Folks, this looks like a good one. Sounds like the fellow's getting
rid of a whole bunch of docs that are right up the 'Classic' alley.
Check the URL listed in the message itself if you're interested.
-=-=- <snip> -=-=-
On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 05:55:54 GMT, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc you wrote:
>>x-no-archive: yes
>>
>>I have hundreds of computer-related books for sale for the following computers:
>>
>> Amiga
>> Atari 8-bit
>> Apple II series & IIGS
>> Commodore 64/128
>> IBM compatible
>> TI-99/4A
>>
>>The majority of my computer books are for IBM and Apple series. There are a
>>handful of books for the other computers listed.
>>
>>I also have a few dozen electronic data books, mostly from the 1980's. I'd be
>>happy with $2 or $3 each for most of the data books.
>>
>>I have a large number of books about DBase III+ and IV books, older releases of
>>AutoCAD, and programming languages such as C and Pascal. There are also a
>>handful of technical, electronic, physics and math text books.
>>
>>In general I don't expect a whole lot for old books of any kind, so I'm looking
>>for offers in the $1-$5 each range on most, with the exception of some of the
>>more valuable reference/text books.
>>
>>I am trying to sell some of my books because I'm going to be moving
>>long-distance in a few months and I need to thin them out. I am trying to
>>organize my book list by computer type and sort out the ones I want to keep from
>>the ones I want to sell. Unfortunately the list is a bit mixed up at this point,
>>but if you have a little patience you can use your browser to search through it.
>>Then make offers on anything that interests you and I'll let you know if I will
>>sell it for that.
>>
>>A word of warning: Most of my stuff is at least 5 years old, so if you are
>>looking for new or cutting edge stuff, I probably won't have it. If you
>>are looking for rare, older stuff, I might have it. Check out my web
>>page for lists and details at:
>>
>> http://www.silcom.com/~tiger
>>
>>The email address provided above is invalid to discourage spam. My real email
>>address can be found on my web page. Thank you.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho,
Blue Feather Technologies -- kyrrin (at) bluefeathertech [dot] com
Web: http://www.bluefeathertech.com
"...No matter how we may wish otherwise, our science can only describe an object,
event, or living thing in our own human terms. It cannot possibly define any of them..."
I'm petrified you wood bring this up again, Doug...
----- Original Message -----
From: Doug <doug(a)blinkenlights.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 1999 8:19 PM
Subject: Re: Intel 4004
>So, where were you during the wooden laptop pun fest? I was waiting for
>the one about counting the rings instead of using date codes for wood
>chips.
>
>-- Doug
>
>On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Andrew Davie wrote:
>
>> "Would you like 4004s with that?"
>> A
>> --
>>
>> PS: It's a pun. Here in Australia, fries are actually called "chips".
>
>And while an audio amplifier performs a very simple analogue computing
>function, I still think it's mildly off-topic. NOTE : I am not flaming
>anyone for going off-topic, just stating what I think the boundary should
be.
>
Well, I can relate it in one way to classic computing. I've got an ancient
Bell (late 40's) tube amp connected to an old ad-lib card in my 1985 IBM
5170 so I can get better sound than with the teeny 2" speaker that came with
the card (yes - it has a mono output).
--
-Jason Willgruber
(roblwill(a)usaor.net)
ICQ#: 1730318
<http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
"Would you like 4004s with that?"
A
--
PS: It's a pun. Here in Australia, fries are actually called "chips".
-----Original Message-----
From: Doug <doug(a)blinkenlights.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Wednesday, February 10, 1999 3:21 PM
Subject: Re: Intel 4004
>On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, David Freibrun wrote:
>
>> You have an Intel 4004? Where did you obtain this?
>
>Everybody in the Valley has a bunch of them, David. We get them at Fry's.
>
>-- Doug
>
>
A new addition to the collection, but missing the documentation...
a 'Calculo Analog Computer Kit' from 'The Science Materials Center: a
division of the Library of Science' in New York.
The box indicates that the unit was copyrighted in 1959. Made up of a
couple of lever switches, three potentiometers, a meter, and a pair of
flashlight batterys.
Looks like the docs probably detailed assembly notes, principles of
operation, and expirements.
Anyone familiar with this critter, and perhaps have a copy of the manuals
for it?
