I'm afraid that I haven't found any documentation that could help me
understand how to use OS278 or PAL. A few specific questions, if there's
no online users' guide of any sort:
How do I access the second floppy drive?
How do I make an empty file?
Please give me an example of what command you would enter to make a PAL
'Hello, World!' program, save it, and run it. Thanks
--Max Eskin (max82(a)surfree.com)
Security concerns?
______________________________ Reply Separator
_________________________________
Subject: What the hell is this!!! was Re: I need a ST-419 hard drive
Author: classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu at internet
Date: 2/18/99 2:19 PM
>On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Joe wrote:
>
>> I need a Seagate ST-419 to replace one that failed in a HP computer.
>> Anyone got one to spare?
I opened up the 419 drive, No wonder it failed, someone drilled a 5/16"
hole thru the cover and all three platters! This thing was mounted under a
circuit board and inside a steel case. Everything was very neatly put back
together. Who would go to that much trouble to wreck a drive and why?
Joe
------ Message Header Follows ------
Received: from lists4.u.washington.edu by smtp.itgonline.com
(PostalUnion/SMTP(tm) v2.1.9i(b5) for Windows NT(tm))
id AA-1999Feb18.141931.1767.100595; Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:19:34 -0500
Received: from host (server(a)lists.u.washington.edu [140.142.56.13])
by lists4.u.washington.edu (8.9.2+UW99.01/8.9.2+UW99.01) with SMTP id
LAA29647;
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:16:53 -0800
Received: from mxu1.u.washington.edu (mxu1.u.washington.edu [140.142.32.8])
by lists.u.washington.edu (8.9.2+UW99.01/8.9.2+UW99.01) with ESMTP id LAA2
8480
for <classiccmp(a)lists.u.washington.edu>; Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:16:45 -0800
Received: from star1.intellistar.net (star1.intellistar.net [206.105.64.2])
by mxu1.u.washington.edu (8.9.1+UW98.09/8.9.1+UW98.09) with ESMTP id LAA10
573
for <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>; Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:16:44 -0800
Received: from lizard ([206.105.68.186]) by star1.intellistar.net
(Post.Office MTA v3.1 release PO203a ID# 0-41809U2500L250S0)
with SMTP id AAB2534 for <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>;
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:16:41 -0500
Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19990218151716.305fe37c(a)intellistar.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 15:17:16
Reply-To: classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu
Sender: CLASSICCMP-owner(a)u.washington.edu
Precedence: bulk
From: Joe <rigdonj(a)intellistar.net>
To: "Discussion re-collecting of classic computers"
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Subject: What the hell is this!!! was Re: I need a ST-419 hard drive
In-Reply-To: <Pine.SCO.4.05.9902171742270.9256-100000(a)crash.cts.com>
References: <3.0.1.16.19990217185314.305f1cc0(a)intellistar.net>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: rigdonj(a)intellistar.net
X-Listprocessor-Version: 8.1 beta -- ListProcessor(tm) by CREN
I have a noisy ST 251 hard drive. It sounds like the bearings.
Is it heretical to think I may be able to lubricate the bearings?
They appear to be easily accessible on the bottom of the drive.
Thanks,
Dave
The Dayton Hamfest is a fabulous show. It is THE LARGEST amateur radio convention [it's "official" purpose]. The Hara arena is a very good size facility, I'd guess in the over 100,000 sq. ft. range (perhaps WAY over), and it's all indoor, heated/air conditioned [not that it works with 35,000 people in the facility], and all commercial vendors, many, many of which are used computer and surplus dealers (there is lots of new stuff also). It's about 60%-70% computer, the rest general electronics and communications [radio] equipment.
The flea market takes up the entire parking lot, in excess of 2,500 vendors. There are many commercial exhibits in the parking lot also, you will find a number of very large tents (10,000 square feet range each). Mendelson surplus always has a large tent, and almost every year Radio Shack [as in Tandy] collects their entire surplus and returned merchandise stuff from all over the nation and sends it all to a big tent at the Dayton Hamfest where it is sold for often ten cents on the retail dollar. However they didn't do this last year, for the first time I can remember, but they still had a huge indoor exhibit with many items, new, at 25% to 50% below normal store and catalog prices.
The show is logistically difficult to attend for several reasons. First, it brings in so many people [over 25,000 plus a large local population] that poor Dayton, which is hardly a tourist mecca, is complete swamped. You can forget about finding a hotel at this point, the people who do this show get their reservations a year in advance. You may have to stay in Columbus or Cincinnati [both about 70 miles away], fortunately both are directly on an interstate highway and it's not a bad drive. The other problem is parking, since the entire lot is flea market there isn't any ! There are some LARGE fields around the complex that are used for parking, expect to pay $5 to $10 per day, and they are not paved, or very close, which become a real issue in bad weather. Then there are remote lots with busses, but that's a hassle also.
