Here's another Pro 380 question. I asked it on the pdp11 newsgroups
and got no answers. Maybe you can do better here!
Has anyone ever upgraded a memory expansion card (000034, plugs into
slot 0-5 of the CTI bus) from 64Kbit to 256Kbit chips? (256KB to 1MB)
You can easily do this with the memory card that plugs into the
mother board--there's even two empty jumpers waiting for stuffing.
Is it possible? If someone thinks they can do it, I'll gladly
contribute a board for a proof-of-concept test. You keep the board
as long as you tell me how to do it!
Dave
Hi all. I'm feeling clueless at this point. I've found the CPM caldera
site and downloaded everything that looked appropriate, but I'm completely
unclear how to turn this into a kaypro boot disk. I've put a 360k PC
drive on my PC in the hopes of using it to write the disk. I've also
downloaded teledisk.
Now what?
--
Jim Strickland
jim(a)DIESPAMMERSCUMcalico.litterbox.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Vote Meadocrat! Bill and Opus in 2000 - Who ELSE is there?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings, Classic Computer Fans,
I've just subscribed. I've heard about this list for a long time, and have
been recommended to check it out by a number of folks, so...here I am.
My name is Rick Bensene. I live near Portland, Oregon. Some here may know
me from my old calculator collection (which I'll shamlessly plug here:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lab/7510), which is my substitute
for collecting old computers. (Calculators take up less space)
I've been involved with computers since the early 1970's. I currently work
as a technologist at a large Electronic Design Automation software company.
I've always loved computers, and though I don't actively collect them,
I am hoping to live vicariously through all you folks who are active in
collecting.
I have a few older computers that I've run across, mostly as orphans.
These include a Tandy 100 (who doesn't have one of these?), a Tandy 600, a
Sun 3/50, a Sun 4/360, A couple of Tektronix 6130's, a Tektronix 4132, and
a Tektronix 4319. I worked at Tektronix for 13 years, from '77 through '90,
so
I have a particular affection for Tektronix equipment.
I've used/administrated/hacked/programmed quite a range of computers,
ranging from
a CDC Cyber 73 and later Cyber 176 at Tektronix, VAX 11/780's running both
VMS and
4BSD Unix, A Gould Powernode 9080 (interesting, all ECL machine with
dual processors), a DEC PDP8/E(OS8), a DEC RSTS system (running on
PDP 11/45), varios 11-based systems running RT-11, HP 2000C, E, F, and
ACCESS
timeshare systems, Apollo Domain OS (DN300, DN3000-series), Sun from as
early as the 68K-based VME-bus systems to latest Ultras, early HPUX machines
(700-series workstations), IBM RT workstation, IBM 360/30, early
micros (Altair, IMSAI, North Star Horizon, ProcTech SOL), Commodore PET,
TRS-80, TRS-80 Color Computer, homebrew stuff (8008, 8080 and 6809),
Tektronix 4051, Tektronix 6130/4132, Tektronix 4081, Tektronix
43xx-workstations, Alpha Micro (from the early LSI-11-based days), an old
(early 1960's) computer made by 3M
(can't remember the model number, but I'll write up some memories about it
for
the list), a SCM 7816 (strange beast, a cross between a computer and a
calculator), and of course, PC's since the original. I've programmed in
FORTRAN, COBOL, just about all variants of BASIC, C, Perl, Pascal, and in
assembly on PDP-8, PDP-11, IBM 360, Interdata 7/16, 8008, 8080, Z80, 6800,
6809, 8051, 8085, 8086, National 320xx, and 68K.
I'm looking forward to sharing memories with the list, and, as mentioned,
hearing about your memories, and all the great collector finds out there.
Best wishes to all,
Rick Bensene
Here's the list of S-100 hardware I've turned up in the last mess of boxes,
etc to be unearthed in my basement and transferred to open air storage in
my carport. This is only a partial list of what I've uncovered this
afternoon, and an extended list will be available later today.
There is other stuff, not yet inventoried, but that will be later, if at
all.
Cromemco 21-slot unterminated Motherboard in VECTOR cardcage - assembled
but never used.
MSC (later became XEBEC) 9391 5Mbps HARD DISK controller. This controller
is functional and capable of handling 16 or fewer heads at 512-byte or
256-byte sector sizes and steps the drive at 3ms per step, which was
typical back in 1980. This was the one we used most.
XCOMP HDC 2-board set. These are set up for 8" drives only and require one
write the BIOS patch or back end driver oneself.
Franklin Electric 3-UART serial I/O board
DC Hayes Micromodem-100 including documentation and software
SSM IO4 2P+2S I/O Board with documentation. No software was provided since
everyone wrote their own BIOS patches for it.
North Star Z80A CPU card
California Computer Systems 2810 Z80A CPU card, with monitor prom.
California Computer Systems 2422 FDC for both 8 & 5.25" drives, with
monitor/boot prom
California Computer Systems 4-port serial card.
California Computer Systems 64K DRAM card
Vector Graphics 64K DRAM card
Extended Processing "BURNER, I/O" board - Prom Programmer with UARTS and
PIO not installed.
Processor Technology "CUTS" cassette interface? board
BIOTECH ELECTRONICS BCT800 graphics board - uses AMI 68047 chip and 12
2114's to produce 256x192 graphics and text.
