Hi all:
Does anyone have a PDP11/40 Processor Handbook they can part with or rent
out? (I like that touch). Or is there a semi-legitimate copy online
anywhere???
Probably any good pdp11/40 assembly handbook would do, I'm just not familiar
with them.
Thanks,
Mike Allison
mallison(a)konnections.com
If anyone wonders what to fed their Rainbow, besides Concurrent CPM/86 at
the unofficial CPM site, there is the DEC fpt server in Uppsala. They have
a few different systems for the rainbow:
CCPM, CPM, MSDOS, P-System (and possibly Fortran System).
Check out:
ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/rainbow/
You'll need a copy of teledisk and lha archiver. I believe they are also
available on the same server.
Have fun,
Mike
(They also have system stuff for pdp11's and 8's)
'Cause if I'd a posted it then, there wouldn't have been one. Actually I've
passed up a couple in the last few months, against my better judgement...
Now, I need one...
Thanks
At 07:48 PM 2/14/99, Joe wrote:
>Damm! Mike. Why didn't you post this a few days ago? I passed up a 11/40
>Assembly language book for $1 at a hamfest this weekend.
>
> Joe
>
>At 11:17 AM 2/14/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>Hi all:
>>
>>Does anyone have a PDP11/40 Processor Handbook they can part with or rent
>>out? (I like that touch). Or is there a semi-legitimate copy online
>>anywhere???
>>
>>Probably any good pdp11/40 assembly handbook would do, I'm just not familiar
>>with them.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Mike Allison
>>mallison(a)konnections.com
>>
>>
>
>
>
I really need a copy of the pdp11 processor handbook...
If you have a spare, let me know what you need to get it here. I'm at Zip
84404, Ogden, UT
Thanks,
Mike
At 05:26 PM 2/14/99 -0500, Bill Pechter wrote:
>> Hi all:
>>
>> Does anyone have a PDP11/40 Processor Handbook they can part with or rent
>> out? (I like that touch). Or is there a semi-legitimate copy online
>> anywhere???
>>
>> Probably any good pdp11/40 assembly handbook would do, I'm just not familiar
>> with them.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike Allison
>> mallison(a)konnections.com
>>
>>
>Somewhere I've got the Red PDP11 Mainframe handbook that was an 11/40
>maintenance guide.
>
>I've also got copies of the PDP11 processor handbook
>
>What do you really need, an assembly lang ref, maintenance manual or what.
>
>Bill
>ex-DEC Field Service geek
>bpechter(a)shell.monmouth.com
>pechter(a)pechter.nws.net
>
>---
> Bill Gates is a Persian cat and a monocle away from being a
> villain in a James Bond movie -- Dennis Miller
> bpechter@shell.monmouth.com|pechter@pechter.nws.net|pechter@pechter.ddns.org
>
>
> I was out doing a little junking and ran across a interesting little ROM
> Pack. It is a Tektronix "4052 Character and Symbol" pack (C) 1981. Am I
> correct in assuming that it is for a Tek terminal?
W O W !!!!!!!!
See Don's earlier post for a description of the 4052. I have a 4052 and I
lack the ROM pack. I would be prepared to pay something quite substantial
for this if you are willing to part with it. Could you possibly ascertain
shipping costs to UK, and let me know whether payment in US banknotes is
acceptable? Please?
> I also found two very interesting floppy disks, I think I reconginze
them,
> but can't remember the name of the computer I think they go to. They're
> Amsoft CF-2 Compact Floppy disc's. They're double sided for single sided
> floppy disk drives. They measure 3 9/10" x 3 1/10" x 1/5". Both are in
> protective hard plastic cases and the one is still in the shrink wrap!
Amsoft sounds very Amstrad, I must admit, but I feel I must put in that one
system nobody seems to have mentioned that used 3 inch floppies was the
Tatung Einstein - a Taiwanese (I think) Z80 based home computer that tried
to jump on the BBC Micro bandwagon in the UK.
I need an M220 module for my PDP-8/L. Does anybody have one for sale or
know where I could find one?
Thanks,
Tom
--
Sysop of Caesarville Online
Client software at: <http://home.earthlink.net/~tomowad/>
Here's a semi-interesting page of quasi-historical importance
about uP's of the past. It probably doesn't jive with the
classiccmp list view of reality, but discusses 40xx's,
and {non-authoritatively} answers one members question
about the uP in the Voyager probe:
"Apart from the COSMAC microcomputer kit, the 1802 saw action
in some video games from RCA and Radio Shack, and the chip
is the heart of the Voyager, Viking and Galileo "
http://www.cs.uregina.ca/~bayko/cpu.html
We especially like the 2nd IEEE Computer article in Apendix E.