(pictures soon)
-jim
---
jimw(a)agora.rdrop.com
The Computer Garage - http://www.rdrop.com/~jimw
Computer Garage Fax - (503) 646-0174
-----Original Message-----
From: Ward D. Griffiths III <gram(a)cnct.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Tuesday, February 09, 1999 12:35 PM
Subject: RE: question about a tandy 1000
>The original Tandy 1000, 1000HD and a couple of others didn't have
>the DOS ROM, that was added a couple of years into the history of
>the product line. But any stock 360k MS-DOS will work, though
>there were a few utilities unique to the 1000 on the official
>version. But every Radio Shack store is supposed to have a CD
>that can be used to recreate old Tandy DOS, Setup and utility
>disks for any of the Tandy PC compatibles -- this of course leaves
>out the Tandy 2000 and any of Tandy's real computers.
>
They are? They told me I had to special-order disks from RS-Unlimited for
$10 each.
>Where do we suddenly get two people in one day with attached
>graphics? And the one _must_ have been reading this list for a
>while, he'd copied a quote that I composed while listening to the
>song I took it from. And you don't find Michael Longcor tapes at
>your local Sam Goody's.
He was probably using a HTML-compatible compatible (such as IE) to read the
mail, and just hit "reply". It's the sidebar stationary image file.
--
-Jason Willgruber
(roblwill(a)usaor.net)
ICQ#: 1730318
<http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Ismail <dastar(a)ncal.verio.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Tuesday, February 09, 1999 12:33 PM
Subject: RE: question about a tandy 1000
>
>I believe only the Tandy 1000HX had DOS 2.11 in ROM. All other T1000's do
>not.
>
The TL series had DOS 3.x and part of DeskMate in ROM.
--
-Jason Willgruber
(roblwill(a)usaor.net)
ICQ#: 1730318
<http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
<Yes, you type 'go 64' in the 128 screen or you have a key down when you tur
<it on. If you don't have a manual, I could look it up for you but there ar
<two ways of getting into 64 mode, as I recall. There were few games writte
I do have the manual or two and aat least two games.
Allison
Actually, I'm not that excitable about making old hardware work. I am
interested when someone does some of the things I did with parts with which
I didn't. I didn't get interested in microprocessors until the 8008,
which, by the way, though still functional when I unplugged it from the
circuit board, became a "high-tech tie-tack" which I wore from time to time
along with others of about the same ilk and vintage.
With all the fascination over the internet and GUI OS's, etc, it's easy to
forget that the old 8080 can still process the words and generate the
payroll as well as it did 20 years ago. Printers are faster too, I guess,
but since the essential demise of multi-part paper, it takes about as long
to generate the 4-part documents as ever.
Some things will just always be painful . . . <sigh>
I find it interesting to note, however, that you've taken the pain to do
this work yourself. Rest assured, it can't be any worse than the tools
everyone who worked with this primitive beastie had to use.
Dick
----------
> From: Dwight Elvey <elvey(a)hal.com>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re[2]: Intel 4004
> Date: Tuesday, February 09, 1999 2:28 PM
>
> "Richard Erlacher" <edick(a)idcomm.com> wrote:
> > Good Work!
> >
> > Now, do these tools run on the machine itself, or do they require
> > cross-development? Either one's fine, of course. What do you have
your
> > machine doing?
> >
> > Dick
>
> Hi Dick
> I use a PC to develop on. I don't have enough ROM space
> on the 4004 system to do very much. The developement
> system is currently running the code that came with
> it. It was intended to program 1702A's. It does this
> well.
> I am writing code to make a 4 function calculator
> that runs through the serial line used for the programmer.
> I've desided to use BCD math since it has instructions
> built in that deal with doing BCD corrections. The RAM
> orginization is well suited for 16 digits of BCD for
> each data value.
> To get copies of my tool set, down load:
> ftp://ftp.hal.com/pub/elvey/I4004.ZIP
> You'll also need a Forth interpreter because everything
> is in source and not precompiled. I used the Freeware
> Forth called FPC. You can download a copy from the
> site:
> http://www.forth.org/compilers.html
> I also included tools to convert Intel hex to binary
> and back for those that need this format for their
> particular programmer. There are some assembly example
> files called *.AS4 that will get you started.
> Let me know if you have any questions. You don't need
> to know Forth to use the tools but you can do more
> advanced things if you do. For the most part, the READ.ME
> file should be enough to get you started.
> What is your interest in working with the 4004?
> Dwight
I think I might have accidentally nuked some responses to my latest manual
offering. So far, I've received one offer from Hans Franke.
Was anyone else interested in a Motorola 68000 'ExorMacs' System Manual?
Three inches thick and 9+ pounds, vintage about 1980.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio:(WD6EOS) E-mail: kyrrin(a)bluefeathertech.com
SysOp: The Dragon's Cave (Fido 1:343/272, 253-639-9905)
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."