Cromemco Dazzler video graphics board pair - There are two, but only one
set of doc's and software including paper tape.
MITS Modem board - a MITS serial board with a "MODEM BD" rider.
Hi,
I have a Chinon 8-bit ISA SCSI host adapter card, which came with my old Chinon
CDS-435 SCSI-1 CD-ROM drive.
The part number printed on the card is 66201UCSEP02.
The only provided driver software is for the Chinon CD-ROM. To use other SCSI
devices with this, I need appropriate drivers.
What I want to know is, was any "universal" driver software ever made for this
card, by which I probably mean an ASPI-compliant driver? If anyone has any
idea, or a suggestion of where might be a better place to ask this question,
please tell.
BTW, Tony Duell would really like this SCSI controller; *every* chip on the
card is simple 74-series TTL. :)
-- Mark
On Thursday, February 18, 1999 4:58 AM, Joe [SMTP:rigdonj@intellistar.net]
wrote:
> At 04:09 PM 2/17/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >Michael,
> >
> >Are those belts problematic?
>
> Yes, the belts and the drive wheel for the tape drives disintegrate
with
> age.
Looking at my machine, I can see that the drive wheel for the tape drive is
pretty funky. I haven't tried to use it (don't have a cartridge) but, it'll
probably fail.
Is there a common source for drive wheels?
What about the cartridges?
Thanks,
Steve Robertson - <steverob(a)hotoffice.com>
Joe wrote:
> No, I'm not sure. I'm just using the initialize command in HP BASIC and
>the format command in HP CPM. That's the only "tools" they give you. I
>have no idea how to do a low level format on these.
This made think of a problem my friend was trying to solve a while ago. His
boss asked him to fix a 386 because of a quite spectacular Windows 3.11
crash. My friend couldn't even format the hard drive using the traditional
MS-DOS format programs so he tried the Packard Bell diagnostic disk that had
come with his old 486 (terrible machine, everything was built into the
motherboard). It turned out that it was doing a low-level format which
killed the IDE drive. I've never understood why Packard Bell who sold many
of their computers to novices would ship something that could damage the
hardware. To save face my friend just said the Windows crash had messed up
the machine and I let him have one of the 40Mb hard drives I owned at the
time.
--
Gareth Knight
Amiga Interactive Guide | ICQ No. 24185856
http://welcome.to/aig | "Shine on your star"
I'm trying to make room for a child and her progeny in my basement, hence
have moved some items into the carport . . .
Since todays weather is good, I'm out sifting through the stuff looking for
items of interest, and find I have a MITS modem board.
Would this be of interest to anyone?
Dick
There are supposed to be three of these board sets, though I saw one or two
for the first time in 20 years yesterday. One appears to be complete with
doc's and software, though the others, which I know were "played with" by
my associates, may not be as complete, and some duplicating may be called
for.
I'm pretty certain that I can lay hands on two of these sets more or less
right away, including one set of doc's and software, which I believe I held
in my hands yesterday. The quandary arises out of the fact that there is
at least one other board set, and i don't have a running CP/M box, since
I'm not a collector.
I've had a couple of modest cash offers, but would rather leave $$$ out of
the equation if possible. If you have anything swappable, I'm interested
in single-board computers, preferably small and simple, with documentation
and firmware so I can USE them for something.
If you're a Cromemco addict, you may be interested in the fact that I have
a couple of functional PERSCI floppy drives, which were commonly available
(though EXTREMELY expensive at the time) with the Cromemco systems back
when Computerland used to sell them. These are single-sided (model 277)
drives, of which one is packaged as an external unit complete with power
supply, while another enclosure is in some less-than-functional state and
extensively disassembled. I've recently looked at the power supply and
noted that the regulator circuitry is missing. I also have parts of a
third unit which is useable as parts only. What's probably more
interesting is that I have the maintenance documents for these PERSCI
drives. These are voice-coil-driven rather than stepping-motor-driven
units, (for which provision was made on the later Western Digital floppy
controllers) capable of stepping microseconds rather than milliseconds.
I also have quite a few enclosures, power supplies, cardcages,
motherboards, and other boards, mostly CPU's, FDC's, memory and I/O, some
as yet unassembled, some under repair, some fully functional.
Does this give you any suggestions?
regards,
Dick
----------
> From: Lawrence LeMay <lemay(a)cs.umn.edu>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: Cromemco Dazzler
> Date: Saturday, February 20, 1999 9:30 AM
>
> [Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > I was digging throught the pile of "stuff" from days of old, and find I
> > have a board-set (S-100) which is a Cromemco (remember them?) Dazzler
video
> > board set. I don't remember using this for anything. What probably
> > happened is that I read the doc's and determined it was indadequate for
my
> > purpose and set it aside . . . the box (the cardboard box in which it
was
> > pacakged by Cromemco, looks like sh*t but the contents were apparently
> > unharmed by the passage of 20 years, of which most were spent in the
junk
> > pile.
>
> The Dazzler produces a 128X128 resolution color raster image on a color
> monitor, or TV set if you use an RF modulator. It was the second board
> that Cromemco produced.
>
> >
> > Is anyone interested?
> >
>
> Sounds like something interesting to put in this Cromemco computer that
i'm
> upgrading, so i'd be interested in it. Do you have the documentation, or
> any of the software (the game of life, kaleidoscope, dazzle writer)
>
> -Lawrence LeMay