No... It has been a long while since I read it too but IIRC the article was
something like 'How to teach a matchbook to play tic tac toe'
- Mike: dogas(a)leading.net
-----Original Message-----
From: blstuart(a)bellsouth.net <blstuart(a)bellsouth.net>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Thursday, February 18, 1999 9:56 PM
Subject: Re: question about viruses
>In message <01be5b3b$65657aa0$d3c962cf@devlaptop>, "Mike" writes:
>>Speaking of _Adikesence of P1_ .... Does anyone know the SciAm issue date
>>for the referenced matchbook neural net ???
>
>It's been a long time since I read the book (I really should
>read it again, now that the subject has come up). But if
>he're refering to the article I think, it's by Martin
>Gardner. Unfortunately, I can't find a full reference.
>(Somewhere I've got a photocopy of it, but I can't find it
>right now.) Anyway, I do find that it came from a 1962 issue.
>
>In the article, Gardner defines (I can't remember if he references
>anyone else) a simple game played with six pawns played on a 3x3
>board. Using 24 matchboxes, he shows a learning machine called
>Hexapawn Educational Robot (HER).
>
>I've got a fond spot in my heart for this one of Gardner's
>articles. A simplified version was printed under the title
>"How to Play Hexapawn" in the collection called *The New Reader's
>Digest Treasury for Young Readers,* a copy of which was given to
>me by a relative when I was a kid. It sparked my interest in AI
>which reached it climax about seven years ago when I defended my
>dissertation in machine learning.
>
>Brian L. Stuart
>
I couldn't send e-mail to you.
> book. Still, in my paper, Apple Worm (published in the November
> 1986 issue of Call A.P.P.L.E. magazine - as the cover story), I
> make reference to the book.
That's a name I haven't heard in a while.
What was your involvement with A.P.P.L.E.?
I grew up with the Apple ][. (I mostly played games, although I wrote a few
interesting programs which I may still have.) I've lived in Seattle for the
past 16 years, and my family belonged to A.P.P.L.E. We didn't go to many
meetings. I was the main computer user in the family, but I was much too
young to drive; my mom was almost totally uninterested in computers at the
time, and my dad was only slightly interested.
(Admittedly, I still can't drive, because my vision is not good enough, but
I think you see what I mean. And I only got one good game out of my
parents, which I let them sell -- see below.)
Still, at one time we had a stack of magazines, a lowercase chip for our
Apple ][+, something else (came in a plastic bag with a white manual, like
the lowercase chip, except the title was in yellow instead of orange...
maybe related to accounting? I don't remember), The Graphics Magician (?)
and its companion program, The Mummy's Curse, and assorted public-domain
disks. This was all from A.P.P.L.E.
I'm not nearly as Apple-centric as I used to be (for example, I now
appreciate the design of the Atari and Commodore, which I basically sneered
at when I was younger; and I'm experienced enough to understand the ]['s
flaws). But I still feel fond about my Apples. The access to machine
language is still a strong point, the disk system has an admirable design,
and some of the software produced for the ][ still amazes me. And we sold
the software we had and now I'm looking for some replacement items. :(
-- Derek
On Thursday, February 18, 1999 10:17 AM, Joe [SMTP:rigdonj@intellistar.net] wrote:
> >On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Joe wrote:
> >
> >> I need a Seagate ST-419 to replace one that failed in a HP computer.
> >> Anyone got one to spare?
>
> I opened up the 419 drive, No wonder it failed, someone drilled a 5/16"
> hole thru the cover and all three platters! This thing was mounted under a
> circuit board and inside a steel case. Everything was very neatly put back
> together. Who would go to that much trouble to wreck a drive and why?
>
> Joe
Joe,
Drill about 18 more and put it up for auction ;-)
Steve Robertson - <steverob(a)hotoffice.com>
Ok, so I'm not a big calculator collector. ;-) However, I did pick up a
neat little box recently, one that I'd like to (a) find out, ballpark, what
similar units have been going for on the swap market, and (b), use it
myself for a while.
