Make that a _cancer_ charity...
-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Eros
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 1999 3:31 PM
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
Subject: RE: FWD from alt.folklore.computers
Possibly, but I remember seeing an eBay auction last year that was
structured in a similar way. Winning bid went to a cancel charity
(I
think...)
-- Tony
-----Original Message-----
From: SUPRDAVE(a)aol.com [SMTP:SUPRDAVE@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 1999 3:13 PM
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
Subject: Re: FWD from alt.folklore.computers
In a message dated 2/17/99 11:48:17 AM Pacific Standard
Time,
steverob(a)hotoffice.com writes:
<< My wife's aunt just cleaned out her closet and gave us a
digi-comp 1 in
excellent shape with all the manuals, box, etc. I see from
previous
discussion that this is a beloved object to many of
you.Since I
don't want
to profit on her (pre)spring cleaning, I would be happy to
ship the
unit to
the first person who would be willing to make a $500
donation to
the
charity of my choosing (for a 40% bracket, that is a $300
net
expense).I
will be happy to confirm contents and quality of the unit
with
_serious_
purchasers. Since this is a charitable donation, I will not
go down
on the
price (if no buyers emerge by March 1st, it's off to ebay).
It will
be sold
first come, first served basis.Please, no haggling, and I
hope that
we can
find a nice home for this little red computer, while
supporting a
worthy
charity as well. Best regards,Lionel >>
i'll be willing to bet one of my old computers that any of
the ebay
profit
wouldnt goto charity...
> On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 SUPRDAVE(a)aol.com wrote:
>> steverob(a)hotoffice.com writes:
>> << My wife's aunt just cleaned out her closet and gave us a digi-comp 1 in
>> excellent shape with all the manuals, box, etc. I see from previous
>
> "All the manuals"? There's the rather slender "Manual" and the
> assembly instructions. That's all that ever came with mine, long gone.
Maybe she bought the other manuals - there was a manual of detailed
explanations of the various "experiments" (cost: $1), a "Digi-Comp Romps"
booklet of games and clever tricks, and possibly another book of additional
serious experiments.
My Digicomp also came with a brochure for the other ESR products: Digi-comp
2, Dr. Nim, and Think-a-dot.
--Larry Groebe
(new! webpage for Digicomp fans:
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/friendsofdigicomp)
In a message dated 2/17/99 11:48:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
steverob(a)hotoffice.com writes:
<< My wife's aunt just cleaned out her closet and gave us a digi-comp 1 in
excellent shape with all the manuals, box, etc. I see from previous
discussion that this is a beloved object to many of you.Since I don't want
to profit on her (pre)spring cleaning, I would be happy to ship the unit to
the first person who would be willing to make a $500 donation to the
charity of my choosing (for a 40% bracket, that is a $300 net expense).I
will be happy to confirm contents and quality of the unit with _serious_
purchasers. Since this is a charitable donation, I will not go down on the
price (if no buyers emerge by March 1st, it's off to ebay). It will be sold
first come, first served basis.Please, no haggling, and I hope that we can
find a nice home for this little red computer, while supporting a worthy
charity as well. Best regards,Lionel >>
i'll be willing to bet one of my old computers that any of the ebay profit
wouldnt goto charity...
Possibly, but I remember seeing an eBay auction last year that was
structured in a similar way. Winning bid went to a cancel charity (I
think...)
-- Tony
-----Original Message-----
From: SUPRDAVE(a)aol.com [SMTP:SUPRDAVE@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 1999 3:13 PM
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
Subject: Re: FWD from alt.folklore.computers
In a message dated 2/17/99 11:48:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
steverob(a)hotoffice.com writes:
<< My wife's aunt just cleaned out her closet and gave us a
digi-comp 1 in
excellent shape with all the manuals, box, etc. I see from previous
discussion that this is a beloved object to many of you.Since I
don't want
to profit on her (pre)spring cleaning, I would be happy to ship the
unit to
the first person who would be willing to make a $500 donation to
the
charity of my choosing (for a 40% bracket, that is a $300 net
expense).I
will be happy to confirm contents and quality of the unit with
_serious_
purchasers. Since this is a charitable donation, I will not go down
on the
price (if no buyers emerge by March 1st, it's off to ebay). It will
be sold
first come, first served basis.Please, no haggling, and I hope that
we can
find a nice home for this little red computer, while supporting a
worthy
charity as well. Best regards,Lionel >>
i'll be willing to bet one of my old computers that any of the ebay
profit
wouldnt goto charity...
It's somewhat divergent from the current topic, but it might interest some
to know that the Honeywell '516 is the engine control computer which was
still in use on the space shuttle at the time of the Challenger accident.
There were two, one redundant, for each engine, of which I believe there
were three.
Dick
----------
> From: Sam Ismail <dastar(a)ncal.verio.com>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: Who invented the internet?
> Date: Wednesday, February 17, 1999 1:36 AM
>
> On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Doug wrote:
>
> > I was searching the web for a picture of a Honeywell IMP (DDP-516), and
I
> > found one sitting on the home page of Leonard Kleinrock,
self-proclaimed
> > Inventor of the Internet:
> > http://millennium.cs.ucla.edu/LK/Inet/birth.html
>
> He certainly has an interesting story for such a major contribution to
> computing since I've never heard of him either.
>
> Get this:
>
> "In this work, he developed the basic principles of packet switching,
thus
> providing the fundamental underpinnings for that technology."
>
> As far as I know the concept of packet switching was first described by
> Paul Baran of the Rand Corporation (see a timeline at
> http://www.unc.edu/courses/jomc050/pioneers3.html. Interestingly enough
> the name "Kleinrock" does not show up anywhere in this list).
