a old 386 with a conner 80 meg HD .We needed
to clean same and used the zero fill from disk manager on boot up. we
got message NO ROM BASIC >SYSTEM HALTED we cannot find anything on this
error message.or what we did wrong ?????? regards from africa ROY HILL
Sam,
Got 'em.
Reply with your mailing address OK?
Jon
======================================
>On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Jon Healey wrote:
>
>> If anyone wants me to pick up any let me know.
>>
>> They're 50 cents apiece plus shipping, which shouldn't
>> be much.
>>
>> There were quite a few so I don't think that supply is a
>> problem.
>>
>> Let me know soon.
>
>Sure, send me a dozen. Thanks.
>
>Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar(a)siconic.com
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Always being hassled by the man.
>
> Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
> See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
> [Last web site update: 01/15/99]
>
>
>The guy that did the high bid last time (Imsai) bought my Kaypro 2X and
>I asked him if the seller made a deal with him since it came below the
>"reserve" and believe it or not the dummy seller let a $400 bid slide.
Hi Russ ("alice"),
Well, once again I high bid on the thing -- this time it closed at $51.01 --
hey, if this keeps up, maybe after three more auctions, he'll give up and
let me (as high bidder) get it for $17.38... :-)
- Joe ("imsai")
In a message dated 99-02-06 19:56:01 EST, you write:
<< On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Ward Donald Griffiths III wrote:
> Francois wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > This gives a new meaning to the term LOG IN.
> > Ok i'll add the :) just to be sure that nobody ask me how I can Log in
into
> > a wooden laptop (:
> > By the way did you get the docking station with it?
> > Francois
> >
> > >I've found a rare transitional form between the ancient abacus and the
> > >modern laptop: the wooden laptop! OK, it's a pre-prototype mock-up of a
>
> I wouldn't feel any need to log in to a wooden computer. I'd just
> politely axe for permission to enter.
But, only if you saw it first.
- don >>
let's just hope you can login as root.
what the message you're seeing says is that you may have forgotten to
activate the partition, which you must do in all cases where you don't use
the "entire drive" in your primary partition.
try that, and see if it doesn't fix your problem.
Dick
----------
> From: royston hill <rackland(a)intekom.co.za>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: no rom basic
> Date: Sunday, February 07, 1999 10:21 AM
>
> Hi ,can you assist .we have a old 386 with a conner 80 meg HD .We needed
> to clean same and used the zero fill from disk manager on boot up. we
> got message NO ROM BASIC >SYSTEM HALTED we cannot find anything on this
> error message.or what we did wrong ?????? regards from africa ROY HILL
>> ObCC: so what did you UKans do to get your funny-looking L on
>> computers, terminals, and printers imported from ASCII-speaking
>> countries?
>
> It's character 0xA3 (decimal 163, octal 243) in ISO Latin 1, and most
> systems that don't have a special key for it map it to the "#" key. On
> older systems, quite often the drivers replace the "#" character with the
> pound symbol, but some replace the "$".
ISO Latin on a classic computer? Pull the other one!
ISTR that the IBM PC had it at decimal 156. I have seen it replace $, #, \
(Commodore VIC) and ` (IIRC FTS Series 88, which loaded the character set
>from disk at boot). Diablo 96-spoke daisywheels used either ESC-Y or ESC-Z
(Not in a position to look it up and I can't remember what the 96th spoke
was for, either)
Philip.