I guess what's confusing me the most is that the "line art" setting on my
scanner software gives horrible results no matter what type of document I
scan - no matter how clear, it comes up trashy.
However, as others suggested, I changed it to "256 shades of gray" and the
scan is infinitely better. Even after removing the moire/descreen, the
letters still look a little "ghosty".
I just want to make sure the scans look good for everyone else when I put
them up.
Thanks to everyone for their input!
Jay West
Is it possible to connect a AT/PS2 keyboard to Sun3/80's?
If so, does anyone have a wiring diagram or a souce for adapters?
Thanks in advance.
Grant Mitchell
R&D Software Engineer - Hitec DMS Ltd.
gim(a)hitec-uk.com
On 10 Feb 99 at 12:58, KNIGHT G.A wrote:
> I'm not sure if there is a condition called
> MissedComputerDumpage Syndrome but I think I may be a
> sufferer. A friend of mine at the other site at my
> university (Staffordshire) has just told me the computer
> department chucked over 50 68040 Apple Macs into the skip
> the other day. He only managed to get one for himself. What
> a waste. The only problem is that the computer is missing a
> keyboard. Is there anyway that you can make an adapter to
> plug a PS/2 keyboard into the Mac?
I'm stunned that any university department could be so stupid. Over
the last year my immediate work section has offered >100 five year
old computers to other university departments and all machines were
claimed within hours.
As somebody said, a PC keyboard will not work. Tell your friend to
look out for an original Apple Extended Keyboard II which has a
wonderful feel and response. They are occasionally advertised on the
uk mac adverts newsgroup.
Phil
**************************************************************
Phil Beesley -- Computer Officer -- Distributed Systems Suppport
University of Leicester
Tel (0)116 252-2231
E-Mail pb14(a)le.ac.uk
Good Work!
Now, do these tools run on the machine itself, or do they require
cross-development? Either one's fine, of course. What do you have your
machine doing?
Dick
----------
> From: Dwight Elvey <elvey(a)hal.com>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Intel 4004
> Date: Tuesday, February 09, 1999 11:43 AM
>
> Hi All
> I have gotten my 4004 development unit up and running.
> In doing so, I made some tools. I have a simple
> assembler, disassembler and a simulator. If anyone
> would like copies of these tools, let me know.
> Dwight
I'm glad I got the first batch of docs for the 2100 stuff. But given that
the second batch of HP docs which I did not get went so fast, I have to
suspect there's some other 2100/21MX lurkers on the list :) One of these
days I'll get around to cataloging all the HP docs/manuals/tapes, etc. that
I have. At that point, copies are available to anyone here at no charge
(except actual copying and shipping cost). Enjoy!
Here's an HP2000 question for you all.... Looks like I'm coming into a FULL
SOURCE code listing of the Time Shared BASIC (TSB) operating system for the
2000F variety. However, it is in printed format (about six LARGE three ring
binders). Is there any better way rather than just keying in the source? I
was thinking perhaps OCR, but I don't know how good my OCR program is
(haven't used it yet). But even if that works, OCR mistakes would be very
hard to find and certainly a tad annoying at compile time!
Perhaps if anyone else here is interested in this, the binders could be
split up and each person scan, ocr, and check their section? Just a
thought...
Jay West
We know what "Error 33" means. But why 33? Why not 23 or 43 or...?
- Joe
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 1999 10:26 AM
>But why 33? "Catch 22" came from a book; "four-oh-four" comes from an
>HTTP error code. Where did the number 33 come from?
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 1999 10:24 AM
>>
>> >"Error 33": when the success of your research depends on the success
>> of
>> >someone else's research. I think it was coined at PARC, but I'm not
>> >sure of that.
>> >
>> >Marvin.
>>
>> That's the attribution (PARC) given in the Jargon File.
>>
>
You'll need a little sandpaper and some salad oil to properly age the label,
I should think.
Kai
-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Ismail [mailto:dastar@ncal.verio.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 1999 9:37 AM
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
Subject: Re: E-Over Pay strikes again! original Altair disk sells for
$102.50!
On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Joe wrote:
> by Mits Inc.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This Item Was A PCC
> Product
> (see logo on lower left corner of label)
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Item: 5 1/4" Altair Minidisk Basic Disk
> Version 4.1; December 1977
> by Pertec Computer Corporation
> Micro-Systems Division
> Copyright 1977
>
>
> See: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=62821235
That does it. I'm pulling out an old dot matrix printer from my
collection and an Apple //e. I'm then going to design a label that looks
just like the one on the disk in that auction and print a bunch up. Then
I'm going to figure out how to make it aged a little (or why even
bother...I'll just say its in "excellent condition"). I will then sell
these disks on ebay every other week.
Don't say I didn't warn you.
Sellam Alternate e-mail:
dastar(a)siconic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Always hasslin' the man.
Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
[Last web site update: 01/15/99]
Doug, I know damn well you don't buy your 4004s at Fry's. Fry's charges too
much for them, and you're too cheap.
I don't know where you get 4004s, but I get mine at Home Depot -- they're
about $0.39 a pound (if you bag them yourself). And the Home Depot ones can
usually be overclocked up to 3.3 GHz. (I assume you're talking about the
GaAs 4004s -- I wouldn't bother with those old ECL ones.)
- Joe
----- Original Message -----
From: Doug <doug(a)blinkenlights.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 1999 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: Intel 4004
>On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, David Freibrun wrote:
>
>> You have an Intel 4004? Where did you obtain this?
>
>Everybody in the Valley has a bunch of them, David. We get them at Fry's.
>
>-- Doug
>
>
At 12:09 PM 2/9/99 -0800, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
>::> ... my lovely 128DCR ...
>
>::Did Commodore Retire ?
>
>Oh yeah. Sorry :-)
>
>DCR = D Cost Reduced
>
>The 128D(CR) are the 128s with integrated 1571 disk drives. The D series have
>flat 128 electronics (16K VDC RAM, 6581 SID) and the 1571 on a separate board.
>Externally, they have a plastic shell. They are virtually unknown in North
>America.
>
>The DCR series, which came later, are a one-board design with the upgraded
>128 ROMs, 64K VDC RAM and the 8580 HMOS-2 SID. Externally, the shell is
>metal. They are the only type of D series 128s sold in America, but they are
>also in Europe in small quantities (later German 128Ds, for example, are
>really 128DCRs with the German-language EPROM). Despite the name, for my
>money, the DCR seems to be more solidly built. The metal case holds my 1702
>monitor (heavy!) without so much as a flex or even a buckle.
I haven't seen the FAQ in ages but I think most DCR's actually shipped with
16k of Video Ram, thus "cost reduced." The 64k units were called something
else. My 128dCR has 16k. : (
Les
<Nice find Alison! The best thing about the 128 was the color monitor
<that may/may not have come with it. You can use it for a CGA monitor
I believe the monitor is a zenith mono. I have VGA color only and a bunch
of mono Herc mono monitors. Such is life.
<with an XT et al and as a vcr/tv tuner monitor as well. Of course it
<has a 64 chip in it as well as a CP/M. I have lots of info and
64? I know it has a 6502 and z80.
<peripherals and software if you need anything. Pocket Writer 128 is a
<good WP and, believe it or not, it is still available retail.
I have a spreadsheet a few games and Jane word processor. If the
CP/M disks I got are good then I can move some of the better things I
have on to it. I also have the test/demo and tutorial disks. Seems like
an unmodified machine.
It's unique in that it's the only other one I have that the standard OS
is CP/M-3 (aka CP/M plus). My Visual 1050 is the other. I prefer to run
V2.2 on most of my z80 based machines.
Allison