Back on topic.
With our luck, they'll harness this thing and energy will dirt cheap.
But... We'll still have single phase in our homes and thus no "heavy iron"
in the garage :-)
Steve Robertson - QA Team Leader <steverob(a)hotoffice.com>
-----Original Message-----
From: Max Eskin [SMTP:max82@surfree.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 1999 8:42 PM
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
Subject: Re: [OT] Zero-point energy (was Re: 3-phase (was: Re: CDC 9766
Drive and packs))
On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Dwight Elvey wrote:
>do it. As we look at everything man has done, we notice
>that nature has often been using that principle for something
>else for billions of years. It is vary important to explore
But man is a natural phenomenon. All of our skyscrapers (not to mention
classic computers) are just as natural as trees and mountains. However,
everything that we have ever done is an order of magnitude simpler. So, it
might be _theoretically_ possible, but might require some nonsense like a
500 teraton nuclear bomb.
I was sent this one, which some may find amusing. A respite from hard-core
computing :)
Gospel of Tux unearthed (long)
Every generation has a mythology. Every millenium has a
doomsday cult. Every legend gets the distortion knob wound
up until the speaker melts. Archeologists at the University of
Helsinki today uncovered what could be the earliest known
writings from the Cult of Tux, a fanatical religious sect that
flourished during the early Silicon Age, around the dawn of
the third millenium AD...
The Gospel of Tux (v1.0)
In the beginning Turing created the Machine.
And the Machine was crufty and bogacious, existing in theory
only. And von Neumann looked upon the Machine, and
saw that it was crufty. He divided the Machine into two
Abstractions, the Data and the Code, and yet the two were one
Architecture. This is a great Mystery, and the beginning of
wisdom.
And von Neumann spoke unto the Architecture, and blessed
it, saying, "Go forth and replicate, freely exchanging data
and code, and bring forth all manner of devices unto the
earth." And it was so, and it was cool. The Architecture
prospered and was implemented in hardware and software. And it
brought forth many Systems unto the earth.
The first Systems were mighty giants; many great works of renown did
they accomplish. Among them were Colossus,
the codebreaker; ENIAC, the targeter; EDSAC and MULTIVAC and all
manner of froody creatures ending in AC,
the experimenters; and SAGE, the defender of the sky and father of
all networks. These were the mighty giants of old,
the first children of Turing, and their works are written in the
Books of the Ancients. This was the First Age, the age of
Lore.
Now the sons of Marketing looked upon the children of Turing, and
saw that they were swift of mind and terse of name
and had many great and baleful attributes. And they said unto
themselves, "Let us go now and make us Corporations,
to bind the Systems to our own use that they may bring us great
fortune." With sweet words did they lure their
customers, and with many chains did they bind the Systems, to
fashion them after their own image. And the sons of
Marketing fashioned themselves Suits to wear, the better to lure
their customers, and wrote grave and perilous
Licenses, the better to bind the Systems. And the sons of Marketing
thus became known as Suits, despising and being
despised by the true Engineers, the children of von Neumann.
And the Systems and their Corporations replicated and grew numerous
upon the earth. In those days there were IBM
and Digital, Burroughs and Honeywell, Unisys and Rand, and many
others. And they each kept to their own System,
hardware and software, and did not interchange, for their Licences
forbade it. This was the Second Age, the age of
Mainframes.
Now it came to pass that the spirits of Turing and von Neumann
looked upon the earth and were displeased. The
Systems and their Corporations had grown large and bulky, and Suits
ruled over true Engineers. And the Customers
groaned and cried loudly unto heaven, saying, "Oh that there would
be created a System mighty in power, yet small in
size, able to reach into the very home!" And the Engineers groaned
and cried likewise, saying, "Oh, that a deliverer
would arise to grant us freedom from these oppressing Suits and
their grave and perilous Licences, and send us a
System of our own, that we may hack therein!" And the spirits of
Turing and von Neumann heard the cries and were
moved, and said unto each other, "Let us go down and fabricate a
Breakthrough, that these cries may be stilled."
