I have 2 power supplies for the PS/2 50 series of computers, as one unit
to get rid of. Both are from working units. One has a red paddle, one
white. One is from a 50 and one from a 50Z, but are interchangeable. The
set of 2 goes for $5.00 to the first to claim them, plus the applicable
USPS shipping. The two weigh about 6-7 lbs.
USA and APO/FPO only please. Please include your postal zip code so I
can reply to you with a shipping amount. The units are located in zip
40144. Money orders only please.
<drives, normally packaged externally to the cardcage, was most often a
<50-pin flat cable, though a 37 could have handled the task if you didn't
<mind that there was not a ground for every signal. The early FDD's were
True.
<typically hard sectored and used more signals than were required by the
<later models.
Not always true. If the FDD internal data seperator was used hard sector
added 0 (sector holes in same cylinder as hub) or one line (sector holes at
perimeter) depending on model.
<The insides of the ALTAIR FDD box were not simple and clean like their
<successors.
Not really. It was pretty vanilla. the board set was a horror. ;)
Allison
<I'm not sure you're right about the assertion that 37 is enough. Maybe,
<but the old drives used more signals than the later ones.
At this point I'd say this. I was there and used then first products.
I even hand made cables. The oldest 5.25 floppies didn't used the full
34 pins and the 8" drives didn't either. Many of the pins in the 8" case
were used in exchange for others but the odd pins in both 8" and 5" were
all ground and you didn't have to use all of them. the latter being the
common case.
the best example of this is the DEC VT180 CP/M machine D37 on the back of
the box to a DB25 on the drives. The drives were SA400L or tandon TM-100.
<The shielded cables using the DC37 connectors certainly were more durable
<than the IDC50 types one often sees, but the cable hardware in the ALTAIR
<box certainly was the cheapest available. I doubt it was any more solid
<than the IDC types.
Believe it. The cable was hand wired and IDC in the mid '70s was really
new, expensive and not quite ready for pimetime. IDC was more an early
80s item brought to the party.
I have the small but significant advantage in that I was old enough to have
been in the engineering business over 6 years before the altair. So I got
to "be there and see there" alot. That and I bought an early Altair
and helped a few business and hardy hackers build and get theirs going.
Allison
<Do you mean that the various systems that used the 37-pin D-sub actually
<used the same pinout? I was of the impression that there was no standard
<for it (before the IBM PC created a defacto standard in 1981), so I
<assumed that the IBM, DEC, and Xerox stuff probably used entirely unrelate
<pinouts.
They all used he same connector... none wired it the same that I know of.
Allison
Hi,
I saw a bunch (10?) of Apollo memory boards (4 MB?) at
WeirdStuff Warehouse (http://www.weirdstuff.com),
which is located in Sunnyvale, CA. The boards are in the "As-Is"
section, and are $10/each, and are about 4 or 5 inches on each
side.
SS
Lawrence LeMay <lemay(a)cs.umn.edu> wrote:
> It looks like the last version of SunOS that I can run on a Sun 1/100U
> is version 4.0.3, however i'm not sure if I have enough ram to use that
> version. It looks like I can only add 2 ram boards, and all I have
> are 1Meg ram boards...
You could probably run any earlier SunOS. I used to run 3.5 on my 2/120
and 2/50, but I had 4MB in each, later 7MB in the 2/120. I also remember
getting X11R4 to build and run on the 2/120 under 3.5, but can't remember
how much memory I had at the time, just that it took 18 hours to build.
I'm thinking 3.5 would be lighter than 4.0.x. I remember thinking
about getting 4.0.x for my 2/120 so it would support SCSI disks
(besides ST506 and ESDI disks attached via Adaptec ACB4000 and Emulex
MD21) and deciding against it.
> The Sun 1/100U does not have any way to connect peripherals such as
> hard drives, so the unit will have to be booted from the network.
> I guess its almost time for me to brush up on tftp protocol, assuming
> I can find some OS to run on this computer.
Last time I looked through /etc/rc* on a SunOS 4.1.4 system, I noticed
that nd support was still there, and thought that it was probably
still possible to get it to act as a boot server, even for SunOS 3 for
the Sun-2. I'm not real sure how you would install it with just the
tapes and a tape drive on the newer system though, but then I can't
remember how I got the 2/120 to boot the 2/50 either.
-Frank McConnell
What I find odd about the MITS FDD is that they used a 37-pin "D" connector
and cable as opposed to the 50-pin more commonly seen on the 8" types. I
found one among a set of enclosures I bought about 20 years ago. While
this is already promised out (once I find the top of the box), I do know
that there's an ALTAIR hard disk controller box, apparently with a drive
inside, judging from the weight, at Gateway Electronics in Denver, (303)
458-5444, if anyone's interested. It's the same size as the ALTAIR FDD
box.
Dick
----------
> From: Allison J Parent <allisonp(a)world.std.com>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: RE: E-Over Pay strikes again! original Altair disk sells for
> Date: Friday, February 12, 1999 6:34 PM
>
>
> <True enough I'm sure. MITS also produced a "mini"-floppy controller
that
> <was also a two board TTL set. The first board (computer interface) was
th
> <same board as in the 8" set (except for different RC values), the second
>
> Well heres where I stand on it. Never seen one, I was there, and never
> seen an advert for one, I have back issues. Was it possible, sure. The
8"
> design with some tweeks would certainly do minifloppy.
>
> Allison
Roger Merchberger <zmerch(a)30below.com> wrote:
> No offense, but my father (who has been there several times) says it's
> dangerous for the same reason he calls California "the land of Fruits and
> Nuts."
daemonweed[121] % fortune -o -m granola
%% (fortunes-o)
Living in Hollywood is like living in a bowl of granola. What ain't
fruits and nuts is flakes.
daemonweed[122] %
I don't know how long that's been in the fortune file, but I remember
it from when I lived in Maryland so it's probably before 1989.
-Frank McConnell
Joe <rigdonj(a)intellistar.net> wrote:
> I also found some HP cables. They have a DB-25 female connector and a 36
> pin Aphenol connector on the other. They have part number 13242D on them.
> Anyone know what they're for?
"Aphenol" connector? Does this look like it wants to fit over a card
edge, or like it wants to fit a connector with ears e.g. "Centronics"
printer connector?
If it's for a card edge (which I think it is -- I think 13242 is the
part number for this), it's the cable that goes between a 264X
terminal's datacomm card and...hmm, female connector, 13242D, I'm
going to guess it's to connect up to some sort of DTE-type device but
I'm not sure which.
-Frank McConnell
Yes, I guess that would have been polite to have provided more details.
Sorry.
These are WD Caviar IDE drives, one around 200, the other around 500,
master/slave jumpers correctly set, running as single drive off IDE channel
#2 on a P1 (socket 7) motherboard. Running Win95 "A". The BIOS
autorecognizes both drives.
Thanks for any input
Manney
>> I have a couple of old WD hard drives I'm trying to revitalize. They say
>> they have no partitions, but when I try to lay in a partition, they say
>> there's no room.
>>
>> Would a LLF take care of this (vide recent discussion)?
>
>What model drives? What model controller(s)? "Old" is a flexible
>term with computers, and WD has been around through a lot of the
>evolution of hard disk technology. Some combos don't work at all,
>attaching a WD1003 controller to a Caviar of any size doesn't work,
>for example
>--
>Ward Griffiths <mailto:gram@cnct.com> <http://www.cnct.com/home/gram/>
>
>WARNING: The Attorney General has determined that Alcohol, Tobacco,
>and Firearms can be hazardous to your health -- and get away with it.
>