A similar subject came up in a local newsgroup here a few weeks ago. I have
attached one message below that might be of interest.
>> You done exactly right on everything except LLF which is big NO
>> No on modern drives, potientially losing it!
>
>I wish just for once that someone would actually cite a specific drive
>model for which this is true. I've LLF'd many of them with no ill
>effects.
>
Forwarded message:
-----Original Message-----
From: Rod Speed <rodspeed(a)ozemail.com.au>
Newsgroups: aus.computers.ibm-pc
Date: Saturday, 23 January 1999 19:58
Subject: Re: FDISK-Write protect error
>
>Joseph Henle <jhen(a)mailzone.com> wrote in message
>news:78bhko$s73$1@east42.supernews.com...
>
>> I am trying to fdisk a hard drive which indicated there is a non dos
>> partition. When I try to fdisk i get " write protect error writting
fixed
>> disk" I have also tried fdisk/mbr and i get same message. Any
suggestions?
>
>Probably best to completely clean out the first physical sector on the
>hard drive and the first few tracks and start again from scratch with
fdisk.
>Fdisk can get rather confused in some situations and thats the easy fix.
>
>The simplest way to do this is to use clearhdd from
>http://www.sec.samsung.co.kr/support/faqs/faq_view.cgi?no=99&kno=3
>
>Note that this claims its a low level format utility.
>It isnt, all it does is write zeros in the first few
>tracks. It just describes what it does rather poorly.
>
>
Hi, folks,
OK, got another one up for grabs. This one's a big Motorola 68000
'ExorMACS' manual. This thing is three inches thick, and weighs in at
nearly 9 pounds unpacked. I've not gone through it in detail, but I can
tell you that it is vintage 1980 or so.
Same deal as before; best offer takes it. If anyone would like me to look
through it for something specific prior to their buying it, that's fine.
Thanks in advance.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio:(WD6EOS) E-mail: kyrrin(a)bluefeathertech.com
SysOp: The Dragon's Cave (Fido 1:343/272, 253-639-9905)
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."
Just going from my experience. I recently installed Linux on a 1.2gb IDE drive. Then I fdisk-ed and removed all partitions. Then formatted and got same NO ROM BASIC. This is the drive I used the low level format on and it has been working great with no problems since.
-----Original Message-----
From: PG Manney [SMTP:manney@hmcltd.net]
Sent: Monday, February 08, 1999 6:33 PM
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
Subject: Re: no rom basic
>Some hard drives will cause the above message if the 0 track has been
altered (written over) linux is >well know for this and the only way I know
to resolve this is to low level format the drive. A lot of 386 and >early
486 Award BIOS machines have an option of hard drive utility. If you do
you're all set. I chose a 3 >for the interleave value.
Not on an IDE, though! That's a LLF.
Recent finds and far more on topic!
Ti99/4a with a slew of carts and docs... I already have three!
Commadore 128, 1571 disk, some docs and software.
This puppy is one I've wanted to play with and plan to keep.
Allison
Greetings,
Attached is an archive posting regarding belts for the HP-85 calc.
Has anyone found a source for these belts with less than $50.00
minimum orders?
Thanks all.
Michael Grigoni
Cybertheque Museum
There was some discussion a few weeks ago about the Y2K problem as it
affected airlines. Someone said that no airlines would be flying due to lack
of insurance.
I just heard from TWA (took 'em a week. Suppose they've been getting lessons
>from HP?) They said they were not aware of it.
manney
>Some hard drives will cause the above message if the 0 track has been
altered (written over) linux is >well know for this and the only way I know
to resolve this is to low level format the drive. A lot of 386 and >early
486 Award BIOS machines have an option of hard drive utility. If you do
you're all set. I chose a 3 >for the interleave value.
Not on an IDE, though! That's a LLF.
In a message dated 99-02-08 08:45:25 EST, you write:
<< > Back on the three phase issue, many shops use another
> 3phase induction motor method to create needed three phases.
> Some don't even use a starting capacitor. They simple
> spin the motor with a pull rope and switch on the current.
>>
I've a small drill press with a (bad?) capacitor start motor that only seems
to start up once out of every 300 presses of the on switch. does spinning the
motor and then cycling the power really work??
G'day,
I've got a book
"Sistema Malykh Elektronnykh Vychislitel'nykh Mashin (SM EVM) -- Katalog
razrabotannykh i ispytannykh tekhnicheskikh i programmnykh sredstv", 1979.
("Small Computers Series: Catalog of designed and tested hardware and
software")
It covers machines of first "pass" -- SM-1, SM-2 (HP 2100s), SM-3 and SM-4
(Unibus PDP-11s).
I've attached its table of contents with my notes. The file is in koi8-r
charset; it is best viewed in Lynx 2.8.1, even if you don't have Cyrillic
fonts.
--
Sergey Svishchev -- svs{at}ropnet{dot}ru