There used to be some great pictures of dead apples (the machine variety) at
a place called "murphy's junkyard" or "Murhpy's surplus" on the web.
Not sure of the exact name, but search on the web for murphy's junk or
surplus and you'll find the site.
Jay West
-----Original Message-----
From: Todd Osborne <todd.osborne(a)barnstormer-software.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Thursday, February 11, 1999 11:53 AM
Subject: Picture of Old-Dead Macs
>This is going to seem like an odd request, but I am doing a presentation
>which will include some "bad apples". You know, the human kind. But, to add
>some humor, I would like to find a picture of some really trashed, or a
pile
>of trashed, old Apple computers. I don't know where to find this, and you
>guys have always amazed me at what you were able to locate, so I am hopeful
>you can provide a link. Thanks!
>
>Todd Osborne
>Senior Software Engineer
>FMStrategies, Inc.
>http://www.fmstrategies.com/
>--------------------------------------------------------
>FMStrategies, Inc: tosborne(a)fmstrategies.com
>Internet E-Mail: todd.osborne(a)barnstormer-software.com
>--------------------------------------------------------
>Founder of the Virtual Windows Class Library (C++)
>http://www.barnstormer-software.com/vwcl/
>--------------------------------------------------------
>Anagrams? (http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/)
>Can you figure out this one? Want the answer? E-Mail me.
>COCO VERDI MOM (Hint: Think Late 1970's Computer)
>--------------------------------------------------------
>Quote:
>"The timid die just like the daring, and if you don't take the plunge then
>you'll just take the fall" - Michael Longcor
>
>
>With all due respect to your employer, Joe, I'm imagining being
>violently ill.
So just exactly how much respect *is* "all due respect" in this case? :-)
- Joe
At 06:46 AM 2/10/99 -0800, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
>::I haven't seen the FAQ in ages but I think most DCR's actually shipped with
>::16k of Video Ram, thus "cost reduced." The 64k units were called something
>::else. My 128dCR has 16k. : (
>
>Are you sure you have a DCR then? The shell should be metal. All the DCRs I've
>seen have 64K.
>
>Also check your board. You should have the HMOS SID (CSG 8580), and the -03
>(I think) ROMs.
Yup, case is metal and it even has stamped on the boards.
Les
On Friday, February 12, 1999 12:10 AM, Sean 'Captain Napalm' Conner
[SMTP:spc@armigeron.com] wrote:
>
> This past weekend was the annual Miami Hamboree, a show for amatuer ham
> radio enthusiasts, although they have equipment other than just radio
stuff,
> like computer stuff!
>
> There's two main rooms for mainstream companies and two other rooms
with a
> flea market feel, with long tables and good deals if you know how to
haggle.
>
Sean,
I also went to the Hamboree and was real impressed at how much electronic
"stuff" was there. I didn't see too many interesting computer items but, I
did come home with a real clean Kaypro II and a Compaq luggable.
Including admission and lunch, I spent less than $40.00... Not a bad day.
Steve Robertson - <steverob(a)hotoffice.com>
Not true!
Altair Mini-Disk BASIC was distributed on 5 1/4" hard-sectored disks with 16
sectors (not 10). The MITS controller consisted of two S-100 cards that was
mostly TTL (nothing fancy like a 1771).
- Doug
> -----Original Message-----
> From: allisonp(a)world.std.com [mailto:allisonp@world.std.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 1999 7:22 PM
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
> Subject: Re: E-Over Pay strikes again! original Altair disk sells for
>
>
>
> < Just remember that they're hard sectored disks with 10
> sectors. I just
> <found a box of them in a surplus store a couple of days ago.
>
> Apple or PCC/altair minifloppy? if yes then wrong. They
> were both soft
> sectored. It was the 8" altair disks that were hard sectored
> and it was 26 sectors if memory hasn't lost a bit. Somewhere in the
> junkbox is a Pertec minifloppy controller for s100 that how I know,
> it's 1771 based.
>
>
> 10 sector was most commonly Northstar* MDS.
>
> Allison
>
Any ideas where to find info on the data format?
----------
> From: Tony Duell <ard(a)p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: Sun Keyboards -> AT / PS2?
> Date: 10 February 1999 19:22
>
> >
> > Is it possible to connect a AT/PS2 keyboard to Sun3/80's?
>
> Two answers :
>
> 1) No, the data format/protocol is totally different
>
> 2) Yes, anything can be linked to anything. But it would take (at least)
> a microcontroller to do it.
>
> Which applies depends on who you are :-)
>
> -tony
>
<Don't forget to do the same thing for VMS source (alpha and vax):
<
< http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=62831750
<http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=62837222
<
<These went for $265.00 and $232.50, respectively.
<
<Having VMS source would be cool. But were these disks readable? Did they
<even have anything on them? Who knows. All the seller knew (said) was:
<
< Don't know much about this one ... its a four disk set ..
< I dont have the books or the box it came in. It says on
< each disk "OpenVMS Alpha V7.2 Operating System" then "Source Listings"
<
<Think of the possibilities. NT Source on CDs... Windows 98 source... use
<your imagination.
Not on a bet. VMS source would be HUGE, if it were a four disk set it
would have to be LS120 or ZIP disks to hold it. Likely same for NT.
Allison
Guys:
I just picked up a CDC 9720-500 Sabre 8" drive (SCSI version).
Anybody got docs for this thing? Especially the power hook
up, and dip switch settings.
(Now I have to scare up +24v @ 3A).
A scrap dealer near where I work just tossed three of these that
were SMD! Arrrrgh!
Thanks!
Jeff
___________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
< Just remember that they're hard sectored disks with 10 sectors. I just
<found a box of them in a surplus store a couple of days ago.
Apple or PCC/altair minifloppy? if yes then wrong. They were both soft
sectored. It was the 8" altair disks that were hard sectored
and it was 26 sectors if memory hasn't lost a bit. Somewhere in the
junkbox is a Pertec minifloppy controller for s100 that how I know,
it's 1771 based.
10 sector was most commonly Northstar* MDS.
Allison
<I'm getting this opinion straight from Ted Hoff himself. I don't know
<where my notes are on this and I can't remember the details, but I think
<there are some significant differences between the 4040 and 4004. The
<8008 was supposed to have been based on the 4004 architecture, extending
<it with more instructions and such. The 4040 was, I think, a whole
<different design by a different team inside Intel.
The 4004 and 4040 are very similar. the 4040 adds a few things like extra
registers. The 8008 is really a 4040 stretched to 8bits. The 8080
is really pretty close to the 8008 though not object code compatable.
I have the intel books on them so it's not like I didn't check. ;)
Allison