The 802 is the integrated computer/terminal unit. Call it a super-smart
terminal if you like, but it is a relatively convenient version of what
wasn't available much of the time back when these were current (early
'80's). It is not merely a terminal, though it will fill that function
nicely.
Dick
----------
> From: Joe <rigdonj(a)intellistar.net>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: Televideo 802 computer?
> Date: Tuesday, January 26, 1999 10:18 AM
>
> George,
>
> Are you talking about the 802 (which someone said is a terminal) or are
> you talking about the computer? (model number ???)
>
> If you mean the computer then I listed it but I wasn't offering. It's
> still at the store. I was hoping they might turn up the computer. If
you
> need a copy, I'll see about getting it and making you a copy. If I don't
> find the computer sooner or later then you may end up with the original.
>
> If you mean the terminal manual then it's also still at the store but I
> don't want it so if you do then let me know and I'll see about getting it
> for you.
>
> Joe
>
> At 11:12 AM 1/26/99 -0800, you wrote:
> >I actually have one of these with no docs... Who was it that was
offering
> >a manual?
> >
> >George
> >
> >=========================================================
> >George L. Rachor george(a)racsys.rt.rain.com
> >Beaverton, Oregon http://racsys.rt.rain.com
> >United States of America Amateur Radio : KD7DCX
> >
> >On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Richard Erlacher wrote:
> >
> >> It seems to me that the 802 was a televideo terminal with an
integrated
> >> workstation. These worked in conjunction with a server unit to run an
OS
> >> called MOST, I believe, and I have a couple of the server units, the
number
> >> of which will occur to me when I look at one again.
> >>
> >> These were fairly late technology, using 64k DRAMS and a 4MHz Z80A.
The
> >> servers had four or five serial ports using Z80 SIO's and either 10 or
20
> >> MB winchesters to go with their 5-1/4" floppies. They used the
> >> WD1000-series HDC, which used an 8X300 microcontroller (I2L
technology,
> >> Harvard architecture) and the WD1000 5-chip set. I always admired the
> >> packaging technology, which was first rate.
> >>
> >> I have to believe the workstations were up to the same standard in
> >> convenient packaging. Televideo was late getting into the desktop
> >> workstation market, but did it in a big way with these numbers, as
they had
> >> all you could want. The OS was purported, by some users I knew, to be
> >> quite a bit superior to MPM, which was quite established at that time
(late
> >> '70's, early '80's).
> >>
> >> If anyone is interested in the server units, I can make them
available,
> >> less drives, and possibly a couple of SIO/2's which I scavenged years
ago,
> >> for the packaging/shipping cost.
> >>
> >> Dick
> >>
> >> ----------
> >> > From: Joe <rigdonj(a)intellistar.net>
> >> > To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
> >> <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> >> > Subject: Televideo 802 computer?
> >> > Date: Tuesday, January 26, 1999 2:35 AM
> >> >
> >> > Does anyone have one of these? I found a manual for one of these
> >> yesterday
> >> > and it looks pretty cool.
> >> >
> >> > Joe
> >>
> >
> >
Does anyone know of any early (pre-1990) computers, other than the early
Toshibas, that used the parallel port to access an external floppy drive
(or other external storage device)? Thanks!
What you want is an Intergraph InterPro. Stay away from the InterVue (huge
cabinetry, with motors for the monitor platform and digitizing surface,
etc) and InterActs. (I have an InterPro 2000, dual screen machine).
The first InterPro was actually based on National 32000 chips. But after
that, they were all Clippers. Intergraph ended up bying the Clipper part
of the business from Fairchild, then a few years later went NT/Intel.
An InterPro 2000, 2020, etc. would do nicely. Although many were dual
screen, you can actually operate them with just one screen (and it might be
possible to disable the 2nd screen hardware -- I have never tried that with
mine though).
Wisconsin DOT has been unloading quite a few of these of late, and they
show up at the U. Wisconsin "SWAP" sale (every Friday -- they moved
recently to the East side of Madison, WI) occasionally from that source. I
paid about $50 for mine (but got a PS/2 server loaded with SCSI drives as
part of the big box of stuff I got).
Their Unix operating system, CLIX, was largely System V based, with TCP/IP
networking from Lachmann and Assosciates.
