Does anyone in the Boston, MA area want an Okidata 120 printer w/manual?
It uses the C-64 serial bus. It worked last time I checked. Thanks.
--Max Eskin (max82(a)surfree.com)
At 11:29 PM 2/15/99 -0800, you wrote:
>
>Here's an interesting article that makes some very compelling arguments of
>why Linux will unseat Windows as the dominant PC-based operating system:
Poor imitation, weak logic, even "nexisms" (the neologism I'm inventing
for the supposed intellectual validity of AltaVista and Nexis counts) ...
sheesh, everybody's trying to be Eric S. Raymond.
Check out <http://www.vmware.com/> for software that'll supposedly
let you run several OSes at once, including Windows and Linux.
As I've often ranted, it's more probable that apps from one OS will be
emulated as necessary to various degrees, ranging from CDs of Microsoft-
branded Linux, to even better Win32 APIs for Linux, and species in-between.
- John
Here's an interesting article that makes some very compelling arguments of
why Linux will unseat Windows as the dominant PC-based operating system:
http://x14.dejanews.com/[ST_rn=qs]/getdoc.xp?AN=432897831&CONTEXT=919146928…
(This is a DejaNews URL)
Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar(a)siconic.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always hasslin' the man.
Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
[Last web site update: 02/15/99]
This may well have been the case. It happens that Microcmputer Systems
Corp. which later became XEBEC (remember them???) put out their first
microwinchester disk interface for a 5 mbps drive with up to 16 heads
interfaced via HPIB. It was purported to be compatible with HP machines.
It happens I've got one of these early controllers, which has never been
used, if anyone's interested.
Dick
----------
> From: Philip.Belben(a)pgen.com
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: Floppy/Parallel Ports
> Date: Monday, February 15, 1999 10:17 PM
>
>
>
>
> > Does anyone know of any early (pre-1990) computers, other than the
early
> > Toshibas, that used the parallel port to access an external floppy
drive
> > (or other external storage device)? Thanks!
>
>
> (-: Roger, that's a very foolish thing to say on Classiccmp. For
startres:
>
> An "Early" computer does _not_ mean "pre-1990". More like "pre-1960".
>
> Lots of pre-1990 machines used a parallel port to talk to floppy disk
> drives. HP and Commodore machines used HPIB/GPIB for example. And yes,
> that was the printer port on those machines too.
>
> Need I go on?
>
> Philip. :-)
>
> (I think someone else has already given a sensible answer, so I have no
> qualms about posting the above)
>
>
>
>
Does anyone have any ADAM joysticks and/or software? ...or any commercial
source for them?
What to you suppose would happen if I called up Coleco?
manney
I found this list just a few days ago, I hope it is fairly active since I
have a handfull of classic systems I am working on.
Unisys 386sx microtower, this is a tiny computer (about 2/3 the size of a
small desktop) and too cute to leave in the scrap heap I found it in. It is
the former property of United California Bank, and has some motherboard
memory stripped and I think the hard drive.
Three IBM PS/2 model 30's, that wish to have parts comingled so that they
might live on as one complete functioning computer. 386 and 387 chips and
even memory are intact on one, but for reasons I don't know that unit has
the power supply disconnected from the motherboard. I plan to apply some AC
soon to see whats what.
HP Vectra 466 / 66M, missing drives, some cables, but boots to diagnostic
screen fine.
Various Apple and Mac items that I generally understand. (Apple IIc, IIc+,
IIgs, etc.)
This is posted to two lists, apologies to those (Tony) who get it twice.
The library here at Power Tech is throwing out some old books. I got a
few, including the odd duplicate of things I'm often asked about, but there
are many more, all to go in the skip by the end of the week unless rescued.
I intend to keep the Mech. eng. handbook, but the others I will send to
anyone who can demonstrate a need (such as "I have a box full of TRAM
boards but no programming info") for the cost of shipping (I am in
Coalville, England). Oh yes. Raeto West's book (I already have it) is
about the best book on the PET you could hope to get.
Here's the list:
Baumeister, Marks, "Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers", 7th edn,
McGraw Hill 1967
Dunn S, Morgan V, "The PET Personal Computer for Beginners", Prentice Hall,
1981
Osborne A, Donahue C S, "PET/CBM Personal Computer Guide" 2nd edn., McGraw
Hill, 1980
West R C, "Programming the PET/CBM", Level, 1982
Eggebrecht L C, "Interfacing to the IBM Personal Computer", H W Sams, 1983
Brodie L, "Starting FORTH", Prentice Hall, 1981
Brodie L, "Thinking FORTH", Prentice Hall, 1984
Jones G, Goldsmith M, "Programming in Occam 2", Prentice Hall, 1988
Berry P, "Sharp APL Reference Manual", I P Sharp, 1979
Gilman L, Rose A J, "APL - an Interactive Approach", 2nd edn, 1976
Philip.
>>And also that the command for direct access to machine code level was NOT
>>proffered to the customers. Some of the field guys would provide it to
>>customers that they liked, but it was not policy to do so. Certainly,
>>also, some of the more knowledgeable users hacked it.
>>
>>Unfortunately, I have long since forgotten it :{
>
> Arrggg! I can't believe you forgot that! That's like saying you found
> the holy grail, then lost it!
>
> Joe
>>
>> - don
Don, I'd almost rather you hadn't said that. Were you deliberately trying
to raise false hopes?
I am going to have a long look through the documentation I have - including
several years' back issues of Tekniques, the 4050 series newsletter, and
see what I can find out. Meanwhile, if you remember _anything_, PLEASE
TELL US!
Philip.
Hello, group. Especially you big iron folks.....
Going through several piles of surplus stuff at the shop where I keep my
workbench, I came across a couple of AS/400 things. One is a tape, still
sealed, labeled "System Program V3. 5763 -- PT1 and other programs." The
other is a book, still sealed, titled "IBM AS/400 Redbooks Collection Kit, April
1997"
If interested, email me off-list. Thank you for your time. We now return you to
the classic comp list, already in progress.
Paul Braun
NerdWare -- The History of the PC and the Nerds who brought it to you.
nerdware(a)laidbak.com
www.laidbak.com/nerdware
In a message dated 99-02-15 22:08:05 EST, you write:
> I just picked up an Apple ][c+ (enhanced ][c, w/3.5" internal floppy
> and 4.0Mhz 65C02) with monitor, stand, mouse and two Imagewriter I printers
> for the princely sum of $15, but lack modern software. All I have is a
> couple of 5.25" DOS 3.3 floppies from my ][+ days. I know this thing
works:
> it boots and runs DOS 3.3; what I need is something a little newer.
>
> Did Apple ever post ProDOS to the 'net like they have made older versions
> of MacOS available? Does DOS 3.3 support 3.5" 800K floppies (probably
not).
> Is there a good repository for Apple ][ software on ftp somewhere?
>
lucky dog! the //c+ is a nice machine and is the only // series model i am
missing now. you'll only be able to run prodos on 3.5 although you can always
plug in an external 5.25 and use that. nibble magazine used to sell dos 3.3
that was patched to run on 3.5 drives. it split each 800k disk into 2 400k
volumes. i dont remember what they called it; have to look in my old
magazines. there are two places on the net that are called 'ground' and
'asimov' that i've been told are some pretty good repositories of just about
any apple // program. someone will be able to post the URLs, i'm sure.
david