>Especially given how much money I had to pay for them; as HPs go, second
only
>to my HP-01 watch. I'm keeping them in a safe place!
What, you don't wear your HP-01? What's the point in having one, then?
- Joe
P.S. My HP-01 didn't come with the little key-presser stylus thingie. What's
the best hack replacement anyone has come up with?
>On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Mark Gregory wrote:
>> Hi. I recently acquired a 1950's vintage Gibson GA-30 guitar amp. Never
>> having owned a tube-based amp before, I'm clueless about the proper way to
>> use this amp without abusing it (and it sounds great, so I want it to last
>> a long time! :v) .
Sam said:
>Wow, this is decidely off-topic. Way off topic. Don't you think this
>question would be better served on a more suitable newsgroup?
(This reply is Digest delayed)
This is not off topic! We don't talk enough about vacuum tubes!(..imho..)
First, amplifiers are the most basic element of any electronic analog
computer.
Second, where can anyone draw the OT line between vacuum tubes and LSI chips?
RTL,DTL,TTL, or transistors in general?
:)
Mark,
Check out Vacuum Tube Valley http://www.vacuumtube.com/
--Doug
=========================================
Doug Coward
Press Start Inc.
Sunnyvale,CA
=========================================
Questions on Intel 4004 chip:
-Am I correct in assuming that 4004 is no longer manufactured by Intel?
-How many were made?
-Is it true that this chip is used the Voyager spacecraft?
David
davidfreibrun(a)home.com
http://altaircomputers.org
-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Ismail <dastar(a)ncal.verio.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Wednesday, February 10, 1999 7:23 AM
Subject: Re: Intel 4004
>On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, David Freibrun wrote:
>
>> You have an Intel 4004? Where did you obtain this?
>
>The answer is right inside the message to which you are replying. Look...
>
>> >I would *love* some 4004 tools. I have a 4004 that I plan to build
>> >into a project someday. It came out of a non-UPC grocery store barcode
>> >scanner I bought at the Dayton Hamfest in 1983.
>
>Sellam Alternate e-mail:
dastar(a)siconic.com
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
>Always hasslin' the man.
>
> Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
> See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
> [Last web site update: 01/15/99]
>
You'll need to find someone local with a pickup truck, since you probably
won't find anyone willing to pay what it costs to ship it. I paid $385 to
ship mine from Pennsylvania to Denver. The "Draftmaster" 7596, I believe,
that we had at work weighed considerably more than mine, though it didn't
plot faster, or, in any detectable way, differently. It cost and weighed
more, and was more massive in its appearance. It was, however, an
excellent device.
one more thing . . . imbedded below.
Dick
----------
> From: Athanasios Kotsenos <a.kotsenos(a)rca.ac.uk>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: HP plotters
> Date: Tuesday, February 09, 1999 11:56 AM
>
<snip>
>
> >I do have the manuals for the 758x series, by the way.
>
> I should have the manuals for both, but I've only definitely found one of
them.
> I actually found the info for printing the test page on their web site.
>
Well, I've had several people inquire about reproducing the two massive
manuals, nearly 1k pages each. I sent the manuals (user guide not
included) a Programming Manual and a Technical manual, the latter of which
has numerous 11"x33" foldout drawings, and they have sat at the printer's
for a couple of months waiting for an estimate on reproducing them to be
finalized. It won't be cheap because of those foldouts, which are
half-tones.
>
> So, if anybody wants them...
>
> Nasos.
>
Yes . . . that's how I remember it, too. Those irritating core dumps were
always recongnizable as they went through the line printer, since they
sounded like a chef chopping celery.
I never did get to where I could actually gain anything from a core dump.
I guess it hasn't changed much, though the dumps Windows95 gives you when a
process goes askew aren't as long.
Dick
----------
> From: Lawrence LeMay <lemay(a)cs.umn.edu>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: Piece of classic FORTRAN code
> Date: Tuesday, February 09, 1999 9:47 AM
>
> > ::Those were the days . . . FORTRAN-II, SCOPE OS, COMPASS assembler . .
Golly! That does bring back the memories . . . but wasn't the CDC6xxx
family 64 bits? I cut my teeth on that one, back in the mid 1960's and it
seems that it (the 6600) was a dual-processor version of the 64-bit 6400.
Those were the days . . . FORTRAN-II, SCOPE OS, COMPASS assembler . . .
batch processing . . . (that meant you wrote your code on a 24-line
80-column "coding sheet" and, when finished, gave them to a woman behind a
door with a small window in it . . . and got your error listing a few days
later) . . . I'd have given a week's pay for an hour in that room behind
the door . . . mini-skirts . . . (you do remember keypunch operators and
Hollerith cards, don't you?)
Dick
----------
> From: Sergey Svishchev <svs(a)ropnet.ru>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Piece of classic FORTRAN code
> Date: Tuesday, February 09, 1999 2:34 AM
>
> G'day,
>
> IF (COMPLF(-1).LE.2) IF (RSHIFT(COMPLF(0),32)-15) 360,1108,6600
> C IF (NOT(-1).LE.2) IF (ISHFT(NOT(0),-32)-15) 360,1108,6600
> 7094 PRINT *,'IBM 7094'
> STOP
> 360 PRINT *,'IBM 360 (32 BITS)'
> STOP
> 1108 PRINT *,'UNIVAC 1108 (48 BITS)'
> STOP
> 6600 PRINT *,'CDC 6600 (60 BITS)'
> STOP
>
> --
> Sergey Svishchev -- svs{at}ropnet{dot}ru
On Tuesday, February 09, 1999 3:25 PM, Michael A. Rivas Sr
[SMTP:mrivas@caribe.net] wrote:
> my brother got a hold of a tandy 1000. when booted up it asks for a boot
disk which he does not have. i have two questions
> 1) what can i do about the boot disk?
> 2) what does a tandy 1000 go for?
> << File: ATT00001.html >> << File: ATT00002.gif >>
Michael,
1.) I've had several different 1000s and each of them would boot from ROM
if a disk wasn't available. Since the ROM included a FORMAT command, you
could make your own bootable disk.
Some of the models might have worked a little differently. Exactly which
model do you have (1000TL / 1000HD / 1000RL ...)?
2.) There were about a trillion of these things made so, the value is
pretty low. I have seen them for as little as $10 at the flea market
without a monitor or hard drive. The monitor could cost another $10 to $15.
The hard drive with OS might add another $10.
So, the value of the complete working system would probably be in the $30 -
$50 range...
Regards,
Steve Robertson - <steverob(a)hotoffice.com>
>> ... my lovely 128DCR ...
>
>128 DCR ?
>Data Casette Recorder ?
>Detatched Cigartop Remover ?
>Did Commodore Retire ?
My TVC-15?
- Joe
P.S. I swear, one day I'll post something useful to this list.
Hi, I have a few OT questions. I hope no one minds.
1. I have a nasty hangnail that won't go away. Any suggestions how to get
rid of it?
2. Everyone know about Cuban cigars... but are Cuban cigarettes better than
American cigarettes? Are they also illegal?
3. I've heard rumors that Cabaret Voltaire and KISS are going on tour
together soon! Is it true? How can I get tickets?
- Joe
P.S. Consider this an experiment in the refusal to use emoticons.