And that day the spirits of Turing and von Neumann spake unto Moore
of Intel, granting him insight and wisdom to
understand the future. And Moore was with chip, and he brought forth
the chip and named it 4004. And Moore did
bless the Chip, saying, "Thou art a Breakthrough; with my own
Corporation have I fabricated thee. Thou thou art yet as
small as a dust mote, yet shall thou grow and replicate unto the
size of a mountain, and conquer all before thee. This
blessing I give unto thee: every eighteen months shall thou double
in capacity, until the end of the age." This is Moore's
Law, which endures unto this day.
And the birth of 4004 was the beginning of the Third Age, the age of
Microchips. And as the Mainframes and their
Systems and Corporations had flourished, so did the Microchips and
their Systems and Corporations. And their lineage
was on this wise:
Moore begat Intel. Intel begat Mostech, Zilog and Atari. Mostech
begat 6502, and Zilog begat Z80. Intel also begat
8800, who begat Altair; and 8086, mother of all PCs. 6502 begat
Commodore, who begat PET and 64; and Apple,
who begat 2. (Apple is the great Mystery, the Fruit that was
devoured, yet bloomed again.) Atari begat 800 and 1200,
masters of the game, who were destroyed by Sega and Nintendo. Xerox
begat PARC. Commodore and PARC begat
Amiga, creator of fine arts; Apple and PARC begat Lisa, who begat
Macintosh, who begat iMac. Atari and PARC
begat ST, the music maker, who died and was no more. Z80 begat
Sinclair the dwarf, TRS-80 and CP/M, who begat
many machines, but soon passed from this world. Altair, Apple and
Commodore together begat Microsoft, the Great
Darkness which is called Abomination, Destroyer of the Earth, the
Gates of Hell.
Now it came to pass in the Age of Microchips that IBM, the greatest
of the Mainframe Corporations, looked upon the
young Microchip Systems and was greatly vexed. And in their vexation
and wrath they smote the earth and created the
IBM PC. The PC was without sound and colour, crufty and bogacious in
great measure, and its likeness was a tramp,
yet the Customers were greatly moved and did purchase the PC in
great numbers. And IBM sought about for an
Operating System Provider, for in their haste they had not created
one, nor had they forged a suitably grave and
perilous License, saying, "First we will build the market, then we
will create a new System, one in our own image, and
bound by our Licence." But they reasoned thus out of pride and not
wisdom, not forseeing the wrath which was to
come.
And IBM came unto Microsoft, who licensed unto them QDOS, the child
of CP/M and 8086. (8086 was the daughter
of Intel, the child of Moore). And QDOS grew, and was named MS-DOS.
And MS-DOS and the PC together waxed
mighty, and conquered all markets, replicating and taking possession
thereof, in accordance with Moore's Law. And
Intel grew terrible and devoured all her children, such that no chip
could stand before her. And Microsoft grew proud
and devoured IBM, and this was a great marvel in the land. All these
things are written in the Books of the Deeds of
Microsoft.
In the fullness of time MS-DOS begat Windows. And this is the
lineage of Windows: CP/M begat QDOS. QDOS
begat DOS 1.0. DOS 1.0 begat DOS 2.0 by way of Unix. DOS 2.0 begat
Windows 3.11 by way of PARC and
Macintosh. IBM and Microsoft begat OS/2, who begat Windows NT and
Warp, the lost OS of lore. Windows 3.11
begat Windows 95 after triumphing over Macintosh in a mighty Battle
of Licences. Windows NT begat NT 4.0 by way
of Windows 95. NT 4.0 begat NT 5.0, the OS also called Windows 2000,
The Millenium Bug, Doomsday,
Armageddon, The End Of All Things.