The show is May 14, 15, 16.
Here is an alternative, the Dayton Microcomputer association has a twice a year computer show at the same site. It's just about as large as the Hamfest, and it's ALL computer. There is no flea market, the parking lot is used for - surprise ! - PARKING ! It's almost like having 3 Dayton Hamfests a year, except that two of them don't have the flea market. This year's dates (it's only a two-day show):
Spring: March 13-14
Summer/Fall: August 28-29
I plan to attend all 3 events.
I don't read German But the pictures are perfectly understandable...
http://www.zock.com/8-Bit/D_Laser200.HTML
>> VZ200, eh? Interesting. Maybe you Oz-nerds can shed some light on this.
>> I recently acquired a Dynasty Smart Alec Jr. Its a small computer with a
>> chiclet keyboard. Almost reminds me of a Mattel Aquarius. Anyway, on
the
>> bottom the label reads that its a model VZ200, made by VTech (or Video
>> Technology) circa 1982. Is this the same thing perhaps as a Dick Smith
>> VZ200?
>>
>>
>
>It certainly sounds like it, I believe the VZ200 was cloned as something
else in
>England (can't recall off hand the name of it). But the year & keyboard
match. Is
>it a white case ?
>cheers,
> Lance
>
>
>
<I finally picked up the DECMate III that was at my uncle's house. The WPS
<binders and software got thrown away, but I suppose I could download that
<stuff from SunSite. I have been told that this is a PDP-8. Is it possible
You can get os/278 as well.
<to use 8" disks with this? It only has a dual 5.25" drive (RX50?).
Yes they are RX50s. There was no provision for 8" disks on the DMIII.
FYI: 8" RX01 were 512blocks (256k), 8" RX02 were 1000blocks(512k) and RX50s
are 800blocks (400k). So the 5.25 media is really nicer.
<Forgive me, I am not familiar with DEC machines. Oh, and one more thing.
<Can the screen/keyboard be replaced with a PC running a terminal emulator?
<The screen is attached via a 15-pin cable but otherwise resembles a
<VT-220. Thanks.
No. It expects a VRR201 monitor and a LK201 or LK401 keyboard. There are
two serial ports, modem and serial printer.
The chances of getting those are really good around here (eastern MA) and if
by may you don't have one the MIT flea is a good shot.
Allison
Hey Joe!
I went down to the junkyard near where I worked, and
managed to turn not one, not two, but *three*
HP 9133XV's! There were also "V"'s a "D", and an "H".
I grabbed one of the XV's, and plan to test it with my
9816. If the platters are in good condix, would you be
interested? I could even just pull the HDD unit (14.8Mb :)
and send *that* if you like!
Jeff
___________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
On 17 Feb 99 at 9:29, Arlen Michaels wrote:
> I've never heard of the M(icro)SOKit 68, but I'm wondering how many other
> enterprising teachers designed their own small systems for training?
>
> I have a "U of T 6809" board, a teaching aid developed by the University of
> Toronto in the early 80s and manufactured for them by a Toronto company. At
> one time they were even advertised nationally in one of the Canadian hobby
> electronics magazines. It was a single-board system with a monitor/debugger
> in eprom, and you'd run it from a terminal. You could develop programs
> on-board, or download 6809 code from a host system and run it on the card.
>
> Does anyone else have one of these?
>
> Arlen Michaels
>
> --
> Arlen Michaels amichael(a)nortelnetworks.com
>
Hi Arlen, nice to see you're still lurking.
The manual I have was a 3rd edition dated 1982, (the 2nd 1981) so he must
have sold quite a few of these. The company was known as CompuKits and
TMK was marketed widely in N. A. His name IIRC Was Jim Reiss. I'll have to see
if he's still at my old alma mater. It's possible the one you're talking about
was a later model if he joined the Uof T faculty.
The built kit looked really neat. Everything was entered from the console by
toggle switches or pushbuttons and it had LED indicators. It had provisions to
expand memory allowing use of Motorola's MIKBUG monitor ROM to interface with a
T-T or RS232 device as well as a provision to add 256 bytes of non-volatile
memory. You could expand memory up to 8k x 8 static ram and suggests you use
the less expensive and smaller chips like the 2102 rather than the 6810s used
in RAM 1 and RAM 2. Would be an interesting project to build one, if I ever get
the time.
ciao larry
lwalker(a)interlog.com