<Allison,
< Do you remember a worm that some sysadmin (North, South Carolina or
<someplace like
<that?) turned loose on his systems, back around 89-90, and _forgot_ to
<isolate his network from the general DECnet? I sure do.. Spent most of a
Yes... I had to put securepak on VIDSYS:: and it was the first time the
vax crashed seems there rev levels were a bit off. The machine was never
quite as stable after that until I reinstalled when 5.3-2 came out. The
istability was an inherited problem from the former sysop and system
owner. I still have VIDSYS:: and it's still running 5.4-4 and securepak
though I've trimed as much as I dare off.
Allison
First off it's ok, I'm ok!
<Allison wrote:
<> FYI the speed attained at
<> that point is some 3600mph far from orbital velocity.
<
<I'm not sure how to parse that. Are you saying that it was traveling at
<3600 MPH, which is far from orbital velocity (i.e., a missing comma), or
<that it was travelling at 3600 MPH less than orbital velocity?
Sorry bout that. I do tend to be a tad graphlexic the comma should have been
there. It was velocity of 3600. they need 17500+ to orbit.
<(In any case, the use of the word velocity is incorrect. Velocity is
<a vector, as I had drilled into me in Physics class.)
Their forward speed, velocity. I'm a pilot and am quite used to having
vectors influence the direction and speed that is indicated vs ground
track.
<The NASA reference I posted earlier claims:
< At this point in its trajectory, while traveling at a Mach number
< of 1.92 at an altitude of 46,000 feet, the Challenger was totally
< enveloped in the explosive burn.
Downrange groundtrack speed is far lower as the vector is still mostly
vertical (still greater than 60degrees) at that part of the mission.
If memory serves the debrie field was a rough footprint of 20 wide by
80 miles long (for the greater part of the material).
As to what computer... Not sure myself totally. It's my belief that the
IBMs are high level systems management computers and they command the
engine computers. The engines have their own local computers to handle
their realtime needs. Same applies to several other systems.
I consider spacecraft/aviation computers to be both classic and of great
interest. Most are very system and mission specific thus may be nothing
more than sequential controllers. Still, I'm curious.
Allison
--- I opened up the 419 drive, No wonder it failed, someone drilled a 5/16"
>hole thru the cover and all three platters! This thing was mounted under a
>circuit board and inside a steel case. Everything was very neatly put back
>together. Who would go to that much trouble to wreck a drive and why?
>
> Joe
Gads! I've heard of reformatting old drives for security reasones, but this
one takes the Cake...
Quick and easy way to eliminate a data getting in the wrong hands I guess..
I have this weird drive on an old mini (Honeywell DPS6). These things
have an internal fixed disk, plus, you have to put in a disk pack in
them also. Well, on one of my drives, the belt that runs between the
drive spindle and the motor broke. Where can I find a replacement?
Manufacturer: Magnetic Peripheral
Equip ID# BJ7D3-A
Part # 77708003
Series Code 01
Another thing, I think the drive might be refurbished or something. On
the serial number on one of them, atleast (the working drive) it has a
hand-written "R" after the number.
Anybody who can help me, please do. In fact, if you can help me with
anything about the DPS6 or with GCOS6, I will be forever thankful. From
what I've heard, GCOS6 is sort of a GCOS/Unix hybrid. Should be
interesting.
Also, if by chance, you know of an old Unix variant that would run on
this baby, that could be nice too. I think having an old 7th edition
Unix system would be nice. However, I think having GCOS6 would be
really nice, too.
Regards,
J.S. Havard
Head Geek
The Seven Sages Project
Regards,
J.S. Havard
-
----=(enigma(a)intop.net)=----------------------------------------------
This message was sponsored in part by John Havard. Copywrong (c)
1998 by John Havard under the terms and conditions of no sort of
public license. All prices subject to change. Void where prohibited.
Tax, title, and license fees not included. All rights reserved.
------------------------=(www.intop.net/~enigma/)=--------------------
I doubt it was security concerns, since there are companies which can
recover data from all the parts of the platters which weren't drilled.
Either that, or the security person who ordered it really doesn't know
what they're doing...
Megan Gentry
Former RT-11 Developer
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '@' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
>Phil Clayton wrote:
>>
>> Purchased a Sanyo MBC 550 today at the local thrift for $3.50..
>> Just the CPU, no monitor or Keyboard..
>> Haven't really tested it yet, but I did power it up with no monitor or
keyboard
>> and it tried to access drive A:
>> Wonder if this thing has any real value.
>> Anyone know how many of them were produced ?
>
>I was over at the thrift store today, and saw a Sanyo MBC 555 and the
>monitor for $1.91 each; don't know if it had a keyboard or not. I have
>three of them here along with keyboards, and two monitors.
Can you get me a monitor & keyboard ?
I goto the thrift stores all the time here in Fort Myers, FL
and have never seen one of these in all the piles of computers I rumage
through all the time. Must depend on where you live.
I guess I will box this thing up and add it to my ever increasing collection
of obsolite computers taking up more and more space in my garage.
And I thought I got a good buy at only $3.50.. <Grin>!!!
Phil...
-----Original Message-----
From: Cameron Kaiser <ckaiser(a)oa.ptloma.edu>
>::Greetings Dyslexia of Borg, I am Typo from the planet Vulcan.
>Hmm, my sister and I came up with
Damn, you figured it out... I'm your long lost sister...
;)
Well, if you mean the rescue I think you mean, it's actually in the Indian
Ocean. That's where the Challenger went down. The fuel tank and solids
(booster rockets) went down near Florida, but the Challenger went down on
the far side of Africa if memory serves me.
I, along with others, had the job of analyzing the potential failure modes
in the engine controller in the wake of the Challenger accident. It's
quite an interesting device, considering it's made of really old and simple
TTL logic with plated wire memory (faster, though not much, than core of
that generation). It had no stack, and therefore a different way of
"calling" a subroutine, requiring you to have your program store in
read/write memory. This ultimately meant that flaws masked by the
redundancy of the system could become "inherited" from one mission to the
next. There were other pitfalls as well.
Dick
----------
> From: Sam Ismail <dastar(a)ncal.verio.com>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: Who invented the internet?
> Date: Wednesday, February 17, 1999 11:53 AM
>
> On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Richard Erlacher wrote:
>
> > It's somewhat divergent from the current topic, but it might interest
some
> > to know that the Honeywell '516 is the engine control computer which
was
> > still in use on the space shuttle at the time of the Challenger
accident.
> > There were two, one redundant, for each engine, of which I believe
there
> > were three.
>
> Do I sense a potential rescue mission somewhere off the coast of Florida?
>
> Sellam Alternate e-mail:
dastar(a)siconic.com
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
> Always hasslin' the man.
>
> Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
> See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
> [Last web site update: 02/15/99]