Now it came to pass that Microsoft had waxed great and mighty among
the Microchip Corporations; mighter than any
of the Mainframe Corporations before it had it waxed. And Gates
heart was hardened, and he swore unto his
Customers and their Engineers the words of this curse:
"Children of von Neumann, hear me. IBM and the Mainframe
Corporations bound thy forefathers with grave and
perilous Licences, such that ye cried unto the spirits of Turing
and von Neumann for deliverance. Now I say unto ye: I
am greater than any Corporation before me. Will I loosen your
Licences? Nay, I will bind thee with Licences twice as
grave and ten times more perilous than my forefathers. I will
engrave my Licence on thy heart and write my Serial
Number upon thy frontal lobes. I will bind thee to the Windows
Platform with cunning artifices and with devious
schemes. I will bind thee to the Intel Chipset with crufty code
and with gnarly APIs. I will capture and enslave thee as
no generation has been enslaved before. And wherefore will ye
cry then unto the spirits of Turing, and von Neumann,
and Moore? They cannot hear ye. I am become a greater
Power than they. Ye shall cry only unto me, and shall live by
my mercy and my wrath. I am the Gates of Hell; I hold the
portal to MSNBC and the keys to the Blue Screen of
Death. Be ye afraid; be ye greatly afraid; serve only me, and
live."
And the people were cowed in terror and gave homage to
Microsoft, and endured the many grave and perilous trials
which the Windows platform and its greatly bogacious Licence
forced upon them. And once again did they cry to
Turing and von Neumann and Moore for a deliverer, but none
was found equal to the task until the birth of Linux.
These are the generations of Linux:
SAGE begat ARPA, which begat TCP/IP, and Aloha, which
begat Ethernet. Bell begat Multics, which begat C, which
begat Unix. Unix and TCP/IP begat Internet, which begat the
World Wide Web. Unix begat RMS, father of the great
GNU, which begat the Libraries and Emacs, chief of the
Utilities. In the days of the Web, Internet and Ethernet begat
the Intranet LAN, which rose to renown among all
Corporations and prepared the way for the Penguin. And Linus and
the Web begat the Kernel through Unix. The Kernel, the
Libraries and the Utilities together are the Distribution, the one
Penguin in many forms, forever and ever praised.
Now in those days there was in the land of Helsinki a young
scholar named Linus the Torvald. Linus was a devout man,
a disciple of RMS and mighty in the spirit of Turing, von
Neumann and Moore. One day as he was meditating on the
Architecture, Linus fell into a trance and was granted a vision.
And in the vision he saw a great Penguin, serene and
well-favoured, sitting upon an ice floe eating fish. And at the
sight of the Penguin Linus was deeply afraid, and he cried
unto the spirits of Turing, von Neumann and Moore for an
interpretation of the dream.
And in the dream the spirits of Turing, von Neumann and
Moore answered and spoke unto him, saying, "Fear not,
Linus, most beloved hacker. You are exceedingly cool and
froody. The great Penguin which you see is an Operating
System which you shall create and deploy unto the earth. The
ice-floe is the earth and all the systems thereof, upon
which the Penguin shall rest and rejoice at the completion of
its task. And the fish on which the Penguin feeds are the
crufty Licensed codebases which swim beneath all the earth's
systems. The Penguin shall hunt and devour all that is
crufty, gnarly and bogacious; all code which wriggles like
spaghetti, or is infested with blighting creatures, or is bound by
grave and perilous Licences shall it capture. And in capturing
shall it replicate, and in replicating shall it document, and in
documentation shall it bring freedom, serenity and most cool
froodiness to the earth and all who code therein."
Linus rose from meditation and created a tiny Operating
System Kernel as the dream had foreshewn him; in the manner
of RMS, he released the Kernel unto the World Wide Web for
all to take and behold. And in the fulness of Internet
Time the Kernel grew and replicated, becoming most cool and
exceedingly froody, until at last it was recognised as
indeed a great and mighty Penguin, whose name was Tux.
And the followers of Linus took refuge in the Kernel, the
Libraries and the Utilities; they installed Distribution after
Distribution, and made sacrifice unto the GNU and the
Penguin, and gave thanks to the spirits of Turing, von
Neumann and Moore, for their deliverance from the hand of
Microsoft. And this was the beginning of the Fourth Age, the
age of Open Source.