Intergraph recently released Y2K software for the beasties.
Best of luck.
Jay Jaeger
At 01:57 AM 2/9/99 -0800, Kevan Heydon wrote:
>
>Hi,
>
>I would like to get a Clipper CPU based workstation but know very little
>about what models were made. Does anybody have any information on what
>machines Intergraph made. I do know that some models were huge dual
>display + tablet systems. I don't have the room for these but if they did
>smaller deskside or even desktop systems then these would be of interest.
>
>Many Thanks
>
>--
>Kevan
>
>Collector of old computers: http://www.heydon.org/kevan/collection/
>
---
Jay R. Jaeger The Computer Collection
Jay.Jaeger(a)msn.fullfeed.com visit http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/~cube
I have just gotten 5 copies of IBM Disk Operating System Version 3.30
with 2-5.25" 360k and 1-3.5" 720k disks included. These are like brand
new, never opened. Asking $6.50 per unit, plus $5 priority mailing in
the lower 48 US states. AK and HI as well as APO/FPO may be more, will
have to see on a case by case basis. First come, first served. Money
orders only, please! I bought the box of 6 sets to get one copy for
myself at $40.00 and $6.50 is about what each copy cost me, so I won't
make any money at all on this. I know there are those that would love to
have this for that classic, or to have with other verions of DOS.
These are the small format manuals, not the encased notebooks so you
don't have to worry about pages getting torn out later.
I have calculated shipping from me to California, Chicago, NYC and Tampa
to come up with a rate that is within a few cents of actual, hence the
$5.00 shipping. All of the locations yielded a $5.40 priority mailing
and regular rate is real close to that.
If you want a copy email me directly at RHBLAKE(a)BIGFOOT.COM so I can
give you a mailing address for payment. Not sure of my reputation? Many
of you have bought and traded with me on eBay and on the lists so my
reputation for delivering what I post preceeds me. I'm not doing this to
get rich, just to fulfill my own nasty habit and spread the wealth among
other with the same "disease".
> I still program for the PET, but these days, for speed of developement, I
> use VICE and emulate the PET on my SPARCstation. I did finally manage to
> port Zork I from the C-64 to the 40-col BASIC 2 PET. Something about
> BASIC 4 is clobbering bits of memory, but I don't know where (could be
the
> DS/DS$ stuff; it s very convoluted).
I can't remember about DS and DS$, but these may use some formerly unused
page 0 locations.
I do recall though that the 8000 series used the former table screen line
status bytes (whether the first or second half of an 80-character line),
which was not needed when screen lines were 80 character anyway, for a lot
of things used in the new screen management routines. The Fat 40, however,
did need the screen line status bytes, and stuck the screen management junk
at the end of the 2nd cassette buffer. So Cassette #2 can only be used for
loading and saving programs on the fat 40. Other data gets corrupted.
Anyway, West should contain it all, so best of luck when you get your
copy...
Philip.
The following is one of the type of instruments I have serviced for many
years and it normally came with a PDP8 and many were upgraded to a PDP11
data system. If anyone is interested in details contact them directly to
find out more. With the info they have on their configuration I would be
able to give some help on details.
Dan
Newsgroups: sci.techniques.mass-spec
From: Carl Braybrook <carl(a)rsc.anu.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 13:30:31 +1100
Subject: VG 70/70 FREE TO GOOD HOME
Organization: Australian National University
Hi
We have an old 70/70 system sitting in a back room taking up space. If
we can't find anyone interested in taking it off our hands we will be
forced
to junk it. Anyone with a real interest, please contact me at the Research
School of Chemistry, Austarlian National University, Canberra Australia.
tel
# 02 6249 3570, or e-mail me on carl(a)rsc.anu.edu.au
>> Yes but what's interesting is that the bit-slice 4052 is software
>> compatible with the 6800 powered 4051!!! The 4052 is a 16 bit machine.
I'm
>> guessing that Tektronix used the bit slice CPU so that they could retain
>> the same software but gain the power of the 16 bit system.
>
> From what I recall (looking at Philip's 4052 service docs), the
> instruction set is not identical. There's at least one 6800 instruction
> missing on the 4052. And there are (of course) some extra instructions on
> the 4052 that aren't on the 6800. That's why some ROMs are 4052 and later
> only.