>
> But this guy certainly takes the liberty of practically taking full
credit
> for single-handedly inventing the internet.
>
> How about this:
>
> "More recently, Kleinrock has taken the leading role in the new
technology
> of Nomadic Computing and Communications; the idea is to create a
> technology that will support the nomadic user in his computing and
> communication needs as he travels from place to place."
>
> This has already been pioneered by Steven Roberts and his BEHEMOTH (see
> http://www.doitsports.com/biketour/tolman/nomad.htm).
>
> Does this dude have an original idea?
>
> This guy seems to like to take credit for stuff other people invented. I
> hate guys like that. Maybe this is a scam web site like that one that
was
> posted last year about the one dude who purportedly single-handedly
> invented the personal computer and the GUI (didn't that guy also claim to
> have invented the internet?)
>
> Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar(a)siconic.com
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
> Always hasslin' the man.
>
> Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
> See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
> [Last web site update: 02/15/99]
Found this in another news group. Please reply to the original poster not
this group...
<CLIP>
DIGI-COMP 1 FOR SALE
My wife's aunt just cleaned out her closet and gave us a digi-comp 1 in
excellent shape with all the manuals, box, etc. I see from previous
discussion that this is a beloved object to many of you.Since I don't want
to profit on her (pre)spring cleaning, I would be happy to ship the unit to
the first person who would be willing to make a $500 donation to the
charity of my choosing (for a 40% bracket, that is a $300 net expense).I
will be happy to confirm contents and quality of the unit with _serious_
purchasers. Since this is a charitable donation, I will not go down on the
price (if no buyers emerge by March 1st, it's off to ebay). It will be sold
first come, first served basis.Please, no haggling, and I hope that we can
find a nice home for this little red computer, while supporting a worthy
charity as well. Best regards,Lionel
zuckier(a)aecom.yu.edu
</CLIP>
Steve Robertson - <steverob(a)hotoffice.com>
<In which case you're restricting it to PCs and clones only I would think.
<
<The PC printer port has 12 outputs and 5 inputs IIRC. But for a _printer_
<you really only need to have the 8 data lines, strobe and either ack or
<busy. The others can normally be ignored. But non-printer PC parallel
<port devices often use all 17 lines for whatever purpose (e.g. reading a
<nybble in on 4 of the 5 inputs)
The implmentationwas full centronics parallel. The extra inputs are
PAPER OUT and a few other status indicators.
<Before that, centronics ports tended to be the 36 pin amphenol connector.
<But there were other printer port standards as well - like Data Products
<that was used on some line printers. And of course serial printer ports
<(RS232, current loop, etc).
Commonly it was 34 or 40 pin card edge or the amphenol that we see on the
back of the printer but 37 pin DB connectors were used as well.
In the olden days there were two common and nearly similar parallel ports.
Data Products (also used for DEC LP25/26/27) and Centronics.
Allison
>At 11:11 AM 2/15/99 -0500, Phil wrote:
>>Purchased a Sanyo MBC 550 today at the local thrift for $3.50..
> Then you paid about $3.50 too much!
>>Just the CPU, no monitor or Keyboard..
> OOPS! The keyboard is special, only the Sanyo one will work on the 550.
>>Anyone know how many of them were produced ?
>
> Lots and lots and lots. I used to see them all over.
>
> Joe
Joe, I know that you a special love for these machines (Sanyo 550) I have
read your comments on the forum on the one you soaked so much money in
trying to get it to run.. (HeHe)!!!
Maybe they are worth collecting in the fact that they could possibly be the
most "Incompatible" "Compatible" early DOS machine ever produced.. <HeHe>!!
Anyway if they are so plentiful in Orlando how about getting me a Keyboard
and a monitor for it.. <Grin>!!
I still have some have some change left from the $3.50 I paid for the CPU...
Phil...
BTW: The Clerk at the Thrift store was convinced it was a VCR, and now that
I look at it, it does look very much like a VCR..
Same size, Same color (Metal Gray / Black Front)..
OK that makes it collectable Right !!!!
"In the year 2525 (If man is still alive, if woman can survive) Commodore 64
computers will still be plentiful and routinely sold at Garage Sales"
I've never heard of the M(icro)SOKit 68, but I'm wondering how many other
enterprising teachers designed their own small systems for training?
I have a "U of T 6809" board, a teaching aid developed by the University of
Toronto in the early 80s and manufactured for them by a Toronto company. At
one time they were even advertised nationally in one of the Canadian hobby
electronics magazines. It was a single-board system with a monitor/debugger
in eprom, and you'd run it from a terminal. You could develop programs
on-board, or download 6809 code from a host system and run it on the card.
Does anyone else have one of these?
Arlen Michaels
On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, Lawrence Walker" <lwalker(a)mail.interlog.com> wrote:
> In 1983 at the end of taking a digital tech course at a community
> college
> here in Toronto at George Brown CC, I spent about a month assembling and
> debugging a trainer kit that my prof was marketing, similar but more
> sophisticated than the Heathkit ET34400. It was called a M(icro)SOKit 68.
> It was based , of course, like the ET3400 on the M6800 CPU. Does anyone
> have
> one of these out there ? It was geared to teach students about micros by
> building their own micro. I know he sold a number of them, but don't know
> how
> many. I have the manual, parts #s, etc. if anyone is interested. Included
> in
> the manual is a couple of pages of layouts obviously meant to be
> photocopied
> and etched.
>
> ciao larry
> lwalker(a)interlog.com
>
--
Arlen Michaels amichael(a)nortelnetworks.com