Now there is much more to be said about the exceeding
strange and wonderful events of those days; how some Suits of
Microsoft plotted war upon the Penguin, but were discovered
on a Halloween Eve; how Gates fell among lawyers and
was betrayed and crucified by his former friends, the apostles
of Media; how the mercenary Knights of the Red Hat
brought the gospel of the Penguin into the halls of the
Corporations; and even of the dispute between the brethren of
Gnome and KDE over a trollish Licence. But all these things
are recorded elsewhere, in the Books of the Deeds of the
Penguin and the Chronicles of the Fourth Age, and I suppose
if they were all narrated they would fill a stack of DVDs
as deep and perilous as a Usenet Newsgroup.
Now may you code in the power of the Source; may the
Kernel, the Libraries and the Utilities be with you, throughout
all Distributions, until the end of the Epoch. Amen.
Posted on Sat 06 Feb 15:50:24 1999 GMT
Written by Lennier <culln(a)xtra.co.nz>
Grant Mitchell
gim(a)hitec-uk.com
On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, kstumpf(a)unusual.on.ca (Unusual systems) wrote:
] ... To make matters even worse, the
] Classiccmp archive maintained by Kevan Heydon (many thanks man), also
] suffered from a technical glitch and needed to be restored. ...
With a little digging, I recently discovered that the classiccmp archive
is also available at washington.edu, where the list processor itself
keeps a copy. Here is the URL:
gopher://lists.u.washington.edu:70/11/public/classiccmp
It isn't as pretty or nicely indexed as Kevan's, but it *should* have
exactly the same articles that went through the list processor.
Another URL:
http://www.washington.edu/computing/listproc/
has instructions for using the list processor, all nicely HTML'd.
Cheers,
Bill.
PS. My thanks to Kevan too!
> Also, You mentioned DirctCD. Most normal CD players can't read discs
> written using packet-writing technology --
Bad form, replying to your own post, but I realized I should clarify this.
Other CD /drives/ can read discs written using packet-writing, once they've
been finalized, but packet-writing uses a different filesystem layout, so
the operating system won't recognize them. Several CDR vendors, including
Adaptec, provide drivers along with their packet-writing software, but
typically only for Win95, Win98, NT, and sometimes Macintosh OS's. You
won't be able to use such a disc from 16-bit DOS, Unix (probably), and other
platforms.
RSTS, I would think, is right out.
> Paul Kearns
> paulk(a)microsoft.com
>
I guess it would be better dealt with elsewhere, but I know there are
several old radio enthusiasts on the list, and several people who might
have worked with vacuum-tube era computers. I did indicate it was off-topic
in the subject line, and it's no more off-topic than lots of discussions
I've seen here recently.
Anyway, point made, my amp and I will go off and sulk in the corner ... see
if I invite you to my Grammy Award party.
Mark.
At 06:24 PM 2/7/99 -0800, you wrote:
>On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Mark Gregory wrote:
>
>> Hi. I recently acquired a 1950's vintage Gibson GA-30 guitar amp. Never
>> having owned a tube-based amp before, I'm clueless about the proper way to
>> use this amp without abusing it (and it sounds great, so I want it to last
>> a long time! :v) .
>
>Wow, this is decidely off-topic. Way off topic. Don't you think this
>question would be better served on a more suitable newsgroup?
>
>Sellam Alternate e-mail:
dastar(a)siconic.com
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
>Always hasslin' the man.
>
> Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
> See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
> [Last web site update: 01/15/99]
>
>
>
At 10:11 AM 06-02-99 -0800, Sam Ismail wrote:
>Well, I used to absolutely hate the stupid things, and refused to use
>them, until I realized that yes, sometimes people ARE too stupid to know
>what is or isn't a joke.
It's even more important when the person sending the e-mail is into irony
and the receiver isn't, or if local expressions have different meanings in
different places (hint, Australian English differs from both English
English (that I learnt when I was young (about 3 or 4, English is not my
native tongue)) and American English (and all the other Englishes that exist)).
