> FWIW I've been told that the pen stylus was a stock Cross brand pen with
>a plastic insert.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. There's the pen-sized stylus -- which I have -- and
then there's a little stylus thing that's supposed to fit into a small space
on the flat closing part of the watch band. I don't have the latter.
- Joe
-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph S. Barrera III <joe(a)barrera.org>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Tuesday, 9 February 1999 5:10
Subject: OT: Nasty Hangnail; Cuban Cigarettes; Caberet Voltaire and
KISS?
>Hi, I have a few OT questions. I hope no one minds.
Not me. Well, not much.
>1. I have a nasty hangnail that won't go away. Any suggestions how to
get
>rid of it?
If you mean an overgrown finger/toe nail, sidecutters work well. On the
nail, that is. Amputation of the extremity is probably not justified in
this case.
>2. Everyone know about Cuban cigars... but are Cuban cigarettes better
than
>American cigarettes? Are they also illegal?
Nope. Not here. Neither are Cuban cigars for that matter. Just
expensive. Most tobacconists don't stock many. Smoking in many public
places is illegal these days however.
>3. I've heard rumors that Cabaret Voltaire and KISS are going on tour
>together soon! Is it true? How can I get tickets?
Can't help with this one.
P.S. It's not hard to type tounge in cheek, talking that way is much
more difficult.
Cheers
Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Marks College
Port Pirie South Australia.
My ICQ# is 1970476
Ph. 61-411-623-978 (Mobile)
61-8-8633-0619 (Home)
61-8-8633-8834 (Work-Direct)
61-8-8633-0104 (Fax)
Hi,
I'm thinking of putting together an FAQ-like document intended to combat
the stupid ideas people have about computers. So, does anyone have any ideas
for common misconceptions about computers that I should address? So far, I
have the places various things originated (i.e. IBM did _not_ invent the
PC, Apple did _not_ invent the GUI, etc.)
--Max Eskin (max82(a)surfree.com)
While the OS is off-topic, the machines it will run on aren't. Finally
people can get something other than System 7.0.1 for free. I just got this
>from the Apple Developer news:
----------------------------------------
[2] Mac OS 7.5.3 Posted for Free Downloading
Apple has posted the full North American English version of System
7.5.3 to its web site for free downloading.
http://swupdates.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/lister.pl?Apple_Support_Area/Apple_…
are_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Vers
ion_7.5.3/
The Mac OS System 7.5.5 update has also been posted.
http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/En…
-North_American/Macintosh/System/System_7.5.5_Update/
(Apple recommends that all users who install System 7.5.3 to also load
the System 7.5.5 update.)
----------------------------------------
I don't remember if 7.5.5 is the last version prior to 7.6 or not. This
will also run on all but the newest PowerMacs (again Off Topic). In fact I
think it runs on everything but G3 systems, the 128 and 512, but won't
guarentee it.
So while this has been a primarily off-topic message, I figure it's of
interest to enough people to post.
Zane
| Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Adminstrator |
| healyzh(a)aracnet.com (primary) | Linux Enthusiast |
| healyzh(a)holonet.net (alternate) | Classic Computer Collector |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------+
| Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing, |
| and Zane's Computer Museum. |
| http://www.dragonfire.net/~healyzh/ |
I'll see your $50, and raise you $15 (Canadian):
my A1200/HD40 was $10 at a thrift, and the power supply (bought later) was
another $5.
I love being behind the technology curve!
:v)
Mark.
At 12:19 PM 2/8/99 -0800, you wrote:
>:: Wash out your mouth with strong soap. Sacrilege !
>:: Make the holy sign to keep away demons. Emulators BAD , emulators BAAAD !!
>
>I couldn't find an ST for sale that I could shell out for. :-)
>
>My A1200/HD40, though, cost me just $50 at a swap meet. Best $50 I ever
>spent. :-)
>
>--
>-------------------------- personal page:
http://calvin.ptloma.edu/~spectre/ --
>Cameron Kaiser Database Programmer/Administrative
Computing
>Point Loma Nazarene University Fax: +1 619 849
2581
>ckaiser(a)ptloma.edu Phone: +1 619 849
2539
>-- We only pretend to have standards. -- Unknown producer, ABC-TV
-------------
>
>
Thanks Ward and Tony,
I guess the original problem was the nut between the keyboard and the
chair. Who'd thought there was a Y-1987 problem.