IIRC, the only 6800 instruction not present on the 4052/54/52A/54A was DAA
- decimal addition adjustment. Since the 6800 has no decimal subtraction
adjustment, it was pretty useless anyway.
The main difference is the 128K byte address space. Two bits in the
processor status register were used for the 17th address bit (most
significant) - one for instruction fetches (default 1) and one for data
load/store (default 0). Most of the additional instructions manipulated
these. Nice features included: if you changed the bit for the instruction
fetches, it didn't actually change until the next ALUOUT -> PC microcode
instruction, i.e. branch or jump.
> At the hardware level, the 4052 is 16 bit. But the microcode implements
> an 8 bit processor - the 16 bit operations are used for calculating
> addresses only. IIRC there are hardware features (like separate odd and
> even ROMs) that would make it easy to make it a true 16 bit machine. But
> it wasn't.
Almost exactly. And it's not just separate odd and even ROMs - it has
separate odd and even address buses! These hardware features do speed it
up, though. The other main application of the 16 bit data path was that
2-byte instructions were fetched with a single memory cycle, and this
happens quite often. The odd/even address logic meant this could be done
at an odd or an even address and still work.
My guess is that the hardware guys put a lot of work into that
architecture, wanting to make it both nice and 16bit and like the 6800.
Unfortunately, this took rather a long time, so the software guys just
wrote a 6800 near-emulator in microcode so as to speed the software
migration process. But this is just a guess.
Philip.
Hi Mike,
I have a pdp11/45 processor handbook I can spare. I don't know enough about
the -11 line to know how different the 11/45 was from the 11/40. E-mail me
privately if it's any use to you.
Mark.
At 11:17 AM 2/14/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi all:
>
>Does anyone have a PDP11/40 Processor Handbook they can part with or rent
>out? (I like that touch). Or is there a semi-legitimate copy online
>anywhere???
>
>Probably any good pdp11/40 assembly handbook would do, I'm just not familiar
>with them.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike Allison
>mallison(a)konnections.com
>
>
>
I just got back from a three day hamfest. Boy, did I get a LOAD of
stuff!!!! My truck was dragging all the way home! It'll be days unloading
and sorting this stuff.
One of the interesting things that I got I **think** may be part of an A
series HP 1000 but I can't find any of the part numbers in my HP catalogs.
The serial number on the power supply indicates that it was made in 1980.
Here's a description of it.
A large 19” rack mount box, marked “Hewlett Packard 12979B I/O EXTENDER”
It’s 19” rack mount box, 23” deep and 9” tall. It has a flat front cover
held on by two 1/4 turn fasteners. It has nine slots in the back and nine
slots in the front. The back slots are numbered 0 through 7 then 10. the
front slots are numbered 11 through 17 then 20 and then DC PC. These cards
are currently in it.
slot PN Marking
(3) PN 02100-60060 marked TERM
(11) and (12) PN 12979-60029 marked I/O BUFFER
(13) PN 12566-60032 marked MICROCIRCUIT
(14) and (15) PN 59310-60101 marked BUS I/O
(16), (17) and (20) PN 12566-80024 marked GRD TRUE IN OUT
(DC PC) PN 12898-60001 marked EXT. D.C.P.C.
All the cards have a card edge connector on the outside edge except for the
TERM and EXT DC PC cards. I also got a LARGE box of cables that I *think*
are for this device. They all have connectors that plug onto the card edges.
Joe
Joe <rigdonj(a)intellistar.net> wrote:
> No, it has the ears with the notches in them for wire clips to snap
> into. Yesm they're Centronics style. It looks like a standard PC parallel
> printer cable but the DB-25 is female instead of male.
The 13242 p/n in strangely familiar to me, so I'm thinking it probably
went to one of the HP terminals I used to have to deal with. That it's
a Amphenol "Centronics-style" connector makes me think it's for a
262X-family terminal, but I'd expect the Amphenol connector to be the
50-pin flavor for that.
Also I looked at a 2645 at the office today (still in service) and its
cable has a 02640-xxxxx part number.
-Frank McConnell