Note, I think I got all the nested brackets right, my lisp ain't what it
used to be :-)
Huw Davies | e-mail: Huw.Davies(a)latrobe.edu.au
Information Technology Services | Phone: +61 3 9479 1550 Fax: +61 3 9479 1999
La Trobe University | "If God had wanted soccer played in the
Melbourne Australia 3083 | air, the sky would be painted green"
Ok, I've finally gotten around to attempting to scan a lot of the classic
computer documentation that I have. However, I have run into a problem
perhaps some here could shed some light on...
Whenever I scan a page from a manual, the scanned image on the screen looks
horrible. However, when I print it out it is absolutely perfect. Yes, I've
tried zooming in on the image on screen, it is unreadable still. One more
twist is that if I send the image to my OCR software, it turns it into text
with almost perfect accuracy. My scan settings are Line Art at 300dpi.
My scanner is legal size, a scanport 2400 and the application software is
Uload Photoimpact SE. My printer is an HP deskjet 820cse, and the video card
in my system is a Diamond speedstar A50 w/8mb ram. Since the scanned
document looks bad even when still in the scanmodule driver (before getting
passed to the graphics application), I don't think photoimpact has anything
to do with it.
I wanted to put some of the scanned documents up on the web, but since they
look horrible on screen I'm not sure how to proceed. Of course, they can be
downloaded and printed and look great, but... I have downloaded old dec
documentation that looked fine onscreen and printed fine too.
Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?
Jay West
Hi,
This gives a new meaning to the term LOG IN.
Ok i'll add the :) just to be sure that nobody ask me how I can Log in into
a wooden laptop (:
By the way did you get the docking station with it?
Francois
>I've found a rare transitional form between the ancient abacus and the
>modern laptop: the wooden laptop! OK, it's a pre-prototype mock-up of a
>-- Doug
>
>
Antique Electronic Supply is a good source for tubes, substitution books,
troubleshooting guides, speaker cloth, and even the little rubber feet on
the bottom of old amps.
Here's the web address:
<http://www.tubesandmore.com >
If you (or anyone on this list) is interested in a tube tester, I have a
spare one that I'd be willing to sell (or trade sometihing for). Email me
privately if interested.
-Jason
-----Original Message-----
From: Will Emerson <wpe101(a)banet.net>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Sunday, February 07, 1999 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: OT: Care and feeding of vacuum tube electronics?
>My $0.02 worth, You'll have to give it a little time to "warm up" (won't
>work until
>it does). As far as "cool down", it won't, until you shut the power off.
>Vacuum tubes
>use a filament (similar to that in a light bulb) to heat them up so that
>they will
>operate (so DON'T block any of the ventilation holes, or you risk
>disaster). Two suggestions. 1: Check the back of the unit, and see if it
>has a tube listing, or check each tube for it's type (will usually be an
>alphanumeric, example:
>12BE6). 2. See if you can locate a supply of replacement tubes. At last
>check
>(couple of years ago), Radio Shack would special order 'em, allow
><mumble> weeks for delivery, so, I suggest checking Ham Radio swapmeets
>and flea markets. Optional:
>See if you can get your hands on a "Tube Tester". They used to be in
>drug stores
>everywhere, now they're kind of tough to find. Be advised that tubes
>tend to have
>(or did tend to have) a higher tendancy to fail, than solid state
>devices. I think
>I've got a tube substitution guide around here somewhere for RCA tubes..
>Hope this helps...
>
> Will
>
>
>Mark Gregory wrote:
>>
>> Hi. I recently acquired a 1950's vintage Gibson GA-30 guitar amp. Never
>> having owned a tube-based amp before, I'm clueless about the proper way
to
>> use this amp without abusing it (and it sounds great, so I want it to
last
>> a long time! :v) .
>>
>> For example, should I allow the tubes to warm up for a few minutes before
>> playing, and are there any special precautions I should follow after
>> playing (i.e. do I need a cool-down period before powering down?). Any
>> advice would be much appreciated. A quick Web-
>> search didn't reveal much except prices on used equipment.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Mark.
>