Chuck
cswiger(a)widomaker.com
<Well . . . I'd make the observation that while the ALTAIR was certainly
<built in the mid 1970's, several of the other machines to which you refer
<were not, not were the "mini-floppy" drives which later became common.
Ok, lets get on the same page.
I built altair serial number 200 in 1975, January to be exact. from there
I can elaborate but I think being there and using/building many allows me
historical accuracy.
<In the mid-'70's, both ribbon cable and IDC connectors were quite costly b
<comparison with up-to-then common labor intensive hand wiring. As the
Gee I posted something to that effect. A quote of mine from the mail you
quoted.
<> Believe it. The cable was hand wired and IDC in the mid '70s was really
<> new, expensive and not quite ready for pimetime. IDC was more an early
<> 80s item brought to the party.
<economies of scale took effect, ribbon and the associated connector
<mechanisms became both cheaper and more reliable, so that, by the time the
More reliable yes, reliable no. Testing at DEC done in the QA labs put the
average IDC connector as decaying contact resistance and sometime outright
failure in the 10-20 insertion/removeal cycles. The more common D25 or D37
connector was usually 5-10 time better in number of operating cycles.
Their conclusion was for external connectors where cables may be
moved/changed often the D9/15/25/37 connectors were far better choice.
For internal cables where likelyhood of being cycled was lower the IDC
connectors were accetable.
<mini-floppies were accepted, the associated ribbon cable hardware was
<firmly intrenched in the market. The plastic (T&B Ansley in this case)
<ribbon cable connectors were not the best available. The old 8" drives ha
<enough signals which were used early in the game that the 50-conductor
<cable became the standard as opposed to the 34-pin, which could easily
<handle the operation of a drive once the later-accepted conventions were i
<place.
minifloppys accetance was in the 77-79 time frame and IDC was used but
considered "cheaping out".
<At the time of the ALTAIR, these conventions were not yet in place.
That's not news to me. If anything I'd suggested that was exactly the
case. I'd seen a great amount to standards (pseudo standards) shift from
mid '70s to the mid 80s. One well known one was the S100 bus itself.
Allison
Well . . . I'd make the observation that while the ALTAIR was certainly
built in the mid 1970's, several of the other machines to which you refer
were not, not were the "mini-floppy" drives which later became common.
In the mid-'70's, both ribbon cable and IDC connectors were quite costly by
comparison with up-to-then common labor intensive hand wiring. As the
economies of scale took effect, ribbon and the associated connector
mechanisms became both cheaper and more reliable, so that, by the time the
mini-floppies were accepted, the associated ribbon cable hardware was
firmly intrenched in the market. The plastic (T&B Ansley in this case)
ribbon cable connectors were not the best available. The old 8" drives had
enough signals which were used early in the game that the 50-conductor
cable became the standard as opposed to the 34-pin, which could easily
handle the operation of a drive once the later-accepted conventions were in
place.
At the time of the ALTAIR, these conventions were not yet in place.
Dick
----------
> From: Allison J Parent <allisonp(a)world.std.com>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: ALTAIR stuff (was Re: E-Over Pay strikes again!
originalAltairdisk sells for... )
> Date: Saturday, February 13, 1999 10:16 PM
>
>
> <I'm not sure you're right about the assertion that 37 is enough. Maybe,
> <but the old drives used more signals than the later ones.
>
> At this point I'd say this. I was there and used then first products.
> I even hand made cables. The oldest 5.25 floppies didn't used the full
> 34 pins and the 8" drives didn't either. Many of the pins in the 8" case
> were used in exchange for others but the odd pins in both 8" and 5" were
> all ground and you didn't have to use all of them. the latter being the
> common case.
>
> the best example of this is the DEC VT180 CP/M machine D37 on the back of
> the box to a DB25 on the drives. The drives were SA400L or tandon
TM-100.
>
> <The shielded cables using the DC37 connectors certainly were more
durable
> <than the IDC50 types one often sees, but the cable hardware in the
ALTAIR
> <box certainly was the cheapest available. I doubt it was any more solid
> <than the IDC types.
>
> Believe it. The cable was hand wired and IDC in the mid '70s was really
> new, expensive and not quite ready for pimetime. IDC was more an early
> 80s item brought to the party.
>
> I have the small but significant advantage in that I was old enough to
have
> been in the engineering business over 6 years before the altair. So I
got
> to "be there and see there" alot. That and I bought an early Altair
> and helped a few business and hardy hackers build and get theirs going.
>
> Allison