What I've gotten is an HP-65, in pretty darn good shape, in its hard case
with a bunch of the program pacs and all its manuals. I know I've got at
least one, possibly two EE pacs, a stat pac, and others that I've not
looked at just yet.
The batteries are dead, of course, so I think I'd like to get them
replaced at least. Are they generic NiCds or what?
Thanks in advance.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio:(WD6EOS) E-mail: kyrrin(a)bluefeathertech.com
SysOp: The Dragon's Cave (Fido 1:343/272, 253-639-9905)
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."
Yep, its the same thang, Sellam.
I have the manual for this machine. There is a similar machine, the VZ-300.
A
--
Andrew Davie adavie(a)mad.scientist.com
Museum of Soviet Calculators
http://www.comcen.com.au/~adavie/slide/calculator/soviet.html
Yahoo! Netscape, New Scientist, The Wall Street Journal, Newsweek and UK
Independant Cool Site!
>VZ200, eh? Interesting. Maybe you Oz-nerds can shed some light on this.
>I recently acquired a Dynasty Smart Alec Jr. Its a small computer with a
>chiclet keyboard. Almost reminds me of a Mattel Aquarius. Anyway, on the
>bottom the label reads that its a model VZ200, made by VTech (or Video
>Technology) circa 1982. Is this the same thing perhaps as a Dick Smith
>VZ200?
>
>Sellam Alternate e-mail:
dastar(a)siconic.com
>Gads! I've heard of reformatting old drives for security reasones, but
>this one takes the Cake... Quick and easy way to eliminate a data
>getting in the wrong hands I guess..
Quick and easy way of removing a few bytes, that's all.
As I mentioned previously, there are companies which specialize
in data recovery from disks... and the disks don't even have to be
operational.
Megan Gentry
Former RT-11 Developer
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '@' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
Anyone have any boards made by CESI in their PDP8/e ? I have a bunch of
advertizement fliers describing many of these boards, if somoene is
interested in the information. They made a replacement cpu board and
quite a few other boards.
-Lawrence LeMay
Speaking of _Adikesence of P1_ .... Does anyone know the SciAm issue date
for the referenced matchbook neural net ???
Thanks
- Mike: Dogas(a)leading.net
-----Original Message-----
From: Derek Peschel <dpeschel(a)u.washington.edu>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Thursday, February 18, 1999 1:10 AM
Subject: Re: question about viruses
>> _Adolesence of P1_ was mid-70s. I just got another copy at a thrift
>> store. Is it any good?
>
>I haven't read most of it. But if you want to learn about: a) how OS/360
>works, and b) how little computer power you really need for an
artificially-
>intelligent program (*smirk*), this is the book for you.
Can someone tell me the difference between a Memorex Model 101 and Model
102, and between a Fujitsu Model 2301 and Model 2302?
Thanks.
Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar(a)siconic.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always hasslin' the man.
Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
[Last web site update: 02/15/99]
Wouldn't it just be quicker to remove all the partitions? And if the extra
time is taken to reformat it, the drive can be sold if it is still usable.
In the case that the hole was drilled through it, the drive may have died,
leaving no way to reformat it.
--
-Jason Willgruber
(roblwill(a)usaor.net)
ICQ#: 1730318
<http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
-----Original Message-----
From: musicman38(a)mindspring.com <musicman38(a)mindspring.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Thursday, February 18, 1999 2:23 PM
Subject: Re: What the hell is this!!! was Re: I need a ST-419 hard drive
>
>--- I opened up the 419 drive, No wonder it failed, someone drilled a 5/16"
>>hole thru the cover and all three platters! This thing was mounted under
a
>>circuit board and inside a steel case. Everything was very neatly put back
>>together. Who would go to that much trouble to wreck a drive and why?
>>
>> Joe
>
>Gads! I've heard of reformatting old drives for security reasones, but this
>one takes the Cake...
>Quick and easy way to eliminate a data getting in the wrong hands I guess..
>
>
>