I downloaded LS-DOS and TRSCROSS and got them transferred to the TL/2.
Using TRSCROSS, I am able to format disks that are readable by the Model IV
on that system. Now, I need a little help getting LS-DOS to boot on the IV.
When I tried to copy LS-DOS to a disk (using TRSCROSS), it told me the file
name was not valid.
Assuming the file needs to be renamed, what should the file name be?
Is there anything special I need to do to make this a bootable image?
If someone could provide step-by-step instructions, I'd really appreciate
it...
Thanks,
Steve Robertson - QA Team Leader <steverob(a)hotoffice.com>
-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Duell [SMTP:ard@p850ug1.demon.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, February 05, 1999 4:44 PM
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
Subject: Re: Need a copy of TRSDOS 6 OS
>
> I am having a little trouble with my TRS Model IV . When I boot off of
the
Having just restored one, maybe I can help...
> TRSDOS system disk, the system prompts for the time and won't go any
> farther. When I enter the time, it clears the field and prompts again.
Normally it prompts for the date first (actually, both the date and time
prompts can be enabled/disabled by the appropriate command...).
Are you giving it a valid date or time? Note that a lot of TRS-DOS 6/
LS-DOS 6 versions will only take dates between 1980 and 1987. Try a date
in that range.
The best fix for that is to upgrade to LS-DOS 6.3.1. You can get a disk
image (and the source) from Tim Mann's web site. To get the disk image to
a real disk you can use either xtrs (a trs-80 emulator which uses X) under
linux, or a little program I've written, also for a linux box, that
simply writes disk images to real disks. Let me know if you (or anyone
else) wants the latter.
> The computer works just fine with all my other software so, I suspect the
> disk is corrupt. If anyone has an extra copy of TRSDOS 6.x laying around,
> I'd really appreciate it.
If you really can't get it locally, I can write you an LS-DOS 6.3.1 disk
and post it to you. Of course the post might well mangle it :-(
>
> TIA, Steve Robertson
>
> <steverob(a)hotoffice.com>
>
>
-tony
Francois,
Thanks. Very informative. This one fits me> $-) . I was in a car
accident, this was DEFINITELY NOT by my choice. My $! did a good job. $! is
only 1/2 done though.
I will study and learn these cute ditties.
John Amirault
-----Original Message-----
From: Francois <fauradon(a)pclink.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Friday, February 05, 1999 5:44 PM
Subject: Re: Need a copy of TRSDOS 6 OS
>Hi,
>Check this site out
>http://wwws.enterprise.net/fortknox/emoticon/smiley.html
>Francois
>
>>Sam,
>>I am still a newbie to this group and the internet. Please answer this
>question.
>>What does :) mean?
>>John Amirault
>>
>
>
>
Anybody have or use M$ Word for Windows ver. 7.0, aka Word for Windows 95?
Please email me off the list. Thanks!
--Chris
-- --
Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
Jamestown, NY USA cfandt(a)netsync.net
Member of Antique Wireless Association
URL: http://www.ggw.org/freenet/a/awa/
-----Original Message-----
From: SUPRDAVE(a)aol.com [SMTP:SUPRDAVE@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, February 08, 1999 10:36 AM
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
Subject: Re: RE[2]: [OT] Zero-point energy (was Re: 3-phase (was: Re: CDC
9766 Drive a...
In a message dated 99-02-08 08:45:25 EST, you write:
<< > Back on the three phase issue, many shops use another
> 3phase induction motor method to create needed three phases.
> Some don't even use a starting capacitor. They simple
> spin the motor with a pull rope and switch on the current.
>>
I've a small drill press with a (bad?) capacitor start motor that only
seems
to start up once out of every 300 presses of the on switch. does spinning
the
motor and then cycling the power really work??
Yes, it'll generally work with small motors like a Drill Press.
While caps and pull-starting a motor will probably work, I'd be real
reluctant to do this with a machine that I cared about. Rotary 3-phase
converters (motor/generator) are not *that* expensive and can probably be
bought at equipment auctions and liquidations.
These commercial generators will provide the proper phase and voltages and
could save an irreplacable piece of equipment from serious damage. It
sounds like good insurance to me...
Steve Robertson - <steverob(a)